Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulanut View Post
Hello! I'd recommend 85044. Ahwatukee is a great area and w/in 40 minutes (at the most) of downtown Phoenix. Are you looking for an apartment first? Rental home? Plan to purchase down the line?

You'll likely wish to rent for a year to get a feel for the area. There is a wide range of apartment communities in 85044. Try the Carlyle or Rancho Ladera. I'd also recommend https://www.phoenix.gov/police/neigh...ime-stats-maps

This will help to narrow down what you consider to be safe. Ahwatukee is near South Mountain, which is a fabulous place to hike if you are into being outdoors in the beautiful cooler weather.

I will also recommend that when looking for a place to live, try to keep Western exposure to a minimum. If your home gets a lot of sun in the summer, you can expect electric bills of $200+. That being said, June, July and August are the months that you will have your highest bills. It balances out during the rest of the year with very low bills.

Good luck to you!
Paige
OP wanted 2bd2bth for $1,000/month, that's doubtful in Ahwatukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 12:13 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,677,007 times
Quote:
Hello! I'd recommend 85044. Ahwatukee is a great area and w/in 40 minutes (at the most) of downtown Phoenix. Are you looking for an apartment first? Rental home? Plan to purchase down the line?

You'll likely wish to rent for a year to get a feel for the area. There is a wide range of apartment communities in 85044. Try the Carlyle or Rancho Ladera. I'd also recommend https://www.phoenix.gov/police/neigh...ime-stats-maps

This will help to narrow down what you consider to be safe. Ahwatukee is near South Mountain, which is a fabulous place to hike if you are into being outdoors in the beautiful cooler weather.

I will also recommend that when looking for a place to live, try to keep Western exposure to a minimum. If your home gets a lot of sun in the summer, you can expect electric bills of $200+. That being said, June, July and August are the months that you will have your highest bills. It balances out during the rest of the year with very low bills.

Good luck to you!
Paige
Hello! I moved to Phoenix a year ago. I echo many of the above posters. My budget was similar too, but I only needed a one bedroom. The melrose area of central Phoenix, is a good bet, for less expensive but still being "central". Crime isn't high but it's near areas where I can get higher. It's a mixed income area and transitioning with new development, so it's good if you are living in a more transitional area.

I settled in Ahwatukee! It is more suburban feeling, but in northern Ahwatukee 85044 there's a lot of shopping/ convienant stores and the huge south mountain park for great outdoor recreation. It's very safe and right near highway actress. I am in northern section by Elliot road, so rent is lower and closer to tempe. Without traffic downtown Is 15 mins with plan on 25 to 30, still not bad and you are right by the airport and central to whole metro. Also development is walkable too. The older, but well cared for complexes, in neither Ahwatukee do have lower rents than many expect. You can find a two bedroom just slightly over 1000.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 AM

77 posts, read 74,563 times
Hi. I moved here a little over a year ago. Look at 85016 if you're flexible on rooms/bathrooms. You can stay in that budget if you're okay with a 2 bedroom/1 bath. You may be able to get a 2 baths place. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:34 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Quote:

Good luck to you!
Paige
Minimal sun exposure is a good recommendation but energy savings can still be achieved with things like sufficient insulation, dual-pane windows, a high-seer air-conditioning unit, and solar power.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:01 PM

32 posts, read 50,238 times
You are correct! Thanks for adding!

Old 11-14-2016, 07:27 AM

595 posts, read 1,258,417 times
Default Keeping an eye on this topic

From your other favorite cousin

Old 11-14-2016, 08:30 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,493,851 times
We found a unicorn in the Coronado district, a 2/1 house for $950. It belongs to a disinterested landlord who only owns one house and seems to be hanging onto it until he can sell it for a nice profit in a year or two. You may want to just drive around Coronado and look for rental signs. A lot of the houses around here are never advertised and are passed from one Coronado resident to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area