Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,798 times

Advertisements

So, native Texan here! My town was hit hard by hurricane Harvey, and my house was spared. I took this as an opportunity to sell my house at a premium price and get away from hurricanes/go see something new. I wanted to go somewhere with a nice outdoor culture! I'm into hiking, biking, kayaking, burning (spinning fire poi), martial arts, and acro yoga/ yoga (I'm a 200 hour certified yoga instructor...).

So, I just accepted a job at Paideia Academy in South Phoenix. I don't know anything about the area.

These are the things I want to know:

Where is a good place to find rentals (house/duplex/apartment/whatever)? These are the things I care about: affordability and safety.

Where are the best "outdoor scenes"?

Yoga studios? Martial Arts schools?

Is there a burner community?

Any additional information about where to live or what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 08:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
That neighborhood is actually South Mountain (south of Baseline Rd). South Mountain is a pretty nice neighborhood, and there are a couple good apartment complexes along Baseline Rd you could choose.

Traditional "South Phoenix" is what's know in "the hood" as "Baseline to Broadway"= or Baseline Rd to the south, Broadway Rd (or the Salt River to the north), 19th Ave to the West and 48th St to the east. This "South Phoenix" is one of our worst areas. It changes remarkably (for the better) south of Baseline, and north of Baseline up a 1/2 mile to Vineyard is a transition zone, but Vineyard up to the River is all bad

Old 03-04-2018, 03:10 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
That area still isn't the best as far as living. Lots of vacant lots within mediocre neighborhoods that will probably never be developed because they're not highly in demand. I would suggest Ahwatukee/Ahwatukee Foothills long before I'd recommend anything in the south Phoenix/South Mountain area. Ahwatukee is still decent despite showing its age, and the commute shouldn't be too bad length wise, but might be congested during rush hour.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
I live a block away from Paideia. I've been in the same house for 13 years and I can honestly say I've never had an issue with crime or safety. South Mountain park is very close which offers miles of great hiking and biking. Lee's ATA Martial Arts is a few miles west down Baseline Rd. I don't go there but I've heard great things. If you have any questions about specific neighborhoods in the area or apartments feel free to message me.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 PM

262 posts, read 202,462 times
I rented a room for a few months off of Baseline between 16th and 24th st.

The area has developed a lot over the years to attract more people.

The room I rented was in a VERY nice house in a gated community.
I don't know if anything in South Phoenix is even close as nice as some of the South Mountain developments.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:26 AM

872 posts, read 999,916 times
Honestly, after physically driving around and viewing crime data, Mesa (West, mostly near Fiesta/Downtown) and Maryvale and along the I17 from Indian School to Northern are the worst places. South Phoenix to me, seemed very rural and spaced out. West Phoenix is more dense and run down.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Honestly, after physically driving around and viewing crime data, Mesa (West, mostly near Fiesta/Downtown) and Maryvale and along the I17 from Indian School to Northern are the worst places. South Phoenix to me, seemed very rural and spaced out. West Phoenix is more dense and run down.
Some parts of south Phoenix seem like they're very rural, such as along Dobbins Road, and anywhere near the base of South Mountain. Some of the older, not so nice areas in south Phoenix have improved, but they're still within close proximity of run down neighborhoods. I personally would not live in south Phoenix for anything, nor just about anywhere in west Phoenix because of the sketchiness.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
The south side of South Mountain is a VERY nice area. Look apartments on Chandler Blvd and Ray Rd, west of I-10, and various streets connecting Chandler and Ray. Lots of nice complexes and one of the prettiest parts of PHX.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:22 AM

262 posts, read 202,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
The south side of South Mountain is a VERY nice area. Look apartments on Chandler Blvd and Ray Rd, west of I-10, and various streets connecting Chandler and Ray. Lots of nice complexes and one of the prettiest parts of PHX.
My coworker lives in Ahwatukee and I love the face he makes when we say he lives in “South Phoenix on the other side of the mountain “
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area