U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 AM

17,706 posts, read 36,986,851 times

Advertisements

THe OP acknowledged, after the first post, that Anthem is too close to Phoenix, and that where the OP is now, he's 30 miles from basics, 130 miles from a bigger city for heavier shopping, etc., and wants something equivalent here. So, where in AZ? Communities around Prescott, maybe? Chino Valley, for instance? There's nothing in the "Phoenix area" that fits what the OP is looking for. Anthem isn't it, according to the OP.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 AM

5,943 posts, read 7,334,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
THe OP acknowledged, after the first post, that Anthem is too close to Phoenix, and that where the OP is now, he's 30 miles from basics, 130 miles from a bigger city for heavier shopping, etc., and wants something equivalent here. So, where in AZ? Communities around Prescott, maybe? Chino Valley, for instance? There's nothing in the "Phoenix area" that fits what the OP is looking for. Anthem isn't it, according to the OP.
Agreed. But I think the OP doesn't understand an important parameter about Phoenix as a whole. As I have mentioned more than once, The PHX metro area is unique in that towns in the Valley grab massive amounts of land mass. The biggest one of all is Phoenix proper at 517 square miles As you know, Phoenix stretches all the way down south of South Mountain Park which is parallel with Chandler and farther north than Anthem touching New River which is on the north side of Lake Pleasant. That's 56 miles from the most southern point to the most northern location. On the west side, Phoenix touches all the way to the town of Litchfield Park.

To put this all in perspective, Boston is 90 square miles, NYC a massive 304 which includes all of the burroughs, San Francisco 46 square miles and Miami at 55. Add these towns all together and you still don't get the surface area as Phoenix proper. Another important point, Phoenix has a fraction of the population density of the towns that I listed. So what I predict the OP didn't know is that you cannot remotely paint "Phoenix" with the same brush. Inside of Phoenix itself, there are historic areas, traditional downtown, ultra rural, "hoods", farmland, horse ranches, all kinds of light brown stucco boxes suburban feel, etc, etc, etc.

According to the OP's handle, he lives in a town in Wyoming called Wapiti. The population 117. What he DOESN'T know is Anthem might as well be 130 miles from what people think of "Phoenix" (even though "Phoenix" proper is literally on the west side of 17). Meaning, Phoenix is under a block away from Anthem. All the way up to the north Phoenix, it's going to take 100+ years to fill in. Maybe longer. To the OP, here are some pictures of New River AZ that touch the north end of Phoenix //www.city-data.com/city/New-River-Arizona.html . As you see, it's rural.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 670 times
Looking at Anthem and see a lot of resales if homes. Is that because people move there and change their minds? Want access to airport fr occasional travel so Prescott seems a bit far although I prefer their weather changes. Prescott Valley seems barren to me. What about another community suggestion?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 PM

5,943 posts, read 7,334,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesk View Post
Looking at Anthem and see a lot of resales if homes. Is that because people move there and change their minds? Want access to airport fr occasional travel so Prescott seems a bit far although I prefer their weather changes. Prescott Valley seems barren to me. What about another community suggestion?
People come to AZ to escape _______________. Then, they decide the area wasn't right for them or the weather or the _______________. Additionally, retirees have to move (age, health, death). The bottomline is there is a ton of buying and selling. I joke that UHaul has their headquarters in the right area (PHX on Central Ave & Thomas Rd).

A lot of words to say don't read into it too much. Welcome to the land of house swapping!

Old 02-02-2019, 02:05 PM

157 posts, read 316,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesk View Post

I looked at Zillow and one other listing site, and there are about 31 or 32 resale homes for sale in Anthem. There are over 10,000 homes in Anthem.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:56 PM

22 posts, read 23,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I always chuckle when folks who don't live in Anthem claim it's too far from everything.

Been here almost 5 years and it does not feel that way to me. Considering part of Anthem is actually IN Phoenix it's a head scratcher. Ok, so the airport is 45 minutes away. So what? We don't have low flying planes rattling our houses. Unless you're flying somewhere weekly it's not a problem. There are two supermarkets and a WalMart right in Anthem, plus the Outlets, CVS, Walgreens, lots of small retailers, doctors, Urgent Care, etc. Just a few exits down a wide stretch of I-17 that never has any traffic jams (barring the rare major crash) is Happy Valley and the Shops at Norterra with tons of stores, restaurants, a movie theater, and so on. Fine dining and cultural things like museums, sure, those are in the city but still are not difficult to get to unless you foolishly try driving in during rush hour. I think we don't realize how spoiled we are. Try living in the suburbs of NYC, Philly, LA, or other large cities and see what a hassle it is to go in at any time of day. It's a cakewalk here compared to that.
Well said. I live in Chicago and am only 15 miles away from work yet it takes an hour to get there whether I take the expressway or local. And that's not even during the heart of rush hour. You're spot on that people get spoiled. People don't know how bad things can be unless you've done it. But I only have 6 1/2 yrs left before I become an Anthem resident. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or