Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 PM

371 posts, read 1,005,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
I dont think it looks sad, it looks pretty nice actually. And I agree with joninaz, some of us like the heat. I prefer it over freezing cold winters any day.
Sad because so much is being made of a glorified ditch in the middle of barren desert that is only kept alive in wasteful fashion by water from elsewhere.

As I have stated you have the right to say you like the heat...and I have the right to say it is miserable for the vast majority of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
I dont think it looks sad, it looks pretty nice actually. And I agree with joninaz, some of us like the heat. I prefer it over freezing cold winters any day.
PS, my wife is from Miami and it is a good place to visit for maybe a week at a time...at least it rains there but it is Groundhog day there for most of the year...warm/hot and humid.

You guys like one type of weather and I like variety...plus we aren't 90 years old like a lot of people on this board...and we actually like colder weather.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,056,533 times
Well I'm not 90 years old either, I'm 24.

And I didnt say your opinion was wrong, I simply stated my own.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
PS, my wife is from Miami and it is a good place to visit for maybe a week at a time...at least it rains there but it is Groundhog day there for most of the year...warm/hot and humid.

You guys like one type of weather and I like variety...plus we aren't 90 years old like a lot of people on this board...and we actually like colder weather.
Easy there:

I am a Wash DC native and left that place 30 years ago courtesy of its cold winters------I was age 20 then.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 PM

937 posts, read 2,825,935 times
Leaving Michigan winters for Scottsdale Summers and I'm 21.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Easy there:

I am a Wash DC native and left that place 30 years ago courtesy of its cold winters------I was age 20 then.
LOL

50 is when fraility sets in, no?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Leaving Michigan winters for Scottsdale Summers and I'm 21.
OK...gray hairs love warm states because their old bones creak in the cold...and if you are just leaving Michigan for AZ summers you have NO idea what you are getting yourself into...as I have stated before the first few years are OK because it is a novelty...well that wears off and most start dreading the coming of the 8 month summer...AZ is one of the most transient states in the US for good reasons...the hell like heat and the service industry dominated economy.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:38 PM

919 posts, read 3,383,808 times
Quote:
Yeah, but it is not even close to the ambience and seamless integration of River Walk.

It'll look nice though...until the water runs out...
Well you live here... so aren't you part of the water use debate? And you claim to head somewhere else when the weather changes, so aren't you part of the transient crowd? You also diss Miami, claiming it's only worthwhile for a week each year. And you diss on older folks. And the weather. And swimming pool temps. Thus it's worthwhile to ask... is your opinion on this project based on reasoned debate and involvement with the issues or is it armchair emotion from afar?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Well you live here... so aren't you part of the water use debate? And you claim to head somewhere else when the weather changes, so aren't you part of the transient crowd? You also diss Miami, claiming it's only worthwhile for a week each year. And you diss on older folks. And the weather. And swimming pool temps. Thus it's worthwhile to ask... is your opinion on this project based on reasoned debate and involvement with the issues or is it armchair emotion from afar?
Not dissing...just expressing my viewpoints...again, for the slow...the project is fine...I just find it lame so much is made of a spruced up ditch.

Lastly, we ditched our Scottsdale home for a N. AZ home...where water is truly cherished and respected.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 AM

919 posts, read 3,383,808 times
Quote:
Not dissing...just expressing my viewpoints...again, for the slow...the project is fine...I just find it lame so much is made of a spruced up ditch.

Lastly, we ditched our Scottsdale home for a N. AZ home...where water is truly cherished and respected.
Ditched your home? There's a pattern here.

What Mr. Unger did in Scottsdale was take a boring, 100 year old canal and re-tooled it. He built a retail center with the idea that no shops can be chains. No restaurants are chains. A $400 Million toss of the dice. The adjacent developers are investing another $1.5 Billion. The canal, really, is pretty insignificant in the larger scheme of things. But some, like the reporter, choose to focus on the sideshow and miss the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area