Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 11:11 PM

239 posts, read 726,035 times

Advertisements

Ok I would like to hear some perspectives here on how everyone views the scenery & culture of Phoenix. I have been to Phoenix recently but I just want to here personal perspectives & thoughts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 12:28 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,197,261 times
If you stop and take a moment, the natural scenery is beautiful. The natural scenery and city combination, not so much, because as a city Phoenix is really ugly when compared to a place like San Francisco, which is beautiful as a city and in its natural setting. Just about every day I can plainly see several of the area's prominent mountains, but to be honest I barely notice them because I'm so used to seeing them they just blend into the background. Likewise, I think if I lived anywhere else, features noticeable to an outsider would just blend in for me in time, whether it's mountains, the ocean, monuments, the skyline, or whatever. Culturally, it's pretty bland and lackluster here. I mean this in the local culture, as Phoenix doesn't have a renowned culture the way many other US cities do, and in the arts, as the area is severely lacking in many forms of the arts, such as literature, music, visual, performances, etc.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:38 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,784,707 times
Scenery... Depends on where you are in the valley. Some places wild west-esque while others are more reminiscent of the midwest or California (i.e. Chandler). Culturally it's status-quo/comfortable/easy-living. It's cheap to live there (yes, even the nicest places compared to many major cities) so people love their stuff. A lot of materialism. Look at Seattle for instance, a lot of money but it's a cardinal sin to show off your wealth same with Minneapolis to a degree. On the same token you have the uber-conservatives who would rather have their jacked-up truck and rev up their engine and live out in the country.

Easy-living/Comfortable because traffic is not that bad. Housing is cheap. Groceries are cheap. Childcare is cheap. Restaurants are cheap. There is no inclement weather. There is not that rat-race type culture that success is life or death. Plus the weather, how the heck can you focus on academics and/or professional endeavors when it's ALWAYS nice out. Religion is not a prominent theme in most places and it's kind of just like do whatever you feel like.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:40 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,891,294 times
The scenery is very nice. Lusher then most western cities and I like the small mountains right in the metro area itself.

The culture is extremely introverted hence why there are huge walls all over the place. In general, Phoenix residents like to be left alone. They are rather polite though in general and the customer service in stores tends to be much better then other western cities.

People are extremely live and let live. They don't care about others and what they do as long as it doesn't impact them. There is very little sense of community but the good thing is few are trying to influence anyone else on politics or religion.

The typical metro Phoenix residents goes to work, goes to a store or two and goes home and stays at their house doing house-based activities.

I have never understood why people pay three times more per square to live in Scottsdale then San Tan Valley except for commute purposes it is all the same to me. The great thing about the Valley is in general it's the same stores, restaurants and retail repeated every couple of miles.

It is a very married metropolitan area. I am so glad to have roommates and nice co-workers because it is so married and family oriented all throughout the metropolitan area. There is a real stigma to being single in Phoenix that I have never seen before and I have lived in Utah County, Utah and never seen anything like this.

A vast majority of people moving to metro Phoenix are either married snowbirds or married families.

I had 20-something Phoenix roommates and 20-something Las Vegas roommates before and the ones in Phoenix just work and stay at home and play video games and watch sports. The roommates in Las Vegas were rarely ever home as they were always out and about.

There is materialism when it comes to cars in Phoenix. Most homes and lots aren't that big. I have never understood why people would pay $500,000 for the house in Scottsdale that they can get for $200,000 in San Tan Valley. Both are married cities with strip-malls except Scottsdale has more golf courses with well-off retirees.

Nothing wrong with the culture of the Phoenix area as many people like a routine of work, grocery store and then going home as it is that way in much of the country.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:41 PM

594 posts, read 702,719 times
The scenery is MAJESTIC !
The cities I've lived:
San Diego
Las Angeles
Atlanta, GA
Washington DC
Chicago
Columbus, OH
Phoenix, AZ
NewYork (Bronx, Brooklyn)

Overall package, no place can compare to visuals I get on a daily basis in Arixona.
Skyscrapers, skylines never change, sunrises and sunsets blended on the backdrops of mountains changes everyday.
Even the night sky gives the moon a different look every night.
It is a blessing from my creator to be able to finish my life on his planet in a place that he spent just a little bit more time to create a masterpiece in such harsh conditions.
Yes, I'm very grateful.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:14 PM

549 posts, read 1,564,790 times
The scenery is gorgeous. The city is ugly. It's unfortunate, but part of the charm of the desert is the environment itself - the cacti, the rugged mountains, the desert wildflowers. The city tries to capture that by putting in xeriscaped lawns, but it doesn't work - you have these similar looking adobe homes all wedged into the desert, some with "desert" lawns, some with grass, many with pools. The resorts do a little better, they have the money to capture more of the environment, but as a whole I don't think the scenery registered.

I feel similarly about the culture. Phoenix and the Sonoran Desert does have a culture - the Native Americans who once occupied the area - and certainly amazing museums like the Heard do capture that. But a lot of Phoenix is strip malls that all look vaguely the same. Circle K. Bed Bath and Beyond. Target. Chain restaurant. Blocks of homes. Circle K. Bed Bath and Beyond. Target. Chain restaurant. Repeat.

There are some great things in Phoenix - the desert is beautiful and there are some superb restaurants, good theater, sports. It's all there. But it's scattered - you have to know where to look.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:30 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
OP, lots of areas to take in right around Phoenix depending on what you're looking for. Hiking, biking,etc opportunities all around the city in various state/local parks. Scottsdale and Mill Ave around Tempe for nightlife and some areas in downtown Phoenix are picking up a bit but I personally don't go there very often except to take in a concert. There's a ballet company, opera, and symphony in Phoenix if your tastes lean that way. Plenty of entertainment/touring acts big and small come through the region also. And of course all major sports and a big college sports scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
If you stop and take a moment, the natural scenery is beautiful. The natural scenery and city combination, not so much, because as a city Phoenix is really ugly when compared to a place like San Francisco, which is beautiful as a city and in its natural setting. Just about every day I can plainly see several of the area's prominent mountains, but to be honest I barely notice them because I'm so used to seeing them they just blend into the background. Likewise, I think if I lived anywhere else, features noticeable to an outsider would just blend in for me in time, whether it's mountains, the ocean, monuments, the skyline, or whatever. Culturally, it's pretty bland and lackluster here. I mean this in the local culture, as Phoenix doesn't have a renowned culture the way many other US cities do, and in the arts, as the area is severely lacking in many forms of the arts, such as literature, music, visual, performances, etc.
And they say Phoenix geography is brown being in a desert:

Poop map shows scale of San Francisco's human tragedy

Map shows S.F.’s human poop on the streets - SFGate Blog

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,720,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The scenery is very nice. Lusher then most western cities and I like the small mountains right in the metro area itself.

The culture is extremely introverted hence why there are huge walls all over the place. In general, Phoenix residents like to be left alone. They are rather polite though in general and the customer service in stores tends to be much better then other western cities.

People are extremely live and let live. They don't care about others and what they do as long as it doesn't impact them. There is very little sense of community but the good thing is few are trying to influence anyone else on politics or religion.

The typical metro Phoenix residents goes to work, goes to a store or two and goes home and stays at their house doing house-based activities.

I have never understood why people pay three times more per square to live in Scottsdale then San Tan Valley except for commute purposes it is all the same to me. The great thing about the Valley is in general it's the same stores, restaurants and retail repeated every couple of miles.

It is a very married metropolitan area. I am so glad to have roommates and nice co-workers because it is so married and family oriented all throughout the metropolitan area. There is a real stigma to being single in Phoenix that I have never seen before and I have lived in Utah County, Utah and never seen anything like this.

A vast majority of people moving to metro Phoenix are either married snowbirds or married families.

I had 20-something Phoenix roommates and 20-something Las Vegas roommates before and the ones in Phoenix just work and stay at home and play video games and watch sports. The roommates in Las Vegas were rarely ever home as they were always out and about.

There is materialism when it comes to cars in Phoenix. Most homes and lots aren't that big. I have never understood why people would pay $500,000 for the house in Scottsdale that they can get for $200,000 in San Tan Valley. Both are married cities with strip-malls except Scottsdale has more golf courses with well-off retirees.

Nothing wrong with the culture of the Phoenix area as many people like a routine of work, grocery store and then going home as it is that way in much of the country.
Because San Tan Valley is out in the sticks, it's cheap because there is nothing to do around there

Old 11-20-2016, 05:27 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
OP, lots of areas to take in right around Phoenix depending on what you're looking for. Hiking, biking,etc opportunities all around the city in various state/local parks. Scottsdale and Mill Ave around Tempe for nightlife and some areas in downtown Phoenix are picking up a bit but I personally don't go there very often except to take in a concert. There's a ballet company, opera, and symphony in Phoenix if your tastes lean that way. Plenty of entertainment/touring acts big and small come through the region also. And of course all major sports and a big college sports scene.

And they say Phoenix geography is brown being in a desert:

Poop map shows scale of San Francisco's human tragedy

Map shows S.F.’s human poop on the streets - SFGate Blog

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.
And this has what to do with the topic, aside from you trying to antagonize just because you have a differing opinion?

Tell you what, next time I walk my dog along the canal I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures of the beauty of Phoenix—from the human excrement lining it because it's a popular place for transients, to the great garbage patch that forms at the floodgate. Also, as the weather cools I should be able to get a lovely picture of the stagnant, toxic, brown cloud that just hovers over the entire city. But hey, I guess that, along with the sea of home conformity and strip mall culture, is breathtakingly gorgeous in your beholding eyes.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:32 PM

768 posts, read 1,765,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Comparing San Tan Valley to Scottsdale runs the line of comparing Paradise Valley to Maryville. You can't be serious with this analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area