Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:06 PM

346 posts, read 341,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Add in next years hike in ACA fees of 125%+ and let's see how well people build wealth... It kills the cost of living when your health insurance is as much or more than your rent/mortgage payments. Especially when wages have remained stagnant or gone down.
Don't most people get health insurance via their employer? Not sure how that relates to anything here. What the cities in this list seem to show is either the city has ultra high wages or very reasonable housing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,118,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
Don't most people get health insurance via their employer? Not sure how that relates to anything here. What the cities in this list seem to show is either the city has ultra high wages or very reasonable housing costs.
I believe that is less and less the case. If I remember correctly I've read news stories where employers were doing there best to hand off healthcare to the exchanges as it was cheaper for them. While this couldn't really be done with large employers and full timers it certainly was a viable option for smaller ones or those that are part time workers.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:00 PM

346 posts, read 341,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I believe that is less and less the case. If I remember correctly I've read news stories where employers were doing there best to hand off healthcare to the exchanges as it was cheaper for them. While this couldn't really be done with large employers and full timers it certainly was a viable option for smaller ones or those that are part time workers.
That was theory being floated out by some labor market economists but from articles I've read having health insurance is a benefit that factors heavily in employees decision to choose to work at a given company. I haven't read anything saying the numbers have changed dramatically. That said, I would love to see a public option offered as a means of forcing price competition.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,722,824 times
Quote:
That was theory being floated out by some labor market economists but from articles I've read having health insurance is a benefit that factors heavily in employees decision to choose to work at a given company. I haven't read anything saying the numbers have changed dramatically. That said, I would love to see a public option offered as a means of forcing price competition.
It affected my decision, I just got two job offers, one had benefits and had me home two days/week, running to Los Angeles and Las Vegas, while the other kept me in Phoenix and got me home daily, but with no benefits, I took the one with benefits. At least I'm not OTR anymore

Old 11-07-2016, 06:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,118,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It affected my decision, I just got two job offers, one had benefits and had me home two days/week, running to Los Angeles and Las Vegas, while the other kept me in Phoenix and got me home daily, but with no benefits, I took the one with benefits. At least I'm not OTR anymore
That <bold> can be a huge benefit in and of itself, especially if you have a family...

Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,781 times
Quote:
If you're lucky enough to work for a big corporation your healthcare is usually covered with a minimal withdrawal from your paycheck, but many other people are not so lucky.

Small business owners, the self-employed, contractors, and employees at smaller companies usually have to purchase their own insurance, and the ACA benefits these people the most.

Then there are people who are between jobs and they have the option of ACA coverage or COBRA, whichever is the least expensive and provides the better coverage.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 10,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
I don't know how CNBC did that study and I usually don't think that studies from TV networks are reliable. As for population growth, that alone doesn't build wealth. Most people coming here are from the Midwest and never went to college. Employers are looking to relocate to areas with lots of college grads, like over in southern Cal, Denver, Salt Lake, and Seattle. Phoenix is a party town for Midwest transplants, until they settle down and have a family. Furthermore, the schools are horrible, and high school graduation rates are very low. The universities are not the best, the southern California universities turn out way more qualified graduates. The region is anti growth, anti business. Rental housing and homes are increasingly expensive, and grocers are setting prices much higher than New Mexico. Medical care, is horrible, with about 6 managed care companies from back east, who gobbled up all the private practises. Obama Care premiums are going up 110% compared to 25% nationwide. Watch out for Bob Littlefield, the anti growth Scottsdale mayor candidate. If you are single and reading this, hi, I'm single, too, and I'm going back to the west coast asap and advise the same, especially if you are on Obama Care or want a better paying job.
I wish you the best of luck in escaping the Phoenix area. Everything you say about living there is 100% true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area