Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 PM

61 posts, read 191,161 times

Advertisements

So reaching out for some advice here.

Sunday morning waiting to exit a parking lot in Tempe, the car in front of me reverses and crashes in to me.

The other driver apologized profusely and we exchanged name, number. I took pictures of him and his car registration. He took pictures and promised to and call me today after work with further info on repairs. He could not reach his agent at the scene of the crash.

I called the cops at the scene of, but they said since it was in parking lot, they would not come out and just to get the other drivers info and settle with his insurance. Pretty much what my insurance told me as well.

Well, today has come and gone and no phone call. I called him a couple of hours ago and it went to voicemail.

I'm beginning to get worried here and wondering what my best moves going forward should be. The damage to my car is not major, largely cosmetic, I suspect but still substantial. Just wanted to reach out to the collective experience here...

I know... dash cam... this morning, I took the one I bought last Christmas and finally installed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,029,859 times
Contact your insurance company and provide them with the information provided to you? Contact a lawyer to explore other legal options? Maybe give the person time to call back. I don't answer any unknown numbers but will reach out if a message is left.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,997,775 times
You took pictures and have his name. He blows you off, file an action so he tenders his insurance.

You could, alternatively, hire a lawyer and have him write a threatening letter.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,615,473 times
Did you get his insurance information? You should call your insurance and let them handle it with his company. That's what you pay them for.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 PM

huh, my reply did not go through...

I did not get his insurance information. He just said he was with Farmers and could not reach his agent to give me the info.

I'll be calling my insurance tomorrow, didnt do anything today as I was expecting him to call. He seemed liked a decent bloke...

"file an action", is that through a lawyer? or what exactly does that mean...

thanks guys

Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,997,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealyak View Post
huh, my reply did not go through...

I did not get his insurance information. He just said he was with Farmers and could not reach his agent to give me the info.

I'll be calling my insurance tomorrow, didnt do anything today as I was expecting him to call. He seemed liked a decent bloke...

"file an action", is that through a lawyer? or what exactly does that mean...

thanks guys
Either tell your insurer and they'll find him, or file a complaint and summons in court and serve him. Either will get the ball rolling.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:41 AM

14,038 posts, read 8,192,371 times
You got photos of the accident and his license/registration information.

Call your insurance and explain what happened.

When it comes to money all bets are off. The fact he won't return your call tell you all you need to know.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:06 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,375,254 times
What was the value of their car? Was it a newer car where it seems likely they would have had insurance? For your sake I hope so.

Unfortunately if they were uninsured, most uninsured drivers don't seem to have any money anyway so if you get a judgment against them, good luck collecting it.

Talk to your insurance, maybe it depends on your policy but I know my insurance sold me some kind of rider to protect against uninsured/underinsured motorists since there are so many of them in Arizona. So there's a chance you may be covered anyway, but it depends on your deductible and the repair costs of course.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,191,606 times
You were in a parking lot, technically that is a "no fault". Get a hold of your insurance company and let them deal with it. That is what you pay them for.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Its true about people though, when it comes to money... just disappointing.

I see, so even though AZ is a at fault state, a parking lot makes it no fault. I wonder if it will increase my premiums even though its not my fault.

The other car was a new Hyundai SUV, definitely seemed like he had insurance. I'm going in to make a police report right now and will then talk to my insurance and see what they advise. Also getting an estimate so I know how much time I want to sink into this.

When I called them from the scene, they were quite dismissive and said I should deal with the other guys insurance.

I'll update, end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area