Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:00 AM

7,258 posts, read 9,353,167 times

Advertisements

On a bike

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1due/albums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 06:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,377,229 times
There are haters everywhere you go. Every city in America. Every city forum on City-Data, too, I have to imagine.

Some like it here, some hate it here, but a lot of people must think pretty highly about it since four million people live here and the population continues to grow as people go through the trouble of moving to come share this lovely Valley with us. Personally, I'd never want to live in the New York City metro area, but 17 million people disagree with me and that's cool. They have things we don't have, that's for sure, but we also have things they don't have. That's life -- find what works for you.

There is good and bad, beauty and ugliness, in every city in America, and I don't personally think that putting a place down raises a person up. Now, show me a person who finds beauty in every place they go, whether they are in some well-regarded city, or in one of those places that always gets maligned, and I will show you someone with a wonderful attitude who makes the most of life.

I will say that yesterday was a particularly incredible, gorgeous, pleasant day. It's about as perfect a late fall/winter day as I could ever hope to experience in the Phoenix metro area. Not cold, not hot, light overcast skies, some unobtrusive sprinkles or light rain, and gorgeous moist air to refresh the body and mind. I know I felt very thankful to enjoy such a pristine, idyllic Sunday with my family.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 AM

2,300 posts, read 3,117,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
There are haters everywhere you go. Every city in America. Every city forum on City-Data, too, I have to imagine.

Some like it here, some hate it here, but a lot of people must think pretty highly about it since four million people live here and the population continues to grow as people go through the trouble of moving to come share this lovely Valley with us. Personally, I'd never want to live in the New York City metro area, but 17 million people disagree with me and that's cool. They have things we don't have, that's for sure, but we also have things they don't have. That's life -- find what works for you.

There is good and bad, beauty and ugliness, in every city in America, and I don't personally think that putting a place down raises a person up. Now, show me a person who finds beauty in every place they go, whether they are in some well-regarded city, or in one of those places that always gets maligned, and I will show you someone with a wonderful attitude who makes the most of life.

I will say that yesterday was a particularly incredible, gorgeous, pleasant day. It's about as perfect a late fall/winter day as I could ever hope to experience in the Phoenix metro area. Not cold, not hot, light overcast skies, some unobtrusive sprinkles or light rain, and gorgeous moist air to refresh the body and mind. I know I felt very thankful to enjoy such a pristine, idyllic Sunday with my family.
I'd rep you for this but it won"t let me. Guess I've already agreed with you too much before!

Old 11-21-2016, 11:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,409,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post

How does the saying go, there's no such thing as a boring place, only a boring person and no matter where you go (live/travel) you still have to put up with yourself!

Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,288,141 times
Phoenix really is a your mileage may vary type of place.

I know people who come here and complain about how brown everything is and how spread out and repetitive the metro is. I know people who come here and rave about how clean the city is, how well landscaped the city is and how there are a lot of parks and space to get around.

Personally, I like it a lot more than I don't. I enjoy the little mountains - not only for the scenery but for the recreation they provide. I love watching the sun drop over the white tanks. I like driving over McDowell through the papagos. I like the different variety of plants with something seemingly blooming all year (although my allergies disagree with me on this point.......)

As for culture, I get how people scoff at this but I find it to be so far from the truth. The metro provides a ton for a city of it's size. No it's not concentrated, packaged into convenient districts or even all that well advertised - but there is a ton of stuff going on here if you care to find it.

I think part of the reason why it is so difficult to fully know what is going on is not only are things spread out, but there is simply so much that not all of it can be properly promoted. A couple weekends ago I took my kids to a fantastic veterans celebration put on by the city of El Mirage. They had skateboarding demonstrations/competitions, rides/bouncies, live music, balloon glow, face painting/balloon animals, arts & crafts stations/activities, a car show and the travelling Vietnam Memorial Wall. Everything was free except for the food & other vendors. I stumbled on it completely on accident. I never even knew the park where it was held existed - despite it being less than 10 minutes from my house.

The city isn't going to have everything in great scale - but it has a ton and definitely can meet the needs of the community.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:03 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,478,571 times
I really like the scenery in Phoenix.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:20 PM

277 posts, read 278,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
Ok I would like to hear some perspectives here on how everyone views the scenery & culture of Phoenix. I have been to Phoenix recently but I just want to here personal perspectives & thoughts.
Scenery is top notch,

Culture is still forming because Phoenix wasn't much more than a mass of populated cities and towns that grew together.

The urban fabric of the city really only began to stitch together within the last 10 years. You have a developing art culture in the city center, you have the Tempe area which is college and suddenly a business hub, Scottsdale/PV is where you find the high end restaurants and wealthy culture.

I would also say a fairly conservative Mormon/religious culture particularly out in Far East Gilbert and of course the more Yeehaw/country/NASCAR blue collar white folks in the west valley.

The city of Phoenix as a real cohesive city is still forming and thus, the culture is still forming with Elements of Wild West, Mexican, California and Midwestern influences mainly

Old 11-21-2016, 03:33 PM

44,718 posts, read 61,944,526 times
When I visited here in Phoenix in the mid 60's and saw this beautiful scenic area I immediately returned home to Los Angeles, gave notice, packed my bags and moved here. Never regretted it.
Though it's grown immensely since then it still remains as one of the most beautiful areas in the US.
As far as fenced in areas, the old saying goes, "good fences make for good neighbors."
Remember Phoenix Metro area is basically still a young growing area, so with that goes some growing pains.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,774,283 times
You want arts/culture/historic neighborhoods? Live in central Phoenix near Roosevelt Row.
You want a walkable area? live in old town Scottsdale or downtown Tempe or downtown Phoenix.
If you want to live in a cheap home in the suburbs, the options are limitless.

Phoenix seems to have something for everyone but the complaints of posters on here that chose to live in a blocked in community just to come back and complain about it baffles me. There's plenty of options that aren't like that but people choose to go to those areas and then complain...

As for me, I've found no shortage of arts/culture along with a mix of outdoors activities that I've had a hard time matching in any other major city. The relatively easy traffic means I get more time to spend enjoying what I want to do.

A few recommendations, since it seems that many people popped up with general complaints, but here's some of my favorite things to do.

- Live music in the city at either Valley Bar, Crescent Ballroom, or the Lost Leaf. They all have live bands almost every night.
- Stroll the arts district on Roosevelt Row, there are some amazing artists there and Grand Ave is currently exploding as well.
- Old Town Scottsdale also has a great art scene.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,748,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
Ok I would like to hear some perspectives here on how everyone views the scenery & culture of Phoenix. I have been to Phoenix recently but I just want to here personal perspectives & thoughts.
I like it well enough to stay here. It's the opposite of the East Coast. Make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area