Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:10 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Is there room for that, though? Maybe you can map it out for me, because I am not seeing where there's land available to do anything like that because of the riverbed.

It looks like WB 202 you're stuck exiting south at Dobson to get to Rio Salado, or going past the stadium to Scottsdale Road and coming back.
Worst case you get off the 202 at Scottsdale Rd or 101 at Rio Salado. Alternate exits are McClintock for those coming from the West or Dobson. It's not that hard for me to get from Chandler to Tempe Marketplace (20 minutes) and this is in the same area. People coming from Scottsdale or Mesa to Tempe Marketplace can just exit on the 101/Rio Salado IMO. Easy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Its about dang time! Ive only been to two Yotes games, and its mainly because I cannot stand the drive to Glendale.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,728,960 times
Quote:
Solves the problem of ASU wanting a hockey arena, as well.

I think it's a good location for the team, still pretty central in location and near the light rail.

I wonder where on earth they're going to find room for all of this and parking garages, but I guess time will tell.

They may need to upgrade the nearby infrastructure as well...there is no westbound 202 exit to McClintock, for one thing, so many people will need to get off at Scottsdale Road (WB 202) or at Rio Salado (SB 101) or at University (NB 101). Only EB 202 will be able to exit on the actual street the arena will be on.

The question I have is, what can they really do about this? This is so close to an interchange and you can't just start splicing in more exits right in the middle of an interchange with flyover ramps and everything else.

Pink, what do you think they could do, if anything, in that regard?
I don't think it's that big of a deal, right now people manage to get to sun devil stadium in a lot larger numbers than this will require and they use Rio Salado off of the 101, Scottsdale off the 202 and McClintock off the 202 to make all this work.

I'm not expecting that ASU will be using much, if any, of this valuable land for parking structures. The intent for this area of Tempe is to be very urban and with so much parking about 1 mile away around SDS, I bet they'll figure out a way to utilize that.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Not really official until the funding is found. Exciting but the end is not there yet.
Exactly, this is great news but it means nothing yet.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
yay, which usually means piles of more public tax payer dollars used to fund private business stadiums, yay.
There are a lot of stupid things my tax payer dollars go toward. I don't mind them going to the Coyotes and something I actually enjoy.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:57 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There are a lot of stupid things my tax payer dollars go toward. I don't mind them going to the Coyotes and something I actually enjoy.
I certainly agree on the stupid spending of taxpayers dollars on many other things, no doubt. And if the taxpayers could get a big chunk of team profits if they pony up taxpayer dollars in building stadiums for private business, and the taxpayer gets a good ROI, I'd be with you 100% in saying it's a good thing too. But I don't think just "enjoying" something cuts it, spending such a huge sum of money if taxpayers are on the hook for it. This is just more corporate welfare and the non-partisan brookings institute shows how bad the deal/ROI is for taxpayers:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/s...orth-the-cost/

"Sports, Jobs, & Taxes: Are New Stadiums Worth the Cost?"

Quote:
"In our forthcoming Brookings book, Sports, Jobs, and Taxes, we and 15 collaborators examine the local economic development argument from all angles: case studies of the effect of specific facilities, as well as comparisons among cities and even neighborhoods that have and have not sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into sports development. In every case, the conclusions are the same. A new sports facility has an extremely small (perhaps even negative) effect on overall economic activity and employment. No recent facility appears to have earned anything approaching a reasonable return on investment. No recent facility has been self-financing in terms of its impact on net tax revenues. Regardless of whether the unit of analysis is a local neighborhood, a city, or an entire metropolitan area, the economic benefits of sports facilities are de minimus."
It's a waste of taxpayer money, plain and simple. And I'd guess those who think our public education system is so bad because we don't spend enough money on it, I'd think those who believe in that direction would agree that's far more important to spend tax payer dollars on and that should be by far our first priority with tax payer funds, not on building stadiums for private business, ie corporate welfare.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:28 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
This could be a tough sell to voters in Tempe if they come looking for public funds. It's too early to celebrate when the funds aren't secured.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
This could be a tough sell to voters in Tempe if they come looking for public funds. It's too early to celebrate when the funds aren't secured.
This deal costs $400 million of which the Coyotes will cover half that cost. Tax payers are expected to cover the remaining cost. Not one ASU official or lawmaker attended the announcement and the governor declined to comment on it. This is a Republican controlled state legislatures. I don't see it happening.

Here is the other real problem, the Coyotes are a really bad team. They don't have rich owners. They are not going to invest in players and make the team a contender. By the time, lawmaker vote on this, their record is going to be even worse. So you are asking tax payers to fund a losing team that won't spend money. Good luck getting lawmakers to fund that. They have learned from Glendale's mistake. The ony way that team takes off is if the team invests money in them to make them a winner. The Valley is hungry for a winner. But like all Arizona teams, they want to the fans to fund their pipe dream rather than offer a quality product to earn and sell out those stadiums.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Solves the problem of ASU wanting a hockey arena, as well.

I think it's a good location for the team, still pretty central in location and near the light rail.

I wonder where on earth they're going to find room for all of this and parking garages, but I guess time will tell.

They may need to upgrade the nearby infrastructure as well...there is no westbound 202 exit to McClintock, for one thing, so many people will need to get off at Scottsdale Road (WB 202) or at Rio Salado (SB 101) or at University (NB 101). Only EB 202 will be able to exit on the actual street the arena will be on.

The question I have is, what can they really do about this? This is so close to an interchange and you can't just start splicing in more exits right in the middle of an interchange with flyover ramps and everything else.

Pink, what do you think they could do, if anything, in that regard?
Well, they did just that on Loop 101 for UOP stadium and the super bowl so it's not impossible...

Old 11-15-2016, 06:18 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
On the flip side of this, this will be a major hit to westgate, and eventually Glendale overall. I can't say they didn't bring it upon themselves, but currently living in Glendale, I'm against it. If I was anywhere else in the valley, I'd be all for it. (Have never, and probably will never go to a game, or seen the inside of gila river arena).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area