U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 AM

4,682 posts, read 8,960,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernborn View Post
Thank you AZJoeD, you are a credit to the forum.

We sent you a message!

I had hoped we could get inside info on Anthem while making use of public forums to expand the available public knowledge about this area but the discussion from the less focused members seems to be heading towards defining whether snowbirds are welcome in AZ, what is "close" "good" , "winter" and what the definition of "is" is.
This is unbelievable, people genuinely attempted to provide you advice even though your posts/questions don't make sense. Now you're criticizing me because I said 130 miles would put you in winter weather???

I'm done with you and I hope others move on to people that actually want assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 01:43 PM

5,911 posts, read 7,305,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
^Wrong. The OP got a bit of an attitude because his request doesn't make sense. He's asking for something that doesn't exist anywhere. You can't be removed from civilization and expect to find good dining with variety and "specialty shopping" nearby. You may get a McDonald's and a Walmart and no matter how much you remove the snob-factor, those don't qualify. The whole request is an oxymoron.
Wrong back at you ^. See http://www.outletsanthem.com/pdfs/web_map.pdf as just one example of about 60 specilty stores. No, it's not upscale fashion nor high end furnishings. But he didn't ask for that. When you are asking about Anthem, AZ and researching homes, I suspect a golfer who has $300K-$400K to spend on a 2nd home is smart enough to know that you don't get upscale shopping and dozens of ethnic cuisines. He isn't moving to Manhattan or the Bay area. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and figured out what he meant by "speciality shops".

For whatever reason, you continue to describe anything out of the central hub as "McDonald's and Walmart" as if your goal was to prove how bad everyone has it other than the (mostly) fine folks in Scottsdale. Whatever. To me at least, that has an elitist attitude. May I remind you, you roast your arse off 6 months a year and he doesn't. The rich guys in Scottsdale get the Hell out of Dodge for the summer months. So enough with the attitude already. if he picks Anthem, AZ, he's not slumming it nor will he be missing culture at the Music Museum of AZ.

Back to the topic. Yea, Anthem is disconnected briefly by x amount of (short) miles. For me, that's a reason why I personally didn't pick Anthem or for that matter, Buckeye. Notice I didn't have to have some sort of an elitist attitude about it. Barring that, as sure as I am sitting here, it will fill in. Anthem has hospitals, decent dining for most people's standards, golf courses, etc. So I didn't hear a bit of attitude from him until he called out some posters that DO have attitudes. And I would agree.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 PM

6,784 posts, read 12,610,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Wrong back at you ^. See http://www.outletsanthem.com/pdfs/web_map.pdf as just one example of about 60 specilty stores. No, it's not upscale fashion nor high end furnishings. But he didn't ask for that. When you are asking about Anthem, AZ and researching homes, I suspect a golfer who has $300K-$400K to spend on a 2nd home is smart enough to know that you don't get upscale shopping and dozens of ethnic cuisines. He isn't moving to Manhattan or the Bay area. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and figured out what he meant by "speciality shops".

For whatever reason, you continue to describe anything out of the central hub as "McDonald's and Walmart" as if your goal was to prove how bad everyone has it other than the (mostly) fine folks in Scottsdale. Whatever. To me at least, that has an elitist attitude. May I remind you, you roast your arse off 6 months a year and he doesn't. The rich guys in Scottsdale get the Hell out of Dodge for the summer months. So enough with the attitude already. if he picks Anthem, AZ, he's not slumming it nor will he be missing culture at the Music Museum of AZ.

Back to the topic. Yea, Anthem is disconnected briefly by x amount of (short) miles. For me, that's a reason why I personally didn't pick Anthem or for that matter, Buckeye. Notice I didn't have to have some sort of an elitist attitude about it. Barring that, as sure as I am sitting here, it will fill in. Anthem has hospitals, decent dining for most people's standards, golf courses, etc. So I didn't hear a bit of attitude from him until he called out some posters that DO have attitudes. And I would agree.
You're not following the whole thread. It's not about Anthem not having what he's looking for in terms of amenities. I agree, you could make the argument that it does. It's that the OP said Anthem is too close for him:

Quote:
thanks to many for the replies, Anthem was suggested to us but it sounds like it is too close to Phoenix for us.

currently we have a city just about 30 miles and that is close enough for immediate needs, gasoline, ice cream, coffee.
everyone does their main pantry filling and fridge fill ups in billings, 130 miles or so away, that's the distance we are looking for and what we consider 'close'.
Try to pay attention here before wasting your time with a three paragraph irrelevant rant. He wants to live in the middle of nowhere with dining options and "specialty shopping". So again, he's asking for something that doesn't exist, hence the remarks he received.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:56 PM

501 posts, read 314,609 times
Check out Wickenburg Ranch if you don't mind driving to amenities. Nice Community, great golf course, 10 minutes to necessities and about 40 minutes from Phoenix or 3 hours from Vegas.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:18 PM

7,074 posts, read 5,106,583 times
Quote:
thanks to many for the replies, Anthem was suggested to us but it sounds like it is too close to Phoenix for us.

currently we have a city just about 30 miles and that is close enough for immediate needs, gasoline, ice cream, coffee.
everyone does their main pantry filling and fridge fill ups in billings, 130 miles or so away, that's the distance we are looking for and what we consider 'close'.
At risk of jumping in the fire here, OP, based on what you're looking for, many outside communities around the Phoenix area and beyond might fit your bill given it sounds like you perhaps don't mind driving a ways to get what you are looking for.

Regardless, in your case, what I would suggest is searching on google or yahoo, search on a city in AZ you're looking at, what you're looking for, ie restaurants, and that will give you a good idea on a map how far away from a given city various restaurants, gas stations, any amenity you are looking for and see if it fits your criteria. For example, here's a google on "Anthem, AZ restaurants" search results:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...E,lf:1,lf_ui:9

Take that as a starting point as all restaurants/various places of course aren't indexed/included on all search engines but I'd start there. And perhaps go to other places like yelp and beyond to get more info and see if the types of places/distance works for you. We've used this technique many times for many reasons and short of visiting a place, it's a good method. Good luck to you.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 PM

61 posts, read 70,329 times
Quote:
^Wrong. The OP got a bit of an attitude because his request doesn't make sense. He's asking for something that doesn't exist anywhere. You can't be removed from civilization and expect to find good dining with variety and "specialty shopping" nearby. You may get a McDonald's and a Walmart and no matter how much you remove the snob-factor, those don't qualify. The whole request is an oxymoron.
don't feed the troll

Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
don't feed the troll
I don't think you understand the meaning of that phrase. It doesn't apply here. You came here for advice with an impossible request. We tried to help.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You're not following the whole thread. It's not about Anthem not having what he's looking for in terms of amenities. I agree, you could make the argument that it does. It's that the OP said Anthem is too close for him:

Try to pay attention here before wasting your time with a three paragraph irrelevant rant. He wants to live in the middle of nowhere with dining options and "specialty shopping". So again, he's asking for something that doesn't exist, hence the remarks he received.
I did follow the thread. My last rant actually was aimed more specifically at your recirculating comments summarizing areas that you don't find appealing as "Walmart and McDonalds". Your other demeaning posts over time have included adding AppleBee's and Home Depot into the descriptor for towns that have 125,000 people. Evidently, he didn't appreciate your comment either. Your descriptors are condescending.

The OP later explained that he currently lives 130 miles away and he finds that acceptable. Therefore Anthem distance will work out fine. In other words, he wants to be disconnected to some degree. He was looking for others to pipe in offering ideas of about traffic, dining, proximity to shopping OTHER than Walmart and Home Depot and golf. I propose you need to follow along.

Of course, there are even more communities that exist farther away than Anthem that have the infrastructure he finds more than acceptable: places like Casa Grande, Yuma, Lake Havasu City, Prescott, Payson. And mysteriously, a lot of those locations have Snowbirds. All "far away and disconnected" containing plenty of amenities and golfing for them. It's why I said you were wrong.

We obviously agree that your town has (200X?) more specialty shoppings and fine dining than Anthem in combination with the Happy Valley area. Hands down, I'd rather live in Scottsdale over Anthem. IMHO, it's not close. But the OP didn't ask about Scottsdale and why we like it better. In other words, you never answered his questions; just a critique of the proximity and he supposedly impossible desired town attributes. But of course, they do exist in various towns in AZ listed about far removed from the PHX metro.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 AM

To the OP. Here is some feedback. Disclaimer. I haven't driven around all of the town of Anthem. Just some neighborhoods and I liked the area. It's a clean, safe and a new. Eventually (measured in a decade or more), it's expected that PHX will connect up to Anthem. It will take that long because as you start to add a miles of infrastructure to outlying areas, there is a massive amount of surface area to build out (remember pie r^2 back in geometry). Also, there are rumors that Phoenix proper will annex Anthem in the not so distant future. So keep that in mind. If you got serious about the area, google it as to what those implications are. I just don't know.

I've been near Anthem on the 17 during rush hour a couple of times. The traffic is slow-and-go getting into PHX and cars back up accordingly. I was was patiently waiting to get on the 303 let alone getting closer into PHX. Outside of rush hour, pointing your car south on the 17 will always be 65 MPH. So you are a hop, skip, and a jump away from the Happy Valley exit which will prove to have more stores to buy more specialty items.

Currently, the brand new 303 has little to no traffic. So you could get to Peoria (162,000 people) and Surprise (125,000 people) quickly by interstate (20 minutes). Anthem is a bedroom community that new and well done. One of the strengths for Anthem is the proximity to the beautiful Lake Pleasant. Often, we rent boats on this 10,000 acre lake and enjoy a "good" dinner at Dillons. If it was closer than 20 minutes, I'd probably buy a boat and rent a slip.

While living in Anthem, you are closer to some beautiful areas like Prescott (an area that you might want to explore to live), Sedona, and the cool area of Cave Creek/Carefree. I like to explore the outlying areas so that would be a plus for me.

What I have been taken back by is the massive area of the Phoenix valley area. On a map, everything looks so close. My point for mentioning this is you could be living in Peoria AZ (population 167,000) for for instance and feel completely disconnected from the City. That is because Peoria for instance has 178 square miles of area. A massive chunk of the town won't be developed for at least 20 years. So depending on how important it is to be multiple miles away from the big city, you might want to take a drive to an isolated area like the master planned community of Vistancia Vistancia | The Village inside of the city limits of Peoria. The development is called "The Village"(they have other locations in AZ too). IMHO, you will feel every bit as isolated in Vistancia as you would in Anthem. But you will be surrounded by foothills and to most eyes, that looks more ideal (topography trumps flat).

So if you would like some other idea of where to stare at, please expand your reasoning for wanting to be farther out and what you are hoping for in infrastructure (examples of stores, caliber of restaurants, how much variety of golfing, budget, etc.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I did follow the thread. My last rant actually was aimed more specifically at your recirculating comments summarizing areas that you don't find appealing as "Walmart and McDonalds". Your other demeaning posts over time have included adding AppleBee's and Home Depot into the descriptor for towns that have 125,000 people. Evidently, he didn't appreciate your comment either. Your descriptors are condescending.

The OP later explained that he currently lives 130 miles away and he finds that acceptable. Therefore Anthem distance will work out fine. In other words, he wants to be disconnected to some degree. He was looking for others to pipe in offering ideas of about traffic, dining, proximity to shopping OTHER than Walmart and Home Depot and golf. I propose you need to follow along.

Of course, there are even more communities that exist farther away than Anthem that have the infrastructure he finds more than acceptable: places like Casa Grande, Yuma, Lake Havasu City, Prescott, Payson. And mysteriously, a lot of those locations have Snowbirds. All "far away and disconnected" containing plenty of amenities and golfing for them. It's why I said you were wrong.

We obviously agree that your town has (200X?) more specialty shoppings and fine dining than Anthem in combination with the Happy Valley area. Hands down, I'd rather live in Scottsdale over Anthem. IMHO, it's not close. But the OP didn't ask about Scottsdale and why we like it better. In other words, you never answered his questions; just a critique of the proximity and he supposedly impossible desired town attributes. But of course, they do exist in various towns in AZ listed about far removed from the PHX metro.
I think having a house on the outskirts of town yourself has made you ultra-senstative, to the point that you're reading things that aren't there. My post was never a slam on Anthem nor did I once mention anything about Scottsdale as that clearly isn't a fit for him either. You're a solid poster, MN, but you're arguing a point that was never made. The OP himself said that Anthem is too close to Phoenix for him. He said it and I quoted it again; not sure how you keep missing that, He currently lives 30 miles from basic needs and 130 from more amenities and is seeking that same locale, but with specialty shopping and dining options. Explain how Anthem fits into that box, or anywhere for that matter. No one has answered his question. There is no answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or