Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM

23 posts, read 59,276 times

Advertisements

Sheesh...
I love Columbus,Ohio but I have had enough.
After reading some postings,I wanted to ask a few questions.
Is apartment living doable in Chandler or Buckeye?
I have the same type of questions everyone else has, safety and peace of mind when choosing an area.
I am not in the market for buying a house,renting is the only option.
I work for Schwebel Bakery and deliver bread to stores and restaurants.
I would like to continue that line of work out there.
It would seem most of the bread companies are located in Phoenix,would living in Chandler or Buckeye present any commute challenges?
If I made around 50,000/yr. here in Columbus,and expected to make the same out there,can I expect to find decent housing?
From a few websites that compare salaries, it seems the money is fairly close.
The hours of work I would imagine would have me up and on the road by 4 am.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Bucksfan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Youre gonna trade "life-draining" winters for "life-draining" summers. Have you even visited AZ before? Or is this another "Im tired of winter so I want to move somewhere warm, but I have no idea how truly hot it is in Arizona and Ill just end up hating the heat anyways" thread?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:57 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Some very interesting questions, Bucksfan.

I've always been a firm believer that there is no perfect place to live, however, after about a dozen moves . . . Tucson is as close to perfect as I have ever experienced.

The weather is fantastic most of the year. Granted a little on the uncomfortable side during July and August but summers are a little tough in just about every corner of the U.S.

Apartment living (either the big complex type or single condo rentals) should not be a problem. Rents and utilities are as reasonable, if not lower, than any place around.

As far as a job paying the same as back home . . . remember, is doesn't matter how much money you make as much as how much money remains after all expenses are met.

Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre gonna trade "life-draining" winters for "life-draining" summers. Have you even visited AZ before? Or is this another "Im tired of winter so I want to move somewhere warm, but I have no idea how truly hot it is in Arizona and Ill just end up hating the heat anyways" thread?
Well... Steve-o, yes this me venting my displeasure at old man winter.
But,I have been to Arizona a few times in the last few years.
I came the first time and looked around and was unable to make the move because of family issues.
The last time was to see the Canyon,this time I want it to be for good.
I guess I am like anyone else,just looking for advice on areas to obviously avoid.
I like to work come home and relax,no meth cooking or bad neighbors or deviant wacked out neighborhoods.

From what I have been able to learn about your area, I believe I would like to live around the Avondale,Tempe,Chandler or Gilbert area.
What can I expect to pay for rent in these areas?
Can I get a decent place in a nice area for 500-600 a month or do I need to up the price a bit?
Can I find houses to rent in those areas?
I know upfront that any info provided,is just opinion and cannot be taken as fact,I plan on investigating further.
I'm happy to have found this place and look forward to learn more about Az before I venture out.
Thanks for responding,I need all the advice and help I can get.
Bucksfan

Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,474 times
I'm the opposite of you. I want to move up north.

I'm tired of the heat. I can deal with the cold... It's my style. I like cold, cloudy, cozy winters.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Some very interesting questions, Bucksfan.

I've always been a firm believer that there is no perfect place to live, however, after about a dozen moves . . . Tucson is as close to perfect as I have ever experienced.

The weather is fantastic most of the year. Granted a little on the uncomfortable side during July and August but summers are a little tough in just about every corner of the U.S.

Apartment living (either the big complex type or single condo rentals) should not be a problem. Rents and utilities are as reasonable, if not lower, than any place around.

As far as a job paying the same as back home . . . remember, is doesn't matter how much money you make as much as how much money remains after all expenses are met.

Good Luck!
Thats all true.
I have a comfort level here,I know that it will take some time to get that in a new location.
I would love to find a house to rent,but have looked online at some different sites and have been shellshocked at some of the rents places get.
Ohhhh well..the joy of relocating eh? Nothing like rounding up the horses and jumping on a wagon and heading west..
Thanks for replying I need the advice and help.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan45 View Post
Thats all true.
I have a comfort level here,I know that it will take some time to get that in a new location.
I would love to find a house to rent,but have looked online at some different sites and have been shellshocked at some of the rents places get.
Ohhhh well..the joy of relocating eh? Nothing like rounding up the horses and jumping on a wagon and heading west..
Thanks for replying I need the advice and help.
I understand fully, Bucksfan.

Moving to a new area can be downright scary and definitely takes courage. After relocating here about ten years ago with no job and without knowing a soul I know exactly how you feel. My only complaint was that I didn't do it ten years earlier.

and, by the way, a fresh clean slate tends to move mountains.

Once again, GOOD LUCK.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I understand fully, Bucksfan.

Moving to a new area can be downright scary and definitely takes courage. After relocating here about ten years ago with no job and without knowing a soul I know exactly how you feel. My only complaint was that I didn't do it ten years earlier.

and, by the way, a fresh clean slate tends to move mountains.

Once again, GOOD LUCK.
Im having one heck of a time trying to make that same decision. Got hired by a Scottsdale PD, but the thought of moving 2000 miles away and not knowing anyone, being on my own for the first time at 21 years old is a bit scary. Thank god they're giving me time and a bit of leeway.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Im having one heck of a time trying to make that same decision. Got hired by a Scottsdale PD, but the thought of moving 2000 miles away and not knowing anyone, being on my own for the first time at 21 years old is a bit scary. Thank god they're giving me time and a bit of leeway.
I would accept your LEO's position and get a couple of years under your belt; you would have much less trouble 'transferring' if needed

Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
I would definitely find what location you will be based out of (ie where you have to go to pickup your deliveries and get I presume the company truck) BEFORE you decide on a location to live. The city of Phoenix alone is HUGE. The freeways are a nightmare at rush hour-try to live close enough to work that you can take surface streets if you are on a regular day shift (which are really nice and flow at a respectable 45 mph even during rush hour most days).

I do think you will have to up your expected rent up a little. My niece has a pretty nice place in a nice neighborhood (North Scottsdale). I think she got around $800 for 1BR. She only makes $45K. So long as you dont have tons of other bills, would be doable. I am not familiar with the other areas (ie Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert) but I dont suspect you will find anything at your price range in a "nice" neighborhood.

I relocated from Cleveland last September. The day I arrived was 115'. ;-) I will take the heat and sunshine over the cold and snow anyday.

Good luck in finalizing your plans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area