Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It's the same as any other deli. But the meat is sliced thicker.
Haha, I wasn't trying to make a joke I just have never heard of a "gay deli". As far as I know there's not such a thing as gay cuisine. I've heard of Jewish Delis, Cuban, Italian, etc but what is a gay deli? It's like saying someone is opening a brunette hair color deli. Only thing I can think of is that they want to exclude heterosexuals from eating there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 04:05 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Haha, I wasn't trying to make a joke I just have never heard of a "gay deli". As far as I know there's not such a thing as gay cuisine. I've heard of Jewish Delis, Cuban, Italian, etc but what is a gay deli? It's like saying someone is opening a brunette hair color deli. Only thing I can think of is that they want to exclude heterosexuals from eating there
Maybe they only serve

Liverwurst
Genoa Salami
Bologna
Turkey

Old 10-16-2019, 10:51 AM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
I lived in Noe Valley next to the Castro in S.F. for several years a long time ago. The Melrose area does not come close. No naked people in the streets and outrageous Halloween celebrations. I have noticed no people on the streets at all. I live in the Camelback East area now and have a transsexual living next door with a constant stream of generous gentleman callers all day long. It's interesting to watch the traffic come and go, so to speak. Some look like confused Mormon boys and others look like every day old geezers like me. I believe that Phoenix has a smattering of gay people everywhere. It's not uncommon to see gay couples in the supermarket and Costco. There is a heavier presence in historic districts and not so much in west Phoenix, and never in Maryvale. Some used to say, "San Francisco is my favorite city...where the women are strong and the men are pretty." Melrose is no gay ghetto.

You are correct, sir. I used to live one block off Castro and Market. Transplant Halloween in the Castro to Phoenix and let's see what happens!

Old 10-16-2019, 12:57 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post

You guys are overthinking (aside from the huge number of potential meat jokes). It was obviously the deli owner floating the idea of promoting itself as "gay" to see if it will increase traffic in this new woke world.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
You guys are overthinking (aside from the huge number of potential meat jokes). It was obviously the deli owner floating the idea of promoting itself as "gay" to see if it will increase traffic in this new woke world.
It's all about having a unique product to market to your clients. Like deer balls... Just make sure they are under a buck. Their deli tag line might be: "Deli Inc: we are hoping for the breast, but preparing for the wurst." JUST kidding!

Old 10-16-2019, 05:33 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,429 times
Why does there have to be a 'gay area' of Phoenix?

Well, let me see.
Since I was the last person in the closet in SF Bay area, as one of the few remaining conservatives (#notYetWoke), would I
have asked 'Where is the conservative area of San Fran' ? Because I want to live surrounded by conservatives in a predominantly liberal area? Uh, no. I think I want to optimize around every other single aspect of life, such as commute, stores/restaurants/services/parks/etc/etc/etc nearby.

By all means fire away with these kinds of questions, but I don't think you want to decide where to live by the answer to your question.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:38 PM

435 posts, read 453,758 times
Phoenix itself is pretty gay

Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Why does there have to be a 'gay area' of Phoenix?

Well, let me see.
Since I was the last person in the closet in SF Bay area, as one of the few remaining conservatives (#notYetWoke), would I
have asked 'Where is the conservative area of San Fran' ? Because I want to live surrounded by conservatives in a predominantly liberal area? Uh, no. I think I want to optimize around every other single aspect of life, such as commute, stores/restaurants/services/parks/etc/etc/etc nearby.

By all means fire away with these kinds of questions, but I don't think you want to decide where to live by the answer to your question.
That’s a terrible analogy. Asking where the conservative areas of San Francisco are would have likely yielded nothing. On the contrary, Phoenix has a fairly large gay community. What’s the problem?

Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Having an area that is gay friendly is fine, so those residents that are gay can go out without feeling judged or discriminated against. People in that group may feel more comfortable living there, so the question is fine. There's areas that have large populations of Vietnamese, African American, Hispanic, etc where people may feel more comfortable. However, as a realtor, I can't answer any questions as to where any of these are

Old 10-17-2019, 12:24 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I wouldn't say Phoenix has an official gay district, although I would agree that Melrose is probably the closest thing we have to an unofficial gay district with a growing gay population.
Gay districts in big cities have outlived their usefulness as well as Gay bars. I can't remember where I read it, all the Gay bars that have closed up over the years, as 60% of Gay people meet their new partners online.
I'm Gay and haven't been to a Gay bar in 20 years, except in on my trips to Tijuana.

When I lived in Phoenix (1993-1996) the Gay district, then, was the Coronado District. Not sure if that's the case anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area