Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:43 PM

445 posts, read 400,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct987 View Post
East Mesa is pretty safe and similar to Chandler. I've had friends live out there and I always thought it was similar to Chandler. Idk about prices of rentals or locations in Mesa, sorry.
Thank you. I have never been to East Mesa. I'll have to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The rent prices are what they are.

I'm not being a wiseguy by saying this but I think the simple reality is if you can't find a place to afford to live that you like/want, you either need to increase your savings/get a better job or move on to another area of the country to live. Rent prices are what they are. Start going below a certain rent point from the nicer rent areas to a cheap/easily affordable area are probably areas you don't want to live in on many levels.
I understand. That is the reality. I work two jobs. I have a college degree in of all things, political science. I am trying my best to stay afloat like many others.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
The reason that rents are going up so quickly here is that the multinational property managers have resorted to Computer Programs to maximize rents. This occurs in all 50 states, rent gauging is under investigation in Congress, see more here,

https://www.city-data.com/forum/45962989-post31.html
I read the article. Quite interesting. It doesn't matter where you live, you will have to pay a pretty penny.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My replies in red, obviously.
Thanks for your honesty. I will do some more research. I don't want a roommate. I will keep looking. Hopefully I will find something reasonable soon. I rent in Central Phoenix and I'm not comfortable here. I really want to move out further where everything is not crunched together.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The cheapest rents that I've seen in Phoenix metro other than renting someone's spare bedroom is renting one unit in a 4-plex or 8-plex etc. these units are typically older and in high crime areas. I've looked at many of these as possible investments and the renter's are always home during the workweek (this is where people live when they are in public assistance and are borderline homeless). these are the places where sub-$700/mo can be found, they are bare bones and many of your neighbors may be undesirable such as those straight out of prison with nowhere else to turn. I would much rather spend the extra $200/mo and live in a better place.
You make a good point. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
If your paying 400 dollars a month for a room in a house in Chandler then that is perfect. Will they allow you to add internet and cable. That is a bargain! Will they let you stay, that is a bargain for Chandler which is one of the nicest suburbs.

As far as apartment quality and decent neighborhood you will get the most of the dollar in Gilbert, Chandler and near Superstition Mall in Mesa.

I have had several sets of roommates where me and a group of other guys have split a house and it typically cost us about 500-600 dollars each.

I made some calls to random run-down apartments 1960s apartments in Mesa and the worst parts of Tempe and it was 800 dollars a month plus sewer, water and trash plus electric which typically is about 200 dollars during the summer according to co-workers.

It seems like for an older apartment during the summer with an internet, cable and phone combo it is over 1000/mo.

The only thing I can recommend is maybe renting from a owner who only owns a few apartment buildings as sometimes they can be priced a little lower then a large rental management company. There are also older homes here in the Phoenix that have a small studio style house in the backyard that typically have lower rent.

Most apartments in Metro Phoenix are investor owned or managed by huge companies. There has also been many, many apartment buildings sold to investors and they put in some new cabinets and carpets and raise the rent a couple hundred dollars a month.

I also am seeing far more out of state license plates that are not snowbirds then I did in 2014 and 2015 part of me thinks it's the California rents pushing people to other more affordable western cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix.
Thanks. My current place is in Central Phoenix. My desire is to be in Chandler. I have seen soooo many California plates all over Phoenix and I mean lots of them!!!

Old 10-31-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Perhaps you should look further out. Far east Mesa, far northwest Valley (Surprise/Peoria), Goodyear, etc. They're way out there so rents are cheaper and there will still be some nice places. No point paying the Chandler premium if you just want a safe clean place...those can be found all over the Valley.

Rents are market rates. If you want rent control, move to a blue state and wait your turn and never, ever move and after a number of years you'll be that person paying far less than a unit is worth. Here in Arizona, you'll generally have to pay what the unit is worth.

Lovecrowds is correct that sometimes small owner-operator types offer much better deals than large corporations who indeed tend to know exactly what their units are worth at any time. There were very cheap rents for years and years at the large complexes due to the economic downturn; now the tide has turned and it's painful for a lot of tenants who got used to getting more for their money over the previous years.

Ahh. That makes sense. I really need to check out East Mesa. I work every day so my time is very limited. I will check out East Mesa after work tomorrow. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
look on craigslist daily and jump on any new apt condo or townhome ads ads they go fast
I have been. I will keep checking it daily. All I need is one rental. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
My replies in bold.
Thanks for all the blunt answers. So it really comes down to biting the bullet and LIVING WITHIN MY MEANS, which means finding a compatible roommate with similar values and having at least a BIG CLOSET and a DRESSER. This way I can LIVE and ENJOY Phoenix or pay dearly by making poor choices.

As for rents skyrocketing, this is going on EVERYWHERE across the country. The rents are rising and the wages are not keeping pace with the increase. People are complaining that there are too many low wage jobs in DALLAS so DALLAS has problems too. And FLORIDA has the lowest wages in the US in all their major cities; Tampa, Miami and Orlando.

People are leaving Connecticut because they can NO LONGER AFFORD THAT STATE too!! It's bad in a lot of places unfortunately! I don't think Hilary or Trump will necessarily make things better either.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
You're not looking hard enough or smart enough. (there are plenty of those).

Where are you looking?

Sounds like you need to go talk to an apt locator service. I used one once; it cost me $10 (for a general criminal & credit check, that's it). They get paid when you put there name on the referral when you sign your lease. I saw it on Clist and called in the morning, then went in at noon. I told him what I wanted (no carpets, first floor, washer/dryer in unit), what I could spend, where I wanted to be (near a place to run, and the general area in town), then he called me that afternoon with a list of what met my needs. If it wasn't for waiting on my old place I could have moved in that day. Find one near where you want to go, and let them do all the work. I had been; driving around, checking ads and websites for months taking tours and then finding a reason why it wouldn't have worked; looking back, WHAT A HASSLE. I probably spent $50 or more just in gas not to mention the time and the aggravation of calling, scheduling then doing tours.. NEVER AGAIN.

The one I used was off 35th ave near Northern, and if that's anywhere near where you are going DM me and Ill send you his info. I am not affiliated just used once and very happy with the process and results.
Fantastic! Please send me the person's name. I will try calling them during lunch tomorrow! It can't hurt to see what they can offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area