Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:45 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,728,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
I just test drove a car that reeked of cigarette smoke. Less than 1 week later, the smell is entirely gone, carpets and upholstery intact.

All they did is air it out, no heavy perfumes at all.

Sure, ripping out replacing is quick and billable and keeps the economy flowing, so they are doing a good thing, right?
um, no, they didn't "just air it out" - at the least, they used an ozone generator to kill the stench.

But you can't fill an apartment with ozone without endangering the safety of the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 05:53 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,799,152 times
I don't get this. Cooking odors are normal wear and tear on apartments and carpet and paint is usually replaced anyways between tenants. I could see them keeping your cleaning deposit, but anything beyond that seems like they are being opportunistic.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:23 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,235,704 times
This link https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...moval&start=70 is from the 8th google page. As you, this isn't a unique situation.

That said, maybe the smell was mild and they decided to stick it to them.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:00 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,264,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I don't get this. Cooking odors are normal wear and tear on apartments and carpet and paint is usually replaced anyways between tenants. I could see them keeping your cleaning deposit, but anything beyond that seems like they are being opportunistic.
Odors are damage and carpets and paint aren't replaced between every tenant. If you cook stinky food open a window and air it out once I'm a while. If anything requires extensive cleaning or replacement to bring it back to the way it was before the tenant took possession minus normal, funky odors isn't normal, wear and tear the tenant will be charged for it.

Same goes for body odor, dog or cat stink, baby vomit, regular vomit, or any other nasty odor a tenant leaves behind. Clean up or get charged.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:15 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,605,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Leaving any kind of stink behind when you move out is NOT normal wear and tear on apartments!

Old 11-03-2016, 07:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,332,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
My own 2 cents: I had a home where part of it was rented out as an apartment. My tenant, a vegetarian, used curry occasionally. This home had central AC, one zone, retrofitted, installed while I owned the house. The return was in my section. On the occasions that she did use curry, the stench was so bad, it made me sick. My eyes teared up, I had headaches, it was absolutely horrible. I sealed off her apartment as best as I could, to no benefit. I loved her as a person, she was a delightful person, so I felt very badly when I had to ask her to use it only rarely, because I still didn't think it was fair to demand that she stop using it completely. She felt bad, and stopped using it. Then, she used another spice that wasn't anywhere near as bad, but still had a strange stench. I had to ask her to slow that down, too. She eventually moved. There was no lingering odor in the home, Thank God.

No one complains about Italian tenants and the odors of oregano or garlic.

No one complains about the odors of fried plaintains from Spanish people
No one complains about the odor of beer and potatoes from an irish tenant

I would complain about a garlic smell. I HATE garlic and think it is one of the worst cooking smells there is, almost as bad as the smell of bacon (gag). My point here is, what "stinks" is subjective.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:12 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,235,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I would complain about a garlic smell. I HATE garlic and think it is one of the worst cooking smells there is, almost as bad as the smell of bacon (gag). My point here is, what "stinks" is subjective.
Agreed. It's subjective. I hate the smell of parsley! Worse yet, it the smell of sugar. Don't get me started on the smell of salt!

But I do love the smell of Big Daddy's Garlic Bacon .

In all seriousness, Curry has some serious "hang time".

Old 11-03-2016, 08:15 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,332,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Agreed. It's subjective. I hate the smell of parsley! Worse yet, it the smell of sugar. Don't get me started on the smell of salt!

But I do love the smell of Big Daddy's Garlic Bacon .
The day my mom made fudge around the holidays when I was growing up was always the day I made sure to have plans out of the house. That smell really churns my stomach. I stay out of candy stores!

I love curry (had some amazing yellow curry yesterday for lunch!). Love the smell. Would I want to live in an apartment that smelled like it? No.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:55 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,143,553 times
No it is not legal since you cook with it, and that is just general wear and tear on the apartment. In other words, it would be no different than any odors left behind from a pet.

I am a professional restorer. Curry outright STINKS! And more invasive and difficult to remove than cat urine odor.

If you are Indian then they are also discriminating against you since curry is essential to your cuisine which is from your heritage.

Waaa Waaa Waaa

As for removing odors, curry will go away quickly with windows open and carpets cleaned, and repainting.

Actually the necessary procedure is yes, clean carpets. Then, ozone treat the unit overnight. Repainting should not be required. May have to replace draperies though.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:01 PM

177 posts, read 553,796 times
I'm not sure what your lease states. A log time ago I moved into an apartment and on move in day I walked into the apartment and about passed it and vomited from the curry smell. I told the leasing consultants that the smell was really strong and they said they would come and spray something but it didn't help of course so they gave me another unit. You could smell it from outside the apartment and my clothes and the few boxes that were in the apartment smelled like curry. I only brought two boxes in and stopped the move in prices because of the smell. It was horrible. It's like smoke. It's next to impossible to get that smell out. I can understand them charging you because they won't be able to rent that unit out if it has a pungent smell. I'm so sorry this is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area