Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 05:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I'm not saying they shouldn't fight back. I'm saying they don't need to play the race card. And the fact that you would resort to threats shows a lot about your character.
I care deeply what an anonymous stranger named Bungle thinks of me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 05:49 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I care deeply what an anonymous stranger named Bungle thinks of me
You care enough to respond to me. That's all I could ever wish for. You're my new best internet friend.

XOXO

Old 10-27-2016, 08:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
I wouldn't whip that one out, even if I thought it was true. If OP wanted to go that route (and I don't think he has to), he shouldn't mention it at all. If that's something that's happening, there's no reason to set off any alarms that might prevent the landlord from making incriminating statements.

One avenue that might be worth exploring is a review of the actual costs of remediation. I know that in some states - and apparently in Arizona - you're only supposed to deduct the depreciated value of the damaged property from a deposit: if OP's cooking smells permeated a brand new carpet that was installed prior to him moving in, he might be out of luck, but if not, the loss is the depreciated value of the old carpet, not the full cost of the new carpet. If it was due to be replaced anyway as part of normal maintenance, it is worth $0. Similarly, if they always repaint, there was no unplanned expense caused by the smell.
Now this makes sense. <bold> You know, I'm not against questioning the figures, they do seem a bit high (heck, a LOT high) but I'm just sooooo tired of the constant "I'm a victim of raaacissssmmm" or "you are a raaaaacisssst" or any other insult just out of hand or because you want to "win".

Absolutely question what the landlord is quoting but don't accuse someone of something as serious as any kind of nefarious illegal behavior without REAL, solid proof.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
Earlier this year, a shady plumber substituted an inferior part in our bathroom and left a few grand of substandard work behind that wasn't up to code. Letting him talk without disclosing that I knew what he had done was wise. Instead, I patiently and amicably asked him some questions about the part and he ended up blurting out - recorded - that he knew he had ordered another part than the one I was specified, then lied about the value of the part and desperately tried to change the subject back to the leaks hoping that I didn't notice what he'd just said.

Worse, when we mailed him our demand letter prior to filing in small claims, he responded with an invoice demanding another $500 for repairs we never told him to make and didn't know about - he seems to have broken the toilet and repaired it without telling us. Hilariously, he included his copy of the work order on which he was apparently unaware that he'd scribbled notes adding these repairs and noting that it was "free, no charge". This guy actually stapled the evidence of his fraud to his fraud and clearly intends to use it as a bogus counter-claim.

With both of these, if I made a pre-emptive threat based on what I knew he was doing, he'd wise up and it wouldn't play out. In fact, giving him enough rope to hang himself has worked out so well that I actually hired an attorney just so we can demand that he pay our attorney's fees, because LOL.

Point being, if you think they're discriminating against Indian tenants, don't accuse them of it. Pretend you're oblivious and let them prove it. The more level-headed OP is about logically treating this cooking smell like any other cooking smell, the more likely the landlord is to give him some ammunition about their feelings on Indian tenants - if there's any truth to the idea that they're discriminating. If there isn't any truth to it, he never needs to mention it.
Just as an FYI, while AZ is a "One Party" state when it comes to recording not all states are and things could get very sticky legally if the landlord or other person being recorded lives in another state.

Just a point of information for those that may not be aware of recording laws...

Old 10-27-2016, 10:14 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
You care enough to respond to me. That's all I could ever wish for. You're my new best internet friend.

XOXO
Another bromance is born. I'm getting all watery eyed and fuzzy feeling.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:42 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Another bromance is born. I'm getting all watery eyed and fuzzy feeling.
You wanna get in on this?

Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
I think the "curry smell" is grossly exaggerated. I'm Mexican and I have cooked with curry and yes, the kitchen does smell pungent the night of cooking but to imply it permeates the carpet and dry walls permanently is science fiction. People should worry about pet dander more than curry smell from previous tenants.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM

656 posts, read 814,130 times
I would pay to live in a curry-smelling apartment. The benefits of tumeric are numerous.

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-1...s-of-turmeric/

Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Oh please, do you think this apartment would have used "curry smell" if the tenants were white? Give me a break! It's not about being p.c. it's just using common sense. The tenant is probably Indian and the tenant probably stereotyped and assumed that a strong odor was by default a curry smell because by default all Indians cook curry everyday and smell like it. In the pre-politically correct world, you could just outright discriminate like this and it was considered normal. If you talk to some older Americans, they still think civil rights including voting rights for minorities is being politically correct.
That's ridiculous. Im sorry. If something or someone stinks, regardless of race or food, they need to get out and/or pay for replacement furniture, carpet, etc, if they stink it up to high heaven.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:11 AM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Oh please, do you think this apartment would have used "curry smell" if the tenants were white? Give me a break! It's not about being p.c. it's just using common sense. The tenant is probably Indian and the tenant probably stereotyped and assumed that a strong odor was by default a curry smell because by default all Indians cook curry everyday and smell like it. In the pre-politically correct world, you could just outright discriminate like this and it was considered normal. If you talk to some older Americans, they still think civil rights including voting rights for minorities is being politically correct.
First of all, East Indians are caucasians.

Second, did it ever occur to you that some non-East Indians like curry and cook with it often---maybe everyday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area