U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 AM

61 posts, read 70,659 times

Advertisements

Thank you AZJoeD, you are a credit to the forum.

We sent you a message!

I had hoped we could get inside info on Anthem while making use of public forums to expand the available public knowledge about this area but the discussion from the less focused members seems to be heading towards defining whether snowbirds are welcome in AZ, what is "close" "good" , "winter" and what the definition of "is" is.

Last edited by northernborn; 01-26-2017 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 AM

6,802 posts, read 12,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernborn View Post
Thank you AZJoeD, you are a credit to the forum.

We sent you a message!

I had hoped we could get inside info on Anthem while making use of public forums to expand the available public knowledge about this area but the discussion from the less focused members seems to be heading towards defining whether snowbirds are welcome in AZ, what is "close" "good" , "winter" and what the definition of "is" is.
No one said anything about snowbirds being unwelcome. Come join us! It's just that you're asking for amenities that don't exist anywhere (this isn't specific to Anthem or even AZ) if you require being far removed from a city.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:38 AM

5,534 posts, read 6,360,907 times
I always chuckle when folks who don't live in Anthem claim it's too far from everything.

Been here almost 5 years and it does not feel that way to me. Considering part of Anthem is actually IN Phoenix it's a head scratcher. Ok, so the airport is 45 minutes away. So what? We don't have low flying planes rattling our houses. Unless you're flying somewhere weekly it's not a problem. There are two supermarkets and a WalMart right in Anthem, plus the Outlets, CVS, Walgreens, lots of small retailers, doctors, Urgent Care, etc. Just a few exits down a wide stretch of I-17 that never has any traffic jams (barring the rare major crash) is Happy Valley and the Shops at Norterra with tons of stores, restaurants, a movie theater, and so on. Fine dining and cultural things like museums, sure, those are in the city but still are not difficult to get to unless you foolishly try driving in during rush hour. I think we don't realize how spoiled we are. Try living in the suburbs of NYC, Philly, LA, or other large cities and see what a hassle it is to go in at any time of day. It's a cakewalk here compared to that.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 AM

9,310 posts, read 9,905,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I always chuckle when folks who don't live in Anthem claim it's too far from everything.

Been here almost 5 years and it does not feel that way to me. Considering part of Anthem is actually IN Phoenix it's a head scratcher. Ok, so the airport is 45 minutes away. So what? We don't have low flying planes rattling our houses. Unless you're flying somewhere weekly it's not a problem. There are two supermarkets and a WalMart right in Anthem, plus the Outlets, CVS, Walgreens, lots of small retailers, doctors, Urgent Care, etc. Just a few exits down a wide stretch of I-17 that never has any traffic jams (barring the rare major crash) is Happy Valley and the Shops at Norterra with tons of stores, restaurants, a movie theater, and so on. Fine dining and cultural things like museums, sure, those are in the city but still are not difficult to get to unless you foolishly try driving in during rush hour. I think we don't realize how spoiled we are. Try living in the suburbs of NYC, Philly, LA, or other large cities and see what a hassle it is to go in at any time of day. It's a cakewalk here compared to that.
I lived in Deer Valley and felt THAT was too far from many happenings in the valley, and that's south of you! Sure I had Walmart and Target and grocery stores, etc nearby, but most events just seemed like a damn long drive from there.

As far as the airport, it's used as a point of reference because it is fairly centrally located to the valley, not because people fly all the time.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:21 AM

5,534 posts, read 6,360,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I lived in Deer Valley and felt THAT was too far from many happenings in the valley, and that's south of you! Sure I had Walmart and Target and grocery stores, etc nearby, but most events just seemed like a damn long drive from there.

As far as the airport, it's used as a point of reference because it is fairly centrally located to the valley, not because people fly all the time.
That's fine and I wasn't specifically calling out your post, more of a combination of things I've read over the years. It's all relative.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 AM

3,529 posts, read 7,315,409 times
Quote:

It just depends on what you want. I think you're single (not positive) so going out with friends is probably more of a major part of your life. Anthem is a bit of a drive from the center of the city, but it is still less than 10 minutes from most of the shopping and dining they need, including a decent sushi place in Norterra that I have been to. It's not necessarily for me, but I could see how others would think of it as perfect and not far from the things they like

Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 AM

9,310 posts, read 9,905,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It just depends on what you want. I think you're single (not positive) so going out with friends is probably more of a major part of your life. Anthem is a bit of a drive from the center of the city, but it is still less than 10 minutes from most of the shopping and dining they need, including a decent sushi place in Norterra that I have been to. It's not necessarily for me, but I could see how others would think of it as perfect and not far from the things they like
Even in Deer Valley I was super close to all the daily shopping and dining I needed, even not far from Happy Valley/Norterra, but I felt far removed from anything else going on in the valley such as events, and whatnot. The only plus was being closer to the road to Las Vegas. I'm not single (not sure how that is relevant), but I still like to go out and about outside of my neighborhood without having to drive 40 miles. I know that is not everyone, YMMV.

The OP seems to be the opposite, which was not obvious from their first post.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:50 AM

3,529 posts, read 7,315,409 times
Quote:
Even in Deer Valley I was super close to all the daily shopping and dining I needed, even not far from Happy Valley/Norterra, but I felt far removed from anything else going on in the valley such as events, and whatnot. The only plus was being closer to the road to Las Vegas. I'm not single (not sure how that is relevant), but I still like to go out and about outside of my neighborhood without having to drive 40 miles. I know that is not everyone, YMMV.

The OP seems to be the opposite, which was not obvious from their first post.
Right, the same way you value events and perhaps nightlife may be the same way others value golf, cooking meals at home, movies, occasionally going out for a burger or Italian Food. I'm somewhere in between as I don't need nightlife anymore, a handful of sports bars is all I need but I prefer being closer to more options.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:42 AM

5,953 posts, read 7,341,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Right, the same way you value events and perhaps nightlife may be the same way others value golf, cooking meals at home, movies, occasionally going out for a burger or Italian Food. I'm somewhere in between as I don't need nightlife anymore, a handful of sports bars is all I need but I prefer being closer to more options.
Agreed ^^. It's all about trade-offs and where you are at in your life.

No one can have it all; because the theoretical perfect place doesn't exist for anyone. I cannot think of one place in the country which is perfect. As soon as I get closer to my best overall attributes (the Bay Area comes to mind) there are are some severe downsides that come with it. So it is all about writing down what is important and figuring out what compromises you want.

Trade-offs, trade-offs, trade-offs. For instance, if you want walkability, then you are going to be living by a lot of people. That comes with parking hassles, smaller than average living quarters / less land, folks intertwined with mental illness (homeless), congestion, etc etc. The upside is you usually get better restaurants with better ambience. The neighborhood "feel" can also be far superior. But that comes at an increased COL.

I think the OP was suggesting he got a snob-like attitude. For instance, if I said I want to drive a nice car and later explained I was going to buy a Chevy Malibu, there will be some people poo-pooing that decision. Because some people only think of a nice car to mean >$60K. With food, I consider a "nice" steakhouse as our local well-run LongHorn. Gasp. It's a chain too! Sure, I've been to exceptional steakhouses before in NYC; Smith and Wollensky's come to mind, as well as around the country and world. But I can get a $22 steak that is extremely good for my taste buds and with wonderful (yet not incredible) service and ambience. If I want something more special, I can drive a 1/2 an hour into a more conjested location to dine. For that matter, I can walk to Vogue Bistro and an even better steak for $30. God forbid, it is in a strip mall and surely some forum snobs are going to look down on this.

That all said, there are people that move to the outer burbs which I don't consider very smart. That's because they have never bothered to calculate what their hours of enjoyment is worth after their too far away commute. So the supposed savings on housing soon gets gobbled on on car expenses. Also after work and the commute, they have about 2 hours (while exhausted) free time M-F. That isn't smart in my opinion and some posters rationalize it because "it's better than LA" where they came from.

But the OP isn't going to work. He wants to get out of the cold for x amounts of months while keeping his eye on the economic ball called his nest egg. Furthermore, there are people that actually like being away from the city life. A part of me falls into that category. Even though I'd LOVE to have a better walkability score. Trade-offs!

Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 AM

6,802 posts, read 12,637,979 times
^Wrong. The OP got a bit of an attitude because his request doesn't make sense. He's asking for something that doesn't exist anywhere. You can't be removed from civilization and expect to find good dining with variety and "specialty shopping" nearby. You may get a McDonald's and a Walmart and no matter how much you remove the snob-factor, those don't qualify. The whole request is an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or