Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:48 AM

22 posts, read 37,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
All the various apartments I've visited before moving all required some proof of income before they were able to offer me a lease. Income meaning either a job offer letter with an annual income of 2.5 - 3x the rent or enough savings in the bank. "Enough" will depend on the apartment complex.

Phoenix the city itself leans Democratic along with Tempe and quite a sizable part of the West Valley, so I would think those locations are the most gay friendly. Though I haven't really seen any sightings of being obviously "gay friendly" like say San Francisco. Most of the suburbs other than that, especially the East Valley leans conservative and in my case, Gilbert, it's basically stupidly conservative and I'm pretty sure they hate gays cause it's "against Gods will" types given it's a town full of Mormons.

In general, if you're gay, don't promote it, just stick to yourself and your values, but do vote. There is a Democratic minority in Phoenix and if you've been following the news, they're really getting energized here in the Valley due to Trump. Best wishes.
I wouldn't advertise it but by looking at me, it is fairly easy to assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 AM

How do you find a job while you're living somewhere else? I did a job transfer via over-the-phone interview withi my company. I doubt I'd be able to do an over the phone interview. Would I have to visit Phoenix for a time and go to many job interviews and find a job there before moving? How does that work? I wish my company had a joint venture in AZ.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2spirals View Post
How do you find a job while you're living somewhere else? I did a job transfer via over-the-phone interview withi my company. I doubt I'd be able to do an over the phone interview. Would I have to visit Phoenix for a time and go to many job interviews and find a job there before moving? How does that work? I wish my company had a joint venture in AZ.
Some companies do interviews via Skype, some do phone interviews. But mostly I think you will need to be here.

I missed what line of work you are in, but don't forget to reach out to temp agencies. I sent out my info to several and had interviews with them lined up the week after I arrived.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,820,122 times
Quote:
I'm originally from California (LA). Basically I just sent my resume everywhere and did quite a few phone interviews. Nobody flew me into Phoenix to do an in-person interview but I still landed the job offer with relocation assistance without an in-person interview. So it definitely is possible to land a job as all I did was to show that I was serious about relocating and prove I was valuable to the company.

Granted though, every industry is different. At the time I was finishing grad school and having a MS in engineering might have helped at the time. Every employer is different so I couldn't say precisely what you would have to do to land a job. But since I was in CA at the time, even if I had to go for an in person interview, I could easily fly in and out.

If you do have to come into town for an interview, make sure to get a few apartments on your list ready to check out and get a feel for the area to see if you like it. Make the time worth it. Best of luck.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 AM

849 posts, read 972,926 times
I moved from Silicon Valley. I had heard that employers (anywhere) prioritize out-of-area resumes to a very low position on the list. I was just applying to jobs online anyway and seeing what happened (software development). Interview was over the phone, various exchanges through email, and some "let's see how you answer" questions to fill out and email back. I told them I could move myself out. Once I got there, I could see that it would not have worked out otherwise (small company, doesn't seem to be doing too hot now). For the apartment, I told them via email what the monthly salary was going to be and included my employer's phone number, and they called to verify (I told him to expect such a call).

Every place I applied to had full knowledge that I was out of state, so I didn't have to worry about what to do when an in-person interview was requested if I did what some people do where they list a friend/relative/whatever's local address to prevent their resume being tossed out.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I just had to pay 2 months in advance when I moved here without a job, to an apartment sight unseen. They didn't care about my job status or my bank account otherwise.
And where did you move? This sounds like a good place for us to start with...

Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 AM

So let's get this straight. If I could get an apartment sight unseeen by perhaps paying in advance, we could get an apartment. And putting out our resumes like crazy and calling and going crazy trying to find a job while out of state might work. I found a lot of jobs on indeed for both me and my mate's industries. I also heard temp agencies will help you out real well trying to find work for you.

Is this correct?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
And where did you move? This sounds like a good place for us to start with...
It was a very small locally owned apartment complex that was found on Craig's List (less than 20 units). last I checked they have no vacancies.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
So let's get this straight. If I could get an apartment sight unseeen by perhaps paying in advance, we could get an apartment. And putting out our resumes like crazy and calling and going crazy trying to find a job while out of state might work. I found a lot of jobs on indeed for both me and my mate's industries. I also heard temp agencies will help you out real well trying to find work for you.

Is this correct?
yes, that is why I mentioned above to make sure you contact temp agencies. They cost you nothing and there is no limit to how many agencies you can have looking for jobs on your behalf. Depending on your line of work, you may be able to find something right away while you keep looking for something else. The plus side is, they are temp jobs, so if you quit, they don't ding you on your resume.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM

13 posts, read 18,737 times
My husband and I are transplants from Michigan. Been here three years and love it. We cut back on all of our expenses for about six months and saved more before we moved. I secured a job here while still in Michigan, (hubby still worked while there) and I moved here first. I was able to secure a lease in a nice apartment just by providing my job offer letter. My husband then moved here about three months later and then he got a job. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area