Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,882,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's ridiculous. Im sorry. If something or someone stinks, regardless of race or food, they need to get out and/or pay for replacement furniture, carpet, etc, if they stink it up to high heaven.
what if you think curry is a delicious smell, or its a normal everyday smell?
Coming from SF a lot of the old apartments have a greasy smell, from years of cooking... its just a given ...

I have relatives that would throw up at the smell of a strong cheese, its smells disgusting to them (Im talking swiss cheese, not limburger)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,287,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's ridiculous. Im sorry. If something or someone stinks, regardless of race or food, they need to get out and/or pay for replacement furniture, carpet, etc, if they stink it up to high heaven.
Yep.

OP, you made the smell so now you have to pay for removing the smell in the apt. Common sense.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:21 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,315,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yep.

OP, you made the smell so now you have to pay for removing the smell in the apt. Common sense.
Again, ONLY if it states that in the contract

Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,108,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
A solid point! Contracts protect BOTH sides from the unknown, but one does have to read them prior to agreeing right?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:28 AM

15,256 posts, read 13,066,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
That's what you say.

Can you cite the relevant AZ Landlord/Tenant law? I'm interested because I plan on becoming a landlord in AZ.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:48 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,002,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
that's what you say.

Can you cite the relevant az landlord/tenant law? I'm interested because i plan on becoming a landlord in az.
a.r.s. § 33-1321 (d) & (g)

Quote:
d. upon termination of the tenancy, property or money held by the landlord as prepaid rent and security may be applied to the payment of all rent, and subject to a landlord's duty to mitigate, all charges as specified in the signed lease agreement, or as provided in this chapter, including the amount of damages which the landlord has suffered by reason of the tenant's noncompliance with § 33-1341 Within fourteen days, excluding saturdays, sundays or other legal holidays, after termination of the tenancy and delivery of possession and demand by the tenant the landlord shall provide the tenant an itemized list of all deductions together with the amount due and payable to the tenant, if any. Unless other arrangements are made in writing by the tenant, the landlord shall mail the itemized list and any amount due, by first class mail, to the tenant's last known place of residence.

Quote:
the tenant shall:

1. Comply with all obligations primarily imposed upon tenants by applicable provisions of building codes materially affecting health and safety.

2. Keep that part of the premises that he occupies and uses as clean and safe as the condition of the premises permit.

3. Dispose from his dwelling unit all ashes, rubbish, garbage and other waste in a clean and safe manner.

4. Keep all plumbing fixtures in the dwelling unit or used by the tenant as clean as their condition permits.

5. Use in a reasonable manner all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances including elevators in the premises.

6. Not deliberately or negligently destroy, deface, damage, impair or remove any part of the premises or knowingly permit any person to do so.

7. Conduct himself and require other persons on the premises with his consent to conduct themselves in a manner that will not disturb his neighbors' peaceful enjoyment of the premises.

8. Promptly notify the landlord in writing of any situation or occurrence that requires the landlord to provide maintenance or make repairs or otherwise requires the landlord to take action
e. if the landlord fails to comply with subsection d of this section the tenant may recover the property and money due the tenant together with damages in an amount equal to twice the amount wrongfully withheld.

f. this section does not preclude the landlord or tenant from recovering other damages to which the landlord or tenant may be entitled under this chapter.

g. during the term of tenancy the landlord may use refundable security deposits or other refundable deposits in accordance with any applicable provisions of the property management agreement. At the end of tenancy, all refundable deposits shall be refunded to the tenant pursuant to this section.
The entire AZ T/LL Residential Act is found in Title 33, Chapter 10, of the Arizona Revised Statutes.

Withholding for odors unrelated to cigarettes isn't a common occurrence. Espcially in the amount of 1400. The Act provides for instances of allowable withholding under 33-1341, none of which include offensive odors. LL also has a duty to mitigate damages, i.e. find the cheapest means to accomplish the goal of remediation.

***This is not and will never be any form of legal advice. The Revised Statutes are a matter of easily locatable public records.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:08 PM

32 posts, read 50,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Who is the management company? I know and have dealt with every single one in town and the silly games that they play. They, even use Computer Programs to calculate rents, because they don't have enough intelligence to figure it out on their own.

Send me a private message if you prefer.

No it is not legal since you cook with it, and that is just general wear and tear on the apartment. In other words, it would be no different than any odors left behind from a pet.

If you are Indian then they are also discriminating against you since curry is essential to your cuisine which is from your heritage.

As for removing odors, curry will go away quickly with windows open and carpets cleaned, and repainting. I've spent a lot of time in motels in Carlsbad and Monterey, Ca. When the Indians are not cooking, I don't smell it at the front desk. When they are cooking, it smells good.

I am very sorry about this. Scottsdale is not friendly to diversity. I can look up the management company and see what their lease states if you would like.

I have to disagree with the statement that you made about Scottsdale not being friendly to diversity. I've lived in Scottsdale for over 15 years. I've also lived in North Phoenix and Ahwatukee. Scottsdale is a city like any other, with pockets having more diversity than others. It's a beautiful, clean city with friendly residents. Like any other city you'll have unfriendly people from time to time. It's up to you to react in a way that encourages such behavior or in a way that is friendly and welcoming. I tire of people assuming that "Snottsdale" is a bad place to live.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:44 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,315,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That's what you say.

Can you cite the relevant AZ Landlord/Tenant law? I'm interested because I plan on becoming a landlord in AZ.
I am a landlord and I do not recall anything about odors being in the standard contract, but it's possible

Old 10-28-2016, 02:01 PM

22,541 posts, read 12,123,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
what if you think curry is a delicious smell, or its a normal everyday smell?
[Coming from SF a lot of the old apartments have a greasy smell, from years of cooking... its just a given ...

I have relatives that would throw up at the smell of a strong cheese, its smells disgusting to them (Im talking swiss cheese, not limburger)....

Per the bolded --- In the past, I've lived in old pre-war apartment buildings in Boston. They tended to have a smell that I just assumed had to do with them being old. Then, later on I learned this: (See #3 in the link below):

5 Sure Signs of a Cockroach Infestation - Pests Off

It could well have been what you were smelling

Old 10-28-2016, 02:02 PM

7,240 posts, read 9,335,689 times
Cooking with spices whatever your culture is a reasonable use of an apt. If I can't cook with curry then there's no point in my renting your apt. That sounds to me like sleazy mgt. I don't think they can win a case in court.

To me that's not the problem. The problem is they will mess with your credit rating. I don't have a good answer for that. The last apt I lived in charged me a bogus cleaning fee around $40. The place was cleaner when I left than when I moved in. Way cleaner. I refused to pay and it went on my credit rating.

Over the years I've lived in 6 different apartments. I've been happy with 3 of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area