Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 11:42 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,308,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think it sort of depends on that mile distance. More built up or dense areas are a lot more pleasant to walk around in as a pedestrian versus parking lots and single family homes. Especially if it's shaded vs. unshaded. One time when I was in Downtown Tucson I walked 4 miles and didn't even know it. But it also wasn't 115 outside... so that's why it wasn't an issue.
Definitely agree about shade. Even an urban area shadowed by buildings helps as far as the shade factor ... not as refreshing or relaxing as being in a grassy park or on a tree lined street, but any kind of shade is welcome here, especially in the summer months. I find the most unpleasant walks are on unshaded suburban thoroughfares, especially the wide divided streets. They're fine for being vehicle centric, but not very walkable at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 07:56 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,754,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Definitely agree about shade. Even an urban area shadowed by buildings helps as far as the shade factor ... not as refreshing or relaxing as being in a grassy park or on a tree lined street, but any kind of shade is welcome here, especially in the summer months. I find the most unpleasant walks are on unshaded suburban thoroughfares, especially the wide divided streets. They're fine for being vehicle centric, but not very walkable at all.
We walk mill frequently in the summer, the shade they’ve created is awesome, hopefully downtown Phoenix can follow suit in that regard.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 AM

189 posts, read 231,896 times
Default Arizona Center lands AC Hotel Downtown Phoenix

...and the big hits keep coming. Arizona Center will probably be the most dense block in downtown once 31-story apartment tower and this hotel is finished. Both scheduled to get started in Q2 2018.

https://azbigmedia.com/arizona-cente...ntown-phoenix/

Old 11-08-2017, 11:37 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,308,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
...and the big hits keep coming. Arizona Center will probably be the most dense block in downtown once 31-story apartment tower and this hotel is finished. Both scheduled to get started in Q2 2018.

Sounds like a step in the right direction. Keep in mind, however, construction hasn't started on either project, so for now it's only a proposal. Too many highrise projects and other developments have been in the planning stages in recent years, only to be scrapped with vacant lots left in the aftermath, so there is some rightful skepticism whenever something is announced. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Keep in mind, however, construction hasn't started on either project, so for now it's only a proposal. Too many highrise projects and other developments have been in the planning stages in recent years, only to be scrapped with vacant lots left in the aftermath, so there is some rightful skepticism whenever something is announced. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Default USAA adding 1,000 tech jobs in Phoenix in next 3 years

More proof to back up my claim that Phoenix is becoming a great tech city. And no, these are not "back office or call center" tech jobs as most like to claim. These are high-paying jobs as software developers/engineers.

Would've loved these jobs closer to the core but USAA already is established in Deer Valley. 1K high-paying tech jobs over the next 3 years is great news.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...in-next-3.html

Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,849,807 times
Quote:

Weird that it's only going to be 15 stories

Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 PM

8,654 posts, read 10,194,737 times
Quote:
Sure.

Well, recently you're seeing the Stewart under construction, the Arizona Center renovation underway, the Central Park Fairfield Inn topped off, The Link and Block 23 underway. Not to mention all of the low-mid-rise projects underway in midtown and downtown. Look at all of the construction in Tempe as well. A lot of those vacant lots are getting left behind. That's a good sign.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,759,733 times
Quote:
More proof to back up my claim that Phoenix is becoming a great tech city. And no, these are not "back office or call center" tech jobs as most like to claim. These are high-paying jobs as software developers/engineers.

Would've loved these jobs closer to the core but USAA already is established in Deer Valley. 1K high-paying tech jobs over the next 3 years is great news.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...in-next-3.html
The IT department of an insurance company, or 6 such things, hardly makes Phoenix a "tech" haven or the next Silicon Valley. Good to see jobs, though.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:55 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,636,127 times
Quote:
Exactly. The Pin proposal that was supposed to be constructed before the Glendale Superbowl - Dead. The 19-story microunit apartment building that was supposed to go up near Trumpet Alehouse - Dead. Central Station - Dead. The Fillmore Apartments RFP - Still a vacant lot. The Knipe House RFP north of Roosevelt - Dead. These are just a small handful of projects that were promised and went nowhere. I don't fully trust that a highrise is viable here until it is completely finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area