Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:27 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have been here since the 90's it's well known what areas of town one should stay away from unless if you like getting your home broken into and cars vandalized.
Interesting...in a previous west valley rant of yours you stated "I used to go out there in the 1980's lot smaller then. All I remember about the trashy area when we drove out there".

So, is it the 80's or 90's that you have been here since and have you been out here since then? It doesn't sound like it.

It is obvious that it isn't "well known" if you think that south of the 10 in Goodyear is where your house will be broken into and your car will be vandalized. That is far from the case.

Last edited by LBTRS; 02-15-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
If you are looking for best schools AND the best proximity to your work, then it has to be either Litchfield Park or Verrado. In fact, I'm surprised Verrado hasn't been mentioned here. It's a great, new master plan community with an excellent feel and the school are located right there. The schools are highly rated. The only downside is the fact that significant shopping, etc, is going to be further away (either in Buckeye/Watson Rd or Goodyear along McDowell/I-10 corridor). There is a lot to do there, however, and it's got a quaint, Main St small town feel that you just don't get many other places in and around Phoenix. For your proposed budget you'll get a lot for your money there, too.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:56 PM

126 posts, read 110,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
If you are looking for best schools AND the best proximity to your work, then it has to be either Litchfield Park or Verrado. In fact, I'm surprised Verrado hasn't been mentioned here. It's a great, new master plan community with an excellent feel and the school are located right there. The schools are highly rated. The only downside is the fact that significant shopping, etc, is going to be further away (either in Buckeye/Watson Rd or Goodyear along McDowell/I-10 corridor). There is a lot to do there, however, and it's got a quaint, Main St small town feel that you just don't get many other places in and around Phoenix. For your proposed budget you'll get a lot for your money there, too.
Wow...it sure does look nice...Verrado is in Buckeye correct? The Verrado schools are highly rated?

Old 02-16-2017, 06:14 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Interesting...in a previous west valley rant of yours you stated "I used to go out there in the 1980's lot smaller then. All I remember about the trashy area when we drove out there".

So, is it the 80's or 90's that you have been here since and have you been out here since then? It doesn't sound like it.

It is obvious that it isn't "well known" if you think that south of the 10 in Goodyear is where your house will be broken into and your car will be vandalized. That is far from the case.
In 1990, Goodyears population was 6,300. In 2017, the population is 77,000.

In 1990, Suprise had 7,200 people. Today it is 123,000.

In 1990, Peoria's population was 51,300. Now it is 162,000.

Needless to say, anyone with a brain should realize there have been MASSIVE changes.

But forget anecdotal evidence. Goodyear police subscribes to this service https://communitycrimemap.com . You can see when and what crimes were committed where. You don't have to guess. Fact: I looked, on average, there are less crimes on the north side versus the south side. As an aggregate, Goodyear is pretty safe. But as the map shows, there are more problems around the Goodyear Airport. There were basically no crimes in Estrella. Nearly zero crimes in Litchfield park too. That said, there were 2,200 crimes per 100,000 people. Crime in Goodyear as an aggregate is low. But generally, there are 2X more crimes on the south side of 10. Around the airport, is the focus of crime for the entire city of Goodyear which is a fraction of the total area represented south of 10.

So like always, follow the money. The farther you get away from Avondale (moving west), The crime drops off a cliff. Even by a mile or two. Hence, you cannot judge "South of the 10" with the same broad stroke. If someone's point was "South of the 10 around the Avondale border has the most crime in Goodyear", that is an undisputable fact. But slightly west of the Avondale border just west of the airport and you have incredibly low crime and very safe, crime free communities.

So there is no need to thump ones chest to say; "I know, I've been here since 1990". The facts are in the numbers presented in an easy graphical form https://communitycrimemap.com/ . After all, this site is called "city-data". So it can be stated with certainty that kell's 1990's memory is full of inaccurate misrepresentation as compared to 2017 realtime information.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-16-2017 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg1724 View Post
Wow...it sure does look nice...Verrado is in Buckeye correct? The Verrado schools are highly rated?
Correct, it's in Buckeye and borders Goodyear to the east. The schools in Verrado are definitely more highly rated than the surrounding areas (especially elsewhere in Buckeye).

Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
You might want to take a look at Waddell, maybe White Tank Foothills or Cortessa? Currently you can get much more bang for your buck than in Verrado. Currently in both subdivisions there are several 3000-4500 sqft homes with or without pools well within your budget. Heck, there's one that's 3041 sqft on almost a half acre with a large pool for $369k.
Shadow Ridge High has a good rating and is well thought of from the people I've heard from as do the elementary schools not to mention you'd be in the county so taxes will be less.

Depending on what house size you need or if you would like some land to maybe have a horse or just have a huge yard you might want to look at the area from Olive to Camelback/303 to Perryville Rd.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Some really nice and unique properties in that area mentioned by jimj. Very different feel the though. People ride horses around, very large lots, little tack/feed/general store off the 303 and Glendale. Definitely more of a rural feeling there

Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The elementary/middle schools in Verrado are in the Litchfield Elementary School District. Verrado High School is in the Agua Fria District. These are the same districts that have been discussed a bit.

While the community is in Buckeye, they do not use Buckeye schools.

Water bills there are known to be high due to their water provider. This is separate from the water billing/metering issues with the city of buckeye in other areas of the city

Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You might want to take a look at Waddell, maybe White Tank Foothills or Cortessa? Currently you can get much more bang for your buck than in Verrado. Currently in both subdivisions there are several 3000-4500 sqft homes with or without pools well within your budget. Heck, there's one that's 3041 sqft on almost a half acre with a large pool for $369k.
Shadow Ridge High has a good rating and is well thought of from the people I've heard from as do the elementary schools not to mention you'd be in the county so taxes will be less.

Depending on what house size you need or if you would like some land to maybe have a horse or just have a huge yard you might want to look at the area from Olive to Camelback/303 to Perryville Rd.
Those are all nice areas but getting a bit far as far as access to where the OP's job is going to be (75th Ave & Van Buren). There are some large lot areas just to the east of Verrado (technically in Goodyear, I believe) that might be better options, still with Verrado schools, where access to I-10 and his job would be easier.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 PM

Could utilize the northern parkway/northern/Glendale/camelback or a combination thereof to get to the 101. You should be able to cover the distance between the 303 and 101 within 15 minutes

Would come down to commute tolerance, but probably not much different in normal commuting hours given that the 10 grinds before 75th and the 101 interchange backs up for reasons unknown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area