Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 06:13 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,617,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor1111 View Post
The apartment which i lived in Scottsdale for 9 months have charged me 1400$ for new carpets, full unit paint, duct cleaning, ozone cleaning for the curry smell coming from the apartment after i ended the apartment lease. We have been living in US for 5 years and we never had this problem in the other apartments which we lived. Does anyone know if this is even legal to charge this much amount for the curry smell?
Check the laws. I don't think they can charge you for carpet that old regardless of damage. I know for a fact they cannot do that in California so I would check in Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,066,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Check the laws. I don't think they can charge you for carpet that old regardless of damage. I know for a fact they cannot do that in California so I would check in Arizona
The OP has no idea how old the carpet was/is. Reread the post and you will see they were only there for 9 months.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:43 PM

721 posts, read 737,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
First of, I will state I am a liberal and progressive and embrace diversity. With that said, I don't see this as discrimination or prejudice at all. I don't think any potential tennants want to move into a new apartment that has a heavy smell of cooking from the previous tennant, regardless of what it is. I think it is entirely reasonable for the landlord to bill reasonable costs to eliminate strong odors. Just because they can't be cleaned and eliminated with a heavy duty run of the mill cleaning doesn't mean the landlord is out to rip off the tennant.

If curry was changed to any other strong odor, I don't think people would be hating on the land lord.

Perhaps they should have changed the wording from curry smell to strong cooking odor. But it is what it is. Would you rent an apartment with an intense smell of cooking from previous tennants and just accept that as normal? Probably not. If I saw an apartment with a heavy odor, I would not rent there or sign the lease and just hope to air it out.
Did you pay a non-refundable cleaning deposit? if so, that should've taken care of the smell unless there were splash or damage marks that require deep cleaning and/or repair.Please read your tenants rights and if you want to contest there should be a website on this document for you to follow - > best of luck!! https://www.aaronline.com/wp-content..._04Mar2016.pdf

Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 PM

656 posts, read 816,127 times
I have a couple from Tamil Nadu that will move in, no questions asked.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:11 AM

37,188 posts, read 41,398,482 times
Apparently not all curry is created equal. If it is oil based, it can coat every surface and seep into carpets and drapes and be virtually impossible to remove. It is very similar to cigarette smoke in that regard.

OP, that is not normal wear and tear. It's damage, and you are responsible for remediating it. Pay up.

Look here at the measures to remove curry odor to sell a house - from a site about curry:

How to eliminate Curry smell?

"How to eliminate Curry smell to sell the house?
You will need about two weeks to prepare the house
1. Change all the air filters. Remove and discard curtains, and other upholstered furniture.
2. Wash all the surfaces with Vinegar solution (One cup of water, Two Tablespoons of white vinegar). Spray the carpet, and walls to a damp. Keep the windows open to let the house air-dry.
3. Buy 'Live Microbial Agent' sold at most of the hardware stores. Prepare a spray with equal amount of water. The Microbial agents have a live bacteria that eats odors. Spray the entire house with the live microbial agent (ceilings, walls, carpets, furniture and equipments). Keep the windows open to let the house air-dry for 2 days. Repeat this process 4 more times.
4. Paint the house. Add two Tablespoons of vanilla extract to every gallon of paint."

That is not what a landlord should have to do to turn over an apartment. It also doubt it would get the odor out of carpet.

Unless you are prepared to frequently wash the walls, ceilings, cabinets, and every appliance, light fixture, and article that will remain behind when you move out, expect similar charges when you leave your new apartment. You could reduce the expense by choosing an apartment with no carpeting at all.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:35 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,617,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The OP has no idea how old the carpet was/is. Reread the post and you will see they were only there for 9 months.
Still on the ownership to prvide proof. Otherwise any 20 year old carpet is only 1-2 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area