Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Phoenix New Times has an exhaustive events calendar and AZCentral usually has a "What to do in Phoenix this weekend" article every weekend.

You say museums are out, but many people who aren't much on art or history might actually love the Musical Instrument Museum, or perhaps the Police and Fire museums or the Martin auto museum. If kids or grandkids are involved the Phoenix Children's Museum is great.

Perhaps there is a sporting event you could attend. Suns, Coyotes, ASU has a million sports teams, Grand Canyon has some too. There's also the Phoenix Symphony and also the Phoenix Theatre.
Exactly! This thread appears to be yet another senseless gripe about the weather, which by the way is absolutely gorgeous. Most of the precipitation is staying in central & northern CA where it's really needed anyway. Sure it's been cloudy lately, but so what? The temperatures have been ideal. I'd rather be outside in this weather than blazing sun & 110 degrees like it is practically every day in the summer ... and I'm a native with supposedly "thin blood".

Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,365,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Blood doesn't thin out. I wish people would stop saying that.
I wrote about that in one of my posts way back when. But a refresher to the "non-believers", is basically your blood vessels will relax or contract respective to the environment you are in hot or cold. This allows for the dissipation of body heat in the event that external temperatures are high and for the preservation of heat when external temperatures are low, thus preserving the system's efficiency.

So in a cold environment, your small blood vessels on the surface of our body will get smaller to keep warm blood deeper inside. In the heat, they do the opposite and dilate to release heat from the body.

A person living in say, Phoenix or Miami, for years/decades will have their small blood vessels dilated and closer to the surface, so when they go to a cold/cooler place, they will be more "sensitive" to that temperature until their body adjusts. Likewise a person living in say, Alaska or Canada, for years/decades will have their small blood vessels constricted and further away from the surface, so when they go to a hot/warmer place, they would probably sweat a lot more than a native person, until their blood vessels adapted and dilated.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
I wouldn't skip Sedona even with the rain and cool temperatures. The rain is going to be on and off, and the higher elevations are awesome with rain and clouds around. The colors around Sedona are brought out by the moisture. Head up the canyon to Flagstaff, just watch for snow (don't go if you are driving on summer tires though). You can get out to go to restaurants or at scenic spots, and stay warm the rest of the time.

The transition from the lower to the high altitude in this state is something to see in any weather.

Phoenix/Sedona/Flagstaff/Phoenix is totally doable in a very leisurely day's drive and the variation in scenery is amazing to almost anyone who appreciates scenery of any sort.

Another option is to take a drive up to Tortilla Flat for a taste of the Superstition Mountains without any off-road driving, which only takes few hours total round trip.

If that's too much, take them up the 87 to Bush Highway past the lake and the river. It's a beautiful, but quick drive. Turn south and go over Usery Pass, then you're back in Mesa. Or do it in reverse for a nice view over the pass.

Or if that's too much, drive them up to the top of South Mountain, then go to the mall or see a movie, visit a museum, or do whatever is convenient.

Really, people here are trying to help you, but you have to admit that having to bundle up and stay indoors because it's 55 and cloudy, does come off as a bit melodramatic. It's hard to avoid a sarcastic response or two (and I resisted giving one myself...).

Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Top Golf? I know it's technically outdoors, but they have heaters and if you are golfing you stay warm. They have good food and a full bar. We went there on a colder January day a couple of years ago for a work outing and we all stayed warm. I didn't even golf (not my thing) but I enjoyed it. There are several in the valley

http://topgolf.com/us/

I also recommend the MIM (Musical Instrument Museum). I am not a museum person, but I really enjoyed it. I'd like to go back. It's definitely not your typical museum.

Other than that, I think you have gotten some good ideas. Maybe the aquarium at Arizona Mills and shopping?

Old 01-12-2017, 01:02 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,608,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
All the plans to show my family around the beautiful outdoors in Phoenix and Sedona are out, because of the weather system coming in this weekend. Our blood is too thin to be outdoors too much in the 50s-low 60s expected during the days, especially without the sun shining.

I understand there are a few museums, but none really of interest to this group. I'd appreciate any ideas! Thanks everyone! Also if you know of somewhere with beauty within a about a 2-hour drive that won't be affected by this weather, that would be awesome!

I know you said "no museums", but Arizona Science Center in downtown Phoenix is fun for kids of all ages.

www.azscience.org

How about shopping? We've got some great indoor malls here.
Scottsdale Fashion Square or Chandler Fashion Center

Old 01-12-2017, 05:48 PM

84 posts, read 152,584 times
I appreciate all the ideas.

And to "Valley Native" referring to my sincere question as a senseless gripe about the weather, and "43north87west, trying to get me to admit my needs are melodramatic," I hope you have a wonderfully easy life and no one makes fun of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area