Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,237,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We went boating at Pleasant yesterday. The weather was perfect. Seriously. Perfect. The water was too cold for me but some people were in.
Yesterday was amazing. I spent a good deal of time sunbathing and reading by the pool.

Some friends are in town for a few days from Iowa where it was barely 30 degrees yesterday and a good chance of snow. They were loving the weather here! They picked a perfect time to visit.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I can't wait. The heat drives everyone away from the trails.
I hiked Toms Thumb and the Lookout Trail yesterday, and literally waited until 1PM to drive up there, hoping the crowds wouldn't be bad. I was wrong. HUNDREDS of people were out hiking.

I had planned on just hiking to Toms Thumb to watch the nesting birds of prey (they've blocked off the north face of the mountain climbing area for the birds), but ended up going another mile on the Lookout Trail just to get away from the hoardes of loud hikers. I was able to finally find some solitude that way.

On a side note... on the way down, I literally had to stop an older couple (easily well into their 60s) who were huffing and puffing their way up. It was 4PM at this point, and they were maybe an 1/8th of the way up. They only had ONE bottle of water between them (!!!!) and the guy was literally having to help his wife on the ascent. I asked them if they planned to go all the way up, and they said "yes". I strongly advised that they turn around there, but they seemed reluctant and were intent on continuing. I'm 100% positive neither of them even had the strength to make it to the summit anyhow. Be my guest! Get stuck in the dark, get dehydrated, need an airlift, have your car locked in the park and ticketed by the SPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,237,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I hiked Toms Thumb and the Lookout Trail yesterday, and literally waited until 1PM to drive up there, hoping the crowds wouldn't be bad. I was wrong. HUNDREDS of people were out hiking.

This is definitely the busiest for everything in the valley right now with spring break, spring training, the tail end of snowbird season, and perfect weather. Every place I went on Saturday in general was crowded. After this month, they all leave!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This is definitely the busiest for everything in the valley right now with spring break, spring training, the tail end of snowbird season, and perfect weather. Every place I went on Saturday in general was crowded. After this month, they all leave!
I could see the trails being crowded in the early morning, that's why I waited til it was close to 90 degrees. Normally the lots are rather clear by then, but not yesterday.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,698,820 times
Quote:
I could see the trails being crowded in the early morning, that's why I waited til it was close to 90 degrees. Normally the lots are rather clear by then, but not yesterday.
Yeah same story at south mountain, I was out well into the afternoon and ran into lots of tourists who had no idea where they were going. 90 in this dry time isn't enough to keep most of us indoors, especially if you're visiting and only have a few days to go explore. When it was 90+ out east it usually meant pretty oppressive humidity so my hiking/cycling plans were usually cut short.

I also went to Phoenix Mountain Preserve yesterday afternoon and it was still really busy, with the full moon there were a lot of hikers getting started after sunset. I can't say I blame them the 4pm on it was absolutely perfect out.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,358,330 times
Quote:

I had planned on just hiking to Toms Thumb to watch the nesting birds of prey (they've blocked off the north face of the mountain climbing area for the birds), but ended up going another mile on the Lookout Trail just to get away from the hoardes of loud hikers. I was able to finally find some solitude that way.

On a side note... on the way down, I literally had to stop an older couple (easily well into their 60s) who were huffing and puffing their way up. It was 4PM at this point, and they were maybe an 1/8th of the way up. They only had ONE bottle of water between them (!!!!) and the guy was literally having to help his wife on the ascent. I asked them if they planned to go all the way up, and they said "yes". I strongly advised that they turn around there, but they seemed reluctant and were intent on continuing. I'm 100% positive neither of them even had the strength to make it to the summit anyhow. Be my guest! Get stuck in the dark, get dehydrated, need an airlift, have your car locked in the park and ticketed by the SPD.
Good for you CATS for trying to warn them.

I don't understand people who don't bring enough water. Is it really that awful to bring a backpack? I just don't get it.

I don't think I've ever come back from a hike having actually drank all my water and I always pack some granola bars or other food just in case. My mindset is, if I were to run out, then I didn't bring enough. Better safe than sorry.

I guess we can't be a nanny state but I personally think a lot of the people out there hiking are underprepared or wholly unprepared. If we were a nanny state I'd say to station volunteers at the popular trailheads on weekends like the last one to check everyone's gear and make sure they know what they're getting into.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah same story at south mountain, I was out well into the afternoon and ran into lots of tourists who had no idea where they were going. 90 in this dry time isn't enough to keep most of us indoors, especially if you're visiting and only have a few days to go explore. When it was 90+ out east it usually meant pretty oppressive humidity so my hiking/cycling plans were usually cut short.

I also went to Phoenix Mountain Preserve yesterday afternoon and it was still really busy, with the full moon there were a lot of hikers getting started after sunset. I can't say I blame them the 4pm on it was absolutely perfect out.
The moon was beautiful just as it crested the McDowells! Big and orange as could be. My cell phone couldn't capture it properly, though.

And anyone who heads out at dusk this time of year is just asking for a rattler encounter, especially in the Phoenix Mountains. Ive seen so many back in there, literally right on the trail. The last was a HUGE orange phase tiger rattler, literally right on the trail (at the junction of the 101 Trail and the trail that heads up Twobit Peak).

And the parking situation during winter there (off 40th St) is maddening. Every time I go, I end up having to park along 40th St, quite a ways down. My car is lowered, too, and the drop off on the northbound side of the street is too big, so I cant park there. I'm not destroying my oil pan over a parking spot. Ive even seen people almost come to fist fights as they circle round and round in that lot looking for a spot. Just a few weeks ago I saw a guy in a Honda Pilot and a guy in an F-150 literally race side-by-side through the lot for a spot. The guy in the Pilot rounded the corner near the horse trailer lot and got out and got in the guy's face.

Last edited by BIG CATS; 03-13-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Good for you CATS for trying to warn them.

I don't understand people who don't bring enough water. Is it really that awful to bring a backpack? I just don't get it.

I don't think I've ever come back from a hike having actually drank all my water and I always pack some granola bars or other food just in case. My mindset is, if I were to run out, then I didn't bring enough. Better safe than sorry.

I guess we can't be a nanny state but I personally think a lot of the people out there hiking are underprepared or wholly unprepared. If we were a nanny state I'd say to station volunteers at the popular trailheads on weekends like the last one to check everyone's gear and make sure they know what they're getting into.
The couple also admitted it was their first hike.

I think they were here for Spring Training or something. Either way, they could've been on the roster of annual unprepared hiker casualties. I just don't understand what would possess someone of their stature to attempt a 4 diamond-rated trail, at near-dusk, in 90 degree heat, with one bottle of Vitamin Water to share between them. Do people not have common sense any more? I just don't get it.

I bring a Camelback full of water (96oz), and have gotten close to running out only once (Sunrise Trail in the McDowells - 9 mile round trip). Just once. As you said, its better to prepare. Think of the "what if's" and prepare! Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:04 PM

768 posts, read 827,784 times
My favorite part about the warmer weather is the return of the bats. I love going out at Dusk and watching them come out from people's attics and walking the dog to the western canal and watching them fly out from under the bridge.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,482,137 times
Officially 90° at Sky Harbor right now, first of 2017, and first since November 8th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area