Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area has better apartment housing stock?
Downtown and Uptown Phoenix 5 45.45%
South Scottsdale and North Tempe 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,757,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
SF is absolutely the worst (by far) and not something to compare to at all. I used to go there at least once a year for PCBC and it was like playing hopscotch trying to get around the homeless and human waste on the streets. Beautiful town otherwise however.
Yeah, I made the mistake of staying near the tenderloin district on one of my first trips there, I actually had to step over needles laying in the street, that was a first for me.

Agreed it is a nice town, not for me to live in though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
My vote goes to Tempe.

Tempe has better public transportation than either of the other two. The crowd leans college, but is also fairly diverse. Tempe is more fun and the entertainment is in one condensed spot. Scottsdale has pockets of entertainment, but it's just not my crowd. And Phoenix has pockets of entertainment, but the spaces between the pockets can be dicey sometimes at night.

Everybody, including me, loves what has happened to Phoenix recently. But right now? I'd still go with Tempe.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,757,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Driving along Roosevelt the other day was astonishing. I saw at least 3 new developments. They look like the typical generic urban apartments, but theyre still cool to see going up.
You bring up a really good point that that the OP should think about when considering the answers to this poll, at the pace downtown is changing most people probably haven't seen it recently. The change is almost noticeable from week to week as new places open and new residents arrive.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,853,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You bring up a really good point that that the OP should think about when considering the answers to this poll, at the pace downtown is changing most people probably haven't seen it recently. The change is almost noticeable from week to week as new places open and new residents arrive.
Well I would say South Scottsdale/North Tempe is also changing just as much.

I should say though, the new apartments in DT are comparable, rent wise, to the new apartments in South Scottsdale/Tempe. Until you get to Old Town and Fashion Square, it's easily a couple hundred extra a month there.

I think the total downside to both areas is that the average 1 bedroom (or studio of living size which to me is around 500-600 square feet) is $1200/month from what I've seen. When you look further out of town you don't get much of a bargain either. However if you get a roommate you can easily drop rents in these areas to around 600-900 month, which is better savings than nothing.

They should work on building affordable apartments in Downtown and Tempe (it'll never happen in Scottsdale) which will attract more people. Downtown in particular I feel could be revitalized with the young crowd, who still prefers nightlife at Old Town over Mill and everything else. I'm personally not a fan of Mill but, to each their own right?

But people my age (early 20s) are not interested in Downtown for one reason or another. Not sure why.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,513,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
My vote goes to Tempe.

Tempe has better public transportation than either of the other two. The crowd leans college, but is also fairly diverse. Tempe is more fun and the entertainment is in one condensed spot. Scottsdale has pockets of entertainment, but it's just not my crowd. And Phoenix has pockets of entertainment, but the spaces between the pockets can be dicey sometimes at night.

Everybody, including me, loves what has happened to Phoenix recently. But right now? I'd still go with Tempe.
I agree but Tempe can be dicey at times too.

Crime tends to be high in northern Tempe because of the college crowd and nightlife, and there are a lot of pushy panhandlers in the Mill district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area