Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,259 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Just joined the forum this morning so hello!

I'm a California resident (Palm Desert) and I am planning to move to the Phoenix area.

I'm driving out tomorrow to look around for right area and would love some input on some areas to check out.

So here is me in a nutshell:

- Young 52 year-old single male who owns his own business (online).

- Going to rent an apartment first (see how PHX agrees with me).

- Very social...like to go out and have a good time, date, etc...but looking to settle down once I meet someone.

- Are there any particular areas that have a lot of business action going (meetup etc....). Networking will be a big priority too.

The areas I've considered:

- Scottsdale
- Mesa/Tempe
- Fountain Hills (prob too suburby and too out of the way but hear the views are great.

Heat is NOT a concern....obviously.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethholland View Post
Hello All,

Just joined the forum this morning so hello!

I'm a California resident (Palm Desert) and I am planning to move to the Phoenix area.

I'm driving out tomorrow to look around for right area and would love some input on some areas to check out.

So here is me in a nutshell:

- Young 52 year-old single male who owns his own business (online).

- Going to rent an apartment first (see how PHX agrees with me).

- Very social...like to go out and have a good time, date, etc...but looking to settle down once I meet someone.

- Are there any particular areas that have a lot of business action going (meetup etc....). Networking will be a big priority too.

The areas I've considered:

- Scottsdale
- Mesa/Tempe
- Fountain Hills (prob too suburby and too out of the way but hear the views are great.

Heat is NOT a concern....obviously.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken

I would not choose Fountain Hills. It's a fine place, but you will be doing a lot of driving unless you are content with local establishments for having a good time. Scottsdale or midtown/downtown Phoenix are better choices. Tempe is a great place to live, too (I live there) because there are places to go have fun there (away from the college crowd) and how easy it is to get to other areas of the Valley (Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix).

Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would not choose Fountain Hills. It's a fine place, but you will be doing a lot of driving unless you are content with local establishments for having a good time. Scottsdale or midtown/downtown Phoenix are better choices. Tempe is a great place to live, too (I live there) because there are places to go have fun there (away from the college crowd) and how easy it is to get to other areas of the Valley (Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix).
Hey thanks for responding. Yeah...I figured that about FH. Another person likes Tempe too. Any particular sector of Tempe you'd recommend?

Ken

Old 04-12-2017, 03:14 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,388,560 times
Mesa covers a fairly large amount of area. Much of the better parts of Mesa are in the eastern parts of the city which could be a long commute for you.

For Tempe, the safest part is south Tempe near the Chandler border.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:25 PM

19,460 posts, read 27,942,042 times
I lived in East Mesa and liked it. But would not recommend it to you for the same reasons that people are suggesting you not consider FH.

I'm less enthusiastic about Tempe for a 50-something year old single guy, who want to network and socialize. I'd go with Scottsdale, particularly downtown Scottsdale. I'd also look at the Biltmore area.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times
Downtown/Old Town Scottsdale for sure. Probably the biggest social scene in the valley for the 40-60 year old crowd.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,744,307 times
Downtown Scottsdale, Biltmore area and possibly downtown Phoenix.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Awesome! Thanks everyone for your input. This really helps!!

Ken

Old 04-14-2017, 06:20 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Downtown/Old Town Scottsdale for sure. Probably the biggest social scene in the valley for the 40-60 year old crowd.
x2

Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethholland View Post
Hey thanks for responding. Yeah...I figured that about FH. Another person likes Tempe too. Any particular sector of Tempe you'd recommend?

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Mesa covers a fairly large amount of area. Much of the better parts of Mesa are in the eastern parts of the city which could be a long commute for you.

For Tempe, the safest part is south Tempe near the Chandler border.

Most of Tempe is safe, to the extent that anywhere is safe. I would avoid the area around the University due to higher property crime and because you really don't want or need to be living in primarily student areas. South of Southern, you hardly know the University is there. Although there are some nice neighborhoods to the north, the further south of Baseline you get, the nicer it gets. You don't have to be near the Chandler border, but it's definitely nice there.

Agree with the suggestions about Old Town Scottsdale, Biltmore in Phoenix, and downtown (or midtown) Phoenix. You really have some good choices. Time to come for a visit and look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area