Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,365,996 times

Advertisements

Thanks Phoenix Mike. I guess they're just throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing if anything, ever, will stick.

Good point made in the article that zero elected officials or other government people were at the announcement. This is just their attempt to gauge the public reaction and/or build some momentum.

I guess they can do whatever they like but I surely hope no Arizonan ever has to spend another tax dollar on corporate subsidies for sports teams who just insist on moving as soon they can anyway. The arena in Glendale is a nice facility but that didn't seem to matter to anyone in this morass, because the city's losing so much money on the hockey team and the hockey team is happy to take more handouts if they can get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I guess they're just throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing if anything, ever, will stick.
Like I mentioned in a previous post, this is obviously their preferred plan/location, getting it funded is a whole other story. I feel if this falls through, which has a high probability of happening, they will go to Plan B and beg the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community to build them a new arena either on the old Scottsdale Six Drive-In movie theater site or near the Talking Stick Resort/Spring Training Facility/Shopping Pavillions.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
On the flip side of this, this will be a major hit to westgate, and eventually Glendale overall. I can't say they didn't bring it upon themselves, but currently living in Glendale, I'm against it. If I was anywhere else in the valley, I'd be all for it. (Have never, and probably will never go to a game, or seen the inside of gila river arena).
This response makes little to any sense and that is putting it kindly. You blame Glendale for bringing the Coyotes there. Then you say you've never gone to a game and don't plan to yet you would "be all for it" if it was in any other part of the Valley.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Again, these teams need to learn that they have to put a quality product to draw fans. Phoenix area teams are stingy and they want the fans to pony up money first. That's not how it works. Fans understand the team doesn't have a lot of money but they can get a coach with a more offensive minded approach. They can draft faster skaters and tank seasons to get the 1st overall pick so they can draft a bonafide star. Our best player is a defensive player Oliver Ekman Larrson. This arguably been the most boring team to watch in terms of offensive output.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM

233 posts, read 257,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The Coyotes need to understand their brand of hockey is boring to watch. Even if they move to the East Valley, people are not going to show up with no offensive stars on the team. They need to fire the head coach and bring in someone with a more offensive approach. We have a lot of slow skaters and old defensive guys. They should have tanked last season and drafted Austin Matthews and allowed Shane Doan to go to a contender and win a cup. But this slow old man defensive approach to hockey is just boring as heII to watch.
I think Tippett plays that was because he has to with the talent given him. There is more firepower in the minors that we should see in the next couple of years. At the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing a change at coach because I think things have gotten stale with him.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAZ View Post
I think Tippett plays that was because he has to with the talent given him. There is more firepower in the minors that we should see in the next couple of years. At the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing a change at coach because I think things have gotten stale with him.
The problem is they don't want to sacrifice. They are better off dealing away assets and tanking during the right season and acquiring a bonafide star with a 1st or 2nd overall pick. Instead they remain mediocre but not bad enough to acquire real talent. Until they get some star players who can draw attention, no one is going to show up to their games. It doesn't matter where they are located. While they are in the West Valley for the next 3 years, they might as well tank and acquire some recognizable star players in the draft. No one is going to Glendale for the next 3 years. That much is certain.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
On the flip side of this, this will be a major hit to westgate, and eventually Glendale overall. I can't say they didn't bring it upon themselves, but currently living in Glendale, I'm against it. If I was anywhere else in the valley, I'd be all for it. (Have never, and probably will never go to a game, or seen the inside of gila river arena).
Quote:
This response makes little to any sense and that is putting it kindly. You blame Glendale for bringing the Coyotes there. Then you say you've never gone to a game and don't plan to yet you would "be all for it" if it was in any other part of the Valley.
No, try reading it again. Just to spell it out for you, I blame the Glendale city council for screwing up the deal by trying to act as if they held all the cards.. As for the rest, even though I won't go to a game, doesn't mean I can't see the economic impact.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:49 AM

586 posts, read 540,858 times
You mean just like they did 2 years ago and then lost the lottery and ended up with 3rd pick who was just sent back to Jr while 1st and 2nd pick are leading their NHL teams??? There is no guarantee now that picks are made by a lottery draw.
Quote:
The problem is they don't want to sacrifice. They are better off dealing away assets and tanking during the right season and acquiring a bonafide star with a 1st or 2nd overall pick. Instead they remain mediocre but not bad enough to acquire real talent. Until they get some star players who can draw attention, no one is going to show up to their games. It doesn't matter where they are located. While they are in the West Valley for the next 3 years, they might as well tank and acquire some recognizable star players in the draft. No one is going to Glendale for the next 3 years. That much is certain.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:47 PM

Well that didn't take long did it. Never thought the ASU plan had any credibility and I was proven right.

"A plan to build a new home for the Arizona Coyotes in Tempe is dead. Arizona State University said in an email Friday evening that the university "has no intention of proceeding to sign a development agreement or an option to lease or any other agreement with the Coyotes."

ASU out of plan to bring Coyotes to Tempe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area