Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 06:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

When I lived in Phoenix (1993-1996) the Gay district, then, was the Coronado District. Not sure if that's the case anymore.
Just moved out of the Coronado District last year, it's still pretty gay. You should have seen the fireworks on the neighborhood message about one of the gay nightclubs on McDowell. Supposedly has a notorious reputation for drugs and open air sex outside the club. One faction of the neighborhood is sick of picking up needles, used condoms and other party favors out of their front yard every morning. Then one small, but vocal faction was saying we shouldn't marginalize people for expressing themselves. Then their was the faction of gay men that said the club simply confirmed people's worst stereotypes of gay men with their lewd behavior and drug use and the place needs to shut down.

Makes some of the conversations around here seem very sedate. It was crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:54 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That’s a terrible analogy. Asking where the conservative areas of San Francisco are would have likely yielded nothing. On the contrary, Phoenix has a fairly large gay community. What’s the problem?
I think the problem is someone is very uncomfortable with gay people. What else could it be?

Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 AM

4,072 posts, read 5,152,771 times
Quote:
That’s a terrible analogy. Asking where the conservative areas of San Francisco are would have likely yielded nothing. On the contrary, Phoenix has a fairly large gay community. What’s the problem?
I took it as more of a "why does it matter" statement...maybe a bit insensitive in the current climate with the fight for LGBTQ rights...whatever your opinion may be on the subject...but I understand the need/want to look for a neighborhood/area where you feel accepted. Hopefully...it won't matter in the near future.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM

23,226 posts, read 29,066,081 times
^

It already doesn't matter as Gay people are widely accepted everywhere now.

I'm Gay, moved into a 55+ community over a year ago in Tucson, not expecting to meet any Gay people. Surprise! My neighbor in back is Gay and his Gay lover has a separate home one block over. And there 3 Lesbian couples in this community as well.

When I hear Gay friendly, I sometimes have to laugh at that, as not every Gay person is going to be friendly with other Gay people. In Las Vegas, I lived in a 433 unit townhouse complex, and I didn't know it, until months later, my next door neighbors were a Gay male couple, but, for whatever reason, they weren't friendly at all. And then there was much younger Gay male couple, not too far away, and I couldn't even get one hello out of them. My friendliest neighbors were Straight.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
^

It already doesn't matter as Gay people are widely accepted everywhere now.

I'm Gay, moved into a 55+ community over a year ago in Tucson, not expecting to meet any Gay people. Surprise! My neighbor in back is Gay and his Gay lover has a separate home one block over. And there 3 Lesbian couples in this community as well.

When I hear Gay friendly, I sometimes have to laugh at that, as not every Gay person is going to be friendly with other Gay people. In Las Vegas, I lived in a 433 unit townhouse complex, and I didn't know it, until months later, my next door neighbors were a Gay male couple, but, for whatever reason, they weren't friendly at all. And then there was much younger Gay male couple, not too far away, and I couldn't even get one hello out of them. My friendliest neighbors were Straight.
Is this a serious post? LOL, I can’t tell if you’re joking or just being incredibly dense. You don’t honestly believe that ‘gay friendly’ refers to actual friendliness as if someone’s asking if there are gay people that will allow them to borrow a cup of sugar, or smile in passing, etc.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:54 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Is this a serious post? LOL, I can’t tell if you’re joking or just being incredibly dense. You don’t honestly believe that ‘gay friendly’ refers to actual friendliness as if someone’s asking if there are gay people that will allow them to borrow a cup of sugar, or smile in passing, etc.
I knew what tijlover meant. In fact, we live in a 'pet friendly' neighborhood. All the dogs wag their tails non-stop and the cats continuously rub against peoples legs and purr. In our 'pet friendly' neighborhood, even the fish play fetch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxOK-bS4NM

Old 10-18-2019, 08:48 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I took it as more of a "why does it matter" statement...maybe a bit insensitive in the current climate with the fight for LGBTQ rights...whatever your opinion may be on the subject...but I understand the need/want to look for a neighborhood/area where you feel accepted. Hopefully...it won't matter in the near future.
oh cut it out

As a gay man, I would personally not choose where I live based on that. I'd want to live around many types of people. At the same time, are there places less accepting? Sure!! Just don't live in those neighborhoods. It's not like we're setting up a huge rainbow flag in the front with unicorns and rainbows everywhere.

I honestly think the amount of places you would actually face issues are far and few these days

Old 10-18-2019, 09:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
oh cut it out

As a gay man, I would personally not choose where I live based on that. I'd want to live around many types of people. At the same time, are there places less accepting? Sure!! Just don't live in those neighborhoods. It's not like we're setting up a huge rainbow flag in the front with unicorns and rainbows everywhere.

I honestly think the amount of places you would actually face issues are far and few these days
Cut what out? Read the OP. He simply asked where it is, not necessarily because of the need or desire to live there.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 AM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
Phoenix itself is pretty gay
How so?

Old 10-18-2019, 12:46 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
oh cut it out

I think we need more rainbows and unicorns around, personally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area