U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:32 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,045,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I like the nice looking people! Where are they at?!? Just Scottsdale city limits?
Check "Trophy Wife Trail" that winds around Pinnacle Peak.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:44 PM

740 posts, read 1,604,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I like the nice looking people! Where are they at?!? Just Scottsdale city limits?
You are a quick learner. In Scottsdale, we send all the ugly people to Apache Junction.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 PM

1,791 posts, read 165,280 times
If you want to avoid materialism, etc. don’t go to scottsdale. Go to tempe (college town-ish) and close to Sky Harbor. Wickenburg is awesome if you want to get rural, eclectic and quiet. There is an ice cream store. Doesn’t compare to Starr in Rhinebeck, but, gentrification has yet to spoil everything here.

Phoenix is an odd bird. You can find so much here. I wouldn’t call it a cultural draw, but it’s really lovely. You have to dig for treasures here - they aren’t apparent.

Having grown up in rural NY, going to college in manhattan (PSD, NYU, NSSR) living here has been a culture shock, but there is a huge art force everywhere here if you look. No, it isn’t all kitschy SW landscapes.

Beyond what Phoenix has, a few hour drive in nearly any direction will bring you to lovely places. If I had a car I could be more specific.

No one cares about weather here.

You would likely want to avoid Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. I lived in NY for 40 years, moved here by accident, hated it at first and I fell in love. Phx has a fair highway infrastructure so it isn’t hard to get to things if you’re smart.

It’s hard to get used to the monotony of the architecture if you’re used to quaint towns of the northeast. Don’t come here for aethetic homes. You won’t find that here. Visit first if you can. It’s not for everyone.

If you can find a place to live here, everything else seems pretty inexpensive. Real estate is a bear. Best Goodwills in the nation. Come visit. Having been here for over a decade I can say its not the Yosemite Sam dull place people think it is. It’s hard to find an enemy here. Just avoid the silly malls. If you can’t, people are nice there too. Don’t move here without visiting first.

Last edited by paperwing; 03-14-2019 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 PM

8,383 posts, read 14,401,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
If you want to avoid materialism, etc. don’t go to scottsdale. Go to tempe (college town-ish) and close to Sky Harbor. Wickenburg is awesome if you want to get rural, eclectic and quiet. There is an ice cream store. Doesn’t compare to Starr in Rhinebeck, but, gentrification has yet to spoil everything here.

Phoenix is an odd bird. You can find so much here. I wouldn’t call it a cultural draw, but it’s really lovely. You have to dig for treasures here - they aren’t apparent.

Having grown up in rural NY, going to college in manhattan (PSD, NYU, NSSR) living here has been a culture shock, but there is a huge art force everywhere here if you look. No, it isn’t all kitschy SW landscapes.

Beyond what Phoenix has, a few hour drive in nearly any direction will bring you to lovely places. If I had a car I could be more specific.

No one cares about weather here.

You would likely want to avoid Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. I lived in NY for 40 years, moved here by accident, hated it at first and I fell in love. Phx has a fair highway infrastructure so it isn’t hard to get to things if you’re smart.

It’s hard to get used to the monotony of the architecture if you’re used to quaint towns of the northeast. Don’t come here for aethetic homes. You won’t find that here. Visit first if you can. It’s not for everyone.
There’s a lot to unpack here, but I’ll address the last paragraph. I think you mean aesthetic. I don’t find a total lack of aesthetics in regards to our housing stock to be true at all. There are quaint historic neighborhoods with brick bungalows, craftsmans, Spanish territorials, etc., loads of custom mansions, mountainside moderns, pockets all over the valley with mid century moderns and more.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 PM

389 posts, read 144,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Well...this thread won't go off the rails soon.
it seems alright.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM

12,628 posts, read 8,531,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888metro View Post
Most people in AZ are either native to AZ or from back east. Yeah, I'd agree w/ you that maybe 9% of AZ population is from the west coast. Not that much. My point is that in CA, our rich areas don't flaunt their wealth, like the Midwesterners do in Scottsdale, and parts of Phoenix. Places like Westlake and Thousand Oaks, Calabasas, people are rich but don't flaunt their wealth.
Complete and utter bull.

There are FAR far more high-end luxury vehicles on the streets of Silicon Valley than I see here in Scottsdale. I see Teslas here, but about every seventh car in SV is a Tesla now (most on lease) so I don't consider it a luxury vehicle. SV is the place where you see his-and-hers Ferraris. BMW i8s are common, as are Bentleys.

(Yes, I realize this post is a couple years old and the author has long since been unceremoniously removed.)

Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM

12,628 posts, read 8,531,393 times
Quote:
If you want to avoid materialism, etc. don’t go to scottsdale.
LOL.

My neighbors on one side are a two-earner family. He drives a newish Camaro.

On the other side are a retired couple who dote on their five adult children and grandchildren. Not even the least bit materialistic. By rights they should have money -- he was a partner at a Big 4 accounting firm -- but you can't tell because they don't spend it on stuff.

Across the street is a young family. He's the head of an industrial lighting company. Drives a Jeep.

And then there's us. DH works in Silicon Valley. I drive a 2015 Roadtrek van, which is a Sprinter conversion. He drives a 19 year old VW Jetta TDI.

Do these sound like materialistic people to you?

Don't malign people you don't know.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There’s a lot to unpack here, but I’ll address the last paragraph. I think you mean aesthetic. I don’t find a total lack of aesthetics in regards to our housing stock to be true at all. There are quaint historic neighborhoods with brick bungalows, craftsmans, Spanish territorials, etc., loads of custom mansions, mountainside moderns, pockets all over the valley with mid century moderns and more.
Yes - and I edited for spelling! Thank you for fixing that for me.

Not really a great number of homes in the styles you listed - in the valley proper - I was speaking specifically about Phoenix/the valley from a layman’s perspective. Other than historic homes/buildings or the few in downtown/Old town that are primarily galleries now.

There are exceptions everywhere. Wright provided a pretty singular jewel. But that’s an exception and in its one category as well, which doesn’t reflect what most will see in Phoenix.

Mountainside moderns are for the very few with very many dollars. Very few homes are old. It IS a cookie cutter monotony for almost everyone - when I first moved here I got lost just trying to find the house I lived in. I was used to each house having a personality.

Of course I can only speak anecdotally. But, I’ll tell ya, even the pharmacies and grocery stores are dumbed down to the specific style. The upside: most things are new.

Do I wish I could have bought a lovely arts and carts bungalow? Hell yeah. That’s not a thing here unless you’re in a customized exclusive situation.

Again, thanks for the correction.

Last edited by paperwing; 03-15-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM

8,383 posts, read 14,401,635 times
Quote:
Yes - and I edited for spelling! Thank you for fixing that for me.

Not a total lack of... pretty much, though. Maybe I’m biased. The home styles you describe are lovely and not easily found in the valley proper - I was speaking specifically about Phoenix/the valley from a layman’s perspective.

There are exceptions everywhere. Wright is a pretty singular jewel. But that doesn’t either.

Mountainside moderns are for the very few with very many dollars. Very few homes are old. It IS a cookie cutter monotony for almost everyone - when I first moved here I got lost just trying to find the house I lived in. I was used to each house having a personality.

Beyond the Valley - i can only speak anecdotally.

Do I wish I could have bought a lovely arts and carts bungalow? Hell yeah. That’s not a thing here unless you’re in a customized exclusive situation.

Again, thanks for the correction.
When you mention "the valley from a layman’s perspective", are you referring to the suburbs? If so, that's where you'll find awfully boring carbon copy tract homes all over, which is no different than many modern cities. Phoenix-proper has a pretty nice variety of housing. Starting north you get large ranches on big irrigated lots with palm-lined streets, as you go south you'll get into some older brick houses and the various "Haverhoods" wth MCMs, custom estates near the Biltmore, Arcadia ranches, a wide variety of home styles on and near Camelback Mountain, and then down into the many historic neighborhoods with a variety of housing styles from the 1930s+.

I wonder where you were looking to have missed all of this. You could have had your pick of many "lovely bungalows" as they are most certainly "a thing here".

Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Complete and utter bull.

There are FAR far more high-end luxury vehicles on the streets of Silicon Valley than I see here in Scottsdale. I see Teslas here, but about every seventh car in SV is a Tesla now (most on lease) so I don't consider it a luxury vehicle. SV is the place where you see his-and-hers Ferraris. BMW i8s are common, as are Bentleys.

(Yes, I realize this post is a couple years old and the author has long since been unceremoniously removed.)

Yeah, the thread is old, but I thought I’d pitch in having lived here for the last 10+ years and having done a long, recent search for a home here.

I’m skeptical of all the frou-frou showy nonsense in some pockets - my guess is many here are not necessarily wealthy... there is a lot of debt here and/or foreign investor properties. It’s sort of pathetic.

Hence my repeated caution to visit first - finding an affordable home is a big hurdle. Beyond that, it’s a dream in my view.

I miss snow. I miss water and swimming. I miss antiques and people liking antiques. I miss grass, lilacs, songbirds. I don’t miss NY summers (one or two amazing days, lots of overcast humid unbearable nonsense. My mom remarked that she was sick of living in a terrarium. I recall running the vacuum in our old house and when I hit the baseboards, the just mooshed! They were soft. So gross. Beautiful old farmhouse, intolerable weather - after finding the southwest.

I love it here. It’s perfect. My kids love it here. Spending every summer here with me growing up, one bought a large home. The other wants to settle here. There’s something magical about this place... and this state. Flagstaff is so different - so lovely. Sedona is maybe worth a day trip, if that. It’s expensive and kitschy unless you have connections. I don’t.

Whatever, one person’s view on what it’s like here. : )

Last edited by paperwing; 03-15-2019 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Editing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area