Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:49 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,276,825 times

Advertisements

Since it's story time, here's one. Guy gets a red light camera ticket in the mail. Doesn't remember ever seeing a "red light camera ahead" warning sign, which is required by the laws in his state, so he looks at the intersection on Google Earth and sure enough, there's the sign.

Story takes an interesting turn. He looks at his dashcam footage, backs up from the point he sailed through the red light and sees a big truck blocking the sign!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:52 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,589,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bunch of good citizens here.
Salt of the earth...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...story,amp.html

Hundreds of millions of dollars in fines, Manila envelopes stuffed with cash changing hands at a deli like something out of "The Sopranos", free condo's for the "bagman"..

Lol, and yet we're supposed to believe that no one in Arizona got an envelope stuffed with cash for a favorable vote. Yup.. Sure.

The only way to drain this particular swamp is to take away their toys.

If the people want speed traps, they can do them the old fashioned way, like many hick towns across the country still do. Real cops, hiding behind billboards, at the bottoms of big hills, or sitting next to a 25mph sign on a six-lane highway.

There's a city not far from my old hometown that has 3000 residents & writes 15,000 tickets a year the old fashioned way. If you like your speed traps & cops pulling people over for "suspicion of bald tires", you can *keep* your speed traps & "Boss Hogg" style policing..

If corporations are "people", as our Supreme Court has stated, then it may be time to institute a corporate "death penalty" for those corporations- "people" that abuse the public & openly flout our laws for profit. No better way to ensure the public is protected from institutional graft than by emptying a few stockholder's pockets. Hire executives that will obey the law, or lose your investment.

Last edited by Zippyman; 02-22-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,846,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I have total respect for "the law" - but I have no respect at *all* for for-profit thieves like the company in Scottsdale that has been caught multiple times across the country "tweaking" yellow lights to be shorter than is safe, or legally allowed, nor do I have any respect for kangaroo courts rubber-stamping traffic tickets as a source of revenue. In my old hometown, all traffic fines went to the library, so there was no incentive for cops to testi-lie & no for-profit company taking in millions from fraudulent tickets.

And, if that sounds like sour grapes, it isn't- haven't had a ticket in 15+ years. Part of that strategy is avoiding travel through cities like Scottsdale & Prescott valley entirely, whenever possible.

Prescott Valley is where I got my one and only 'on camera' ticket. Speeding. And I was but, in my defense, I had just come from a 45 MPH road and didn't even see a sign for 35. Also, I admit, I was busy gawking because it had been a long time since I'd been on that road and was checking out all the changes. So, I got a $189 ticket. I paid it. If I hadn't I'd probably still be looking over my shoulder today! lol I think they have since removed that camera. Oh, and I haven't driven on that road since either.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,879,235 times
as always, just because you dont like a law, does that mean you dont have to obey it?
if you dont like it, get it changed; if not, pay your fine, or do the time..

Amazing how suddenly so many folks in the country think its ok to ignore all sorts of laws if they dont agree with it..is that what America is moving towards?

Speed cameras suck, no doubt, but if you dont want to get a ticket, then dont speed..is THAT so hard to understand?

"don't do the crime if you cant do the time"..

Old 02-22-2017, 02:50 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,213,702 times
Once again it is coming to a vote to remove these cameras:

Could lawmakers completely put the brakes on photo radar and red light cameras? | 12NEWS.com

My issue is taking out the human factor. Let's say I am driving and the light changes yellow ahead of me. I have the capacity to make the decision of which is safer; to stop or to continue through the intersection. It's not always black or white or a question of to break the law or not, but what is safer for the situation. A camera can't make that determination the way a human witness could.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM

5,552 posts, read 4,504,772 times
Just throw it away. Nothing will come of it.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:27 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,589,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
as always, just because you dont like a law, does that mean you dont have to obey it?
if you dont like it, get it changed; if not, pay your fine, or do the time..

Amazing how suddenly so many folks in the country think its ok to ignore all sorts of laws if they dont agree with it..is that what America is moving towards?

Speed cameras suck, no doubt, but if you dont want to get a ticket, then dont speed..is THAT so hard to understand?

"don't do the crime if you cant do the time"..
Oh - so the right thing to do is petition our government (the guys getting handed Manila envelopes stuffed with cash) to eliminate cameras? Hmmmmm - "will of the people, or envelopes stuffed with cash?" Which do you think our legislators will choose? Or, more appropriately- which one did they choose ten years ago, when the bribes started flowing?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:34 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,674,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
They can't touch your license because it isn't a government agency, its a business.
That's shady! A private contractor working with the city?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,879,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Oh - so the right thing to do is petition our government (the guys getting handed Manila envelopes stuffed with cash) to eliminate cameras? Hmmmmm - "will of the people, or envelopes stuffed with cash?" Which do you think our legislators will choose? Or, more appropriately- which one did they choose ten years ago, when the bribes started flowing?
vote them out of office, and/or expose their crooked activities if they are that corrupt..

2 wrongs don't make a right..

also, isnt there a process out there where you can contest these things, for any reason?

Even here in crooked chicago/illinois, arguably the most crooked and corrupt city/state in the country,(outside of New Jersey) there is a process to contest a ticket, and more often than not you get off without any sort of fine..

Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,535,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
vote them out of office, and/or expose their crooked activities if they are that corrupt..

2 wrongs don't make a right..

also, isnt there a process out there where you can contest these things, for any reason?

Even here in crooked chicago/illinois, arguably the most crooked and corrupt city/state in the country,(outside of New Jersey) there is a process to contest a ticket, and more often than not you get off without any sort of fine..
There's nothing to contest. It's not a real ticket. Due process is a funny thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area