Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times

Advertisements

It's objectively hot and anybody who says otherwise is kidding themselves. That said, I like Summer here.

You'll be in for a shock, our heat is unlike anywhere else. It's dry and stale like an oven. You can feel your bones warm up and your car will have surfaces that will burn you (metal ones).

I know I make it sound bad, it's not though. Less people, more stuff to do. And it's not cold! Which I hate.

Tucson is about 5-10 degrees cooler at all times, more humid, and gets more afternoon storms. Sometimes they're just lightning shows which are awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 AM

226 posts, read 227,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

I was born and raised in Arizona. Then I lived in Florida for over 13 years - mostly in Tallahassee with a year in Fort Lauderdale. I still feel the dry heat at its maximum is worse than the humid heat of Florida. But the "dry heat of July" in Phoenix can be dealt with as described above: restrict outside activities to early morning or late evening.
I feel it is the exact opposite. Humid heat is almost unbearable. I'll take a 118' day here over a 95' day in Florida, hands down. You don't sweat in Arizona heat like you do in Florida heat.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM

594 posts, read 698,211 times
Bertrand Berry the radio host on ESPN said it best..." you can count on one hand the places in America that's comfortable in the summer "

I thought about that and he's right.
When I lived on the east coast, midwest and south, the humidity combined with the heat made summers absolutely miserable.
The only part I enjoyed about those summers was the fact it wasn't cold and snowing.
I think a lot of people who've relocated to the Valley understand all summers are hot and mandatory, but for a few degrees hotter, and I can have 9 months of perfection, this oven is a sanctuary !

Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
I feel it is the exact opposite. Humid heat is almost unbearable. I'll take a 118' day here over a 95' day in Florida, hands down. You don't sweat in Arizona heat like you do in Florida heat.
Both are equally sucky, and you sweat equally bad, too. The only difference is that you dry off quicker here. Ive been in Tampa when it was 90 and super humid, and of course been here when it was 118, and both suck!!! The only good thing about FL's weather is that it cools off decently at night, versus here where it can be over 100 degrees late at night.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Luckily it very rarely hits 118, even 110 days are what 20 or so per year?

Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 PM

94 posts, read 119,571 times
I like to run in the heat- but I am a little crazy.. lol

Old 04-22-2017, 10:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
My in-laws came one time in August to visit and swore they would never do it again. They spent the whole week they were here talking about and complaining about the heat. They didn't like being cooped up indoors 24/7.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
My in-laws came one time in August to visit and swore they would never do it again. They spent the whole week they were here talking about and complaining about the heat. They didn't like being cooped up indoors 24/7.
Silly in-laws, the pools are perfect in august as are the museums, movies, art galleries, d'baks games, water parks, and 90-120 minute road trips to cooler climates. Being cooped up is nobody's fault but the person who chose to do so.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Bertrand Berry the radio host on ESPN said it best..." you can count on one hand the places in America that's comfortable in the summer "

I thought about that and he's right.
When I lived on the east coast, midwest and south, the humidity combined with the heat made summers absolutely miserable.
The only part I enjoyed about those summers was the fact it wasn't cold and snowing.
I think a lot of people who've relocated to the Valley understand all summers are hot and mandatory, but for a few degrees hotter, and I can have 9 months of perfection, this oven is a sanctuary !
True, we visit family and friends out east every summer and sweat when we're out there just like we do when we're here.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:00 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
What about the mailman in PHX? They have no AC in the vehicle, I use to be one in WA State.

Don't they deliver on foot in the daytime? How do they not drop dead in the daytime doing it?

I remember once its in the 70s in that mail truck its cooking inside and I was sweating. Think about it the 70s!! I can't imagine the 100s being in that car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area