Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times

Advertisements

And JCPenney has just released the list today. No stores in the Phoenix area will be closing in this round. The only store closing in Arizona in this round is Riverview Mall in Bullhead City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
I don't remember ever going into a JC Penney store. As a kid we had one that anchored a mall at one end and the other end was Sears. We would always go to Sears because they had Craftsmen Tools. As I got older Sears was the store when I wanted something. I never saw anything at a JC Penney that I could not get at a Sears.

Now both are on life support. I don't anyone that even talks about either JCP or Sears. LOL

Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't remember ever going into a JC Penney store. As a kid we had one that anchored a mall at one end and the other end was Sears. We would always go to Sears because they had Craftsmen Tools. As I got older Sears was the store when I wanted something. I never saw anything at a JC Penney that I could not get at a Sears.

Now both are on life support. I don't anyone that even talks about either JCP or Sears. LOL
I shop a lot at JCPenney and Macy's since I buy a lot of IZOD. Not so much at Sears. However, I do also buy from JCPenney.com and Macys.com in addition to their physical stores, and sometimes I do some ship to store orders with JCPenney.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Here is a link with the full list of stores

JCPenney closing 138 stores; See the full list - ABC15 Arizona

Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Here is a link with the full list of stores

JCPenney closing 138 stores; See the full list - ABC15 Arizona

Most of the stores that are closing nationwide are in smaller markets.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:55 PM

249 posts, read 189,275 times
Does anyone really wonder why so many stores are closing and why more people are shopping online?
Go to just about any sizeable retail store and you’ll see empty shelves, products that are supposed to be in stock but aren’t replenished. The Walgreens I sometimes shop at is famous for this, simple everyday items are frequently out of stock.
None of the major department stores including Penney’s carry my exact clothing sizes and the quality isn’t always the best. For me it would be more convenient to go in person and try things on, but when stores don’t carry the things I want or need I’m forced to shop on the internet.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
Does anyone really wonder why so many stores are closing and why more people are shopping online?
Go to just about any sizeable retail store and you’ll see empty shelves, products that are supposed to be in stock but aren’t replenished. The Walgreens I sometimes shop at is famous for this, simple everyday items are frequently out of stock.
None of the major department stores including Penney’s carry my exact clothing sizes and the quality isn’t always the best. For me it would be more convenient to go in person and try things on, but when stores don’t carry the things I want or need I’m forced to shop on the internet.

When department stores were in their heyday, they provided good service. For example, if you needed a suit, you would go to the men's department, talk to a salesman who would actually take your measurements, and help you choose a suit no matter your size. Then, you chose the suit and a tailor would mark up the suit and make the alterations. In a week, you tried the suit on again with the tailor and then would pay for it.

If you wanted to buy fine china, the lady in the china department was knowledgeable about ALL the major brands and could help you out.

I went into Penney's new freestanding store in Algonquin. IL in 2010. There were no employees present in the men's department. All the suits were "separates" meaning that you were guaranteed a suit that did not fit. Alterations .... "well, we don't do that any more."

When Macy's purchased the State Street Marshall Field's store, they ditched the old merchandising which was upscale and brought in a merchandising plan that looked like it was from Walmart.

The LAST time I purchased anything at JC Penney's was when they brought in the Apple guru. I bought three belts that lasted about three wearings each. I ended up buying belts from Walmart that have lasted me two years.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:15 AM

169 posts, read 281,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When department stores were in their heyday, they provided good service. For example, if you needed a suit, you would go to the men's department, talk to a salesman who would actually take your measurements, and help you choose a suit no matter your size. Then, you chose the suit and a tailor would mark up the suit and make the alterations. In a week, you tried the suit on again with the tailor and then would pay for it.

If you wanted to buy fine china, the lady in the china department was knowledgeable about ALL the major brands and could help you out.
This was back when the department store workers had a job for life and the wages could lead to a decent middle class income. Selling suits and fine china was their career. These days the same jobs are filled with kids working part-time to pay their way through college. They don't care about the job and will walk away as soon as a better employment opportunity arises. And who could blame them? It's a minimum wage gig these days. The customer is an inconvenience to them as they count down the seconds on the clock until closing time.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 AM

^^^

The pay back then was also minimal. For most of the women working with my aunt, it was always a supplement to the major wage earners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area