Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:18 PM

929 posts, read 1,071,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingCA2016 View Post
You could honestly have been describing LA or OC. Our public transportation is a joke, hence the insane traffic. There is so much sprawl here that you could spend hours trying to cobble together trains and busses combined with a lot of walking, it is inefficient and thus not utilized by "most" middle class people. I've never heard anyone accuse it of being adequate. Especially when they have to live over an hour or more away just to find an area they can afford. Many people cross 2 or 3 county lines to get to work and back.
Have you ever tried Metrolink or LA Metro? It's not the greatest system but beats anything in Phoenix. I live in the IE and take the train 50 minutes to my job. I'm lucky that it works for me. Thousands of people use the trains daily in the LA area and its only getting better. Phoenix has one light rail line that doesn't even reach most suburban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 01:23 PM

70 posts, read 69,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Have you ever tried Metrolink or LA Metro? It's not the greatest system but beats anything in Phoenix. I live in the IE and take the train 50 minutes to my job. I'm lucky that it works for me. Thousands of people use the trains daily in the LA area and its only getting better. Phoenix has one light rail line that doesn't even reach most suburban areas.

No because it is horribly lacking in OC. We have like, what, 4 stations in the whole county, and not one of them is near a major business area. I've taken it, for the fun of riding the "train" down to San Juan for lunch and to visit the Mission, for the kids. It is hardly useful if you live is most of OC and need to commute

Old 04-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Also, I'll take Phoenix traffic over OC/LA any day. My husband used to commute 11 miles and it took about an hour each way, or just shy of it. We actually drove his morning rush hour commute in Phoenix this week and it was less than an hour but 40 miles door to door.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 PM

929 posts, read 1,071,324 times
Quote:
No because it is horribly lacking in OC. We have like, what, 4 stations in the whole county, and not one of them is near a major business area. I've taken it, for the fun of riding the "train" down to San Juan for lunch and to visit the Mission, for the kids. It is hardly useful if you live is most of OC and need to commute
I agree it's mainly for those working in LA or Irvine, It works great if you work in Downtown LA or Wilshire, etc. But I don't understand that Tustin,Irvine, Anaheim, Fullerton are not business areas. Each has a station that is well utilized.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I agree it's mainly for those working in LA or Irvine, It works great if you work in Downtown LA or Wilshire, etc. But I don't understand that Tustin,Irvine, Anaheim, Fullerton are not business areas. Each has a station that is well utilized.

It's just so spread out here, ok the metro stops at the stadium/arena in Anaheim, and there are a few businesses nearby, but the stops are miles and miles apart so that you have a substantial walk or super long unreliable bus ride that still may or May not get you to your block. They aren't useful for the vast vast majority of people here, unless you are lucky enough to work near a station and live near a station (or have one close enough it makes sense to park and ride). There is not one walkable, dense business area with multiple metro stops. And huge concentrated business areas are totally left out, the airport, spectrum, south coast metro area, fashion island, Santa Ana/Orange area, anything up and down PCH or the 405, etc

Old 04-22-2017, 02:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,173,162 times
Quote:
Also, I'll take Phoenix traffic over OC/LA any day. My husband used to commute 11 miles and it took about an hour each way, or just shy of it. We actually drove his morning rush hour commute in Phoenix this week and it was less than an hour but 40 miles door to door.
Just one thing. What you see today in OC/LA is what you are going to see in PHX in 10-20 years. Maybe sooner.

If I move to PHX you'll find me on the east side and I'll probably never travel west farther than downtown, and downtown only if I have to. When I travel it will be mostly up I-17 to the beautiful country I love.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:39 PM

169 posts, read 282,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I heard that in some cities in CA, the HOV lane is reserved for three+ people during rush hour. They could do that here, that would clear up the lane for shuttle vans and transit busses. Plus you have to enforce the rule, 400$ fine like the sign says.
The HOV lanes in Phoenix are a joke. Every morning I sit in traffic watching solo drivers cheating the system driving in the HOV lanes. They then clog the HOV lane for the genuine carpoolers which defeats the whole purpose of it existing in the first place. I wish there was a phone number we could report the license plates of cheaters to. In an ideal world there would be a camera and infra red sensor system that could detect the number of bodies in your vehicle and take a pic of your license plate to send you a fine if you're cheating.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
The HOV lanes in Phoenix are a joke. Every morning I sit in traffic watching solo drivers cheating the system driving in the HOV lanes. They then clog the HOV lane for the genuine carpoolers which defeats the whole purpose of it existing in the first place. I wish there was a phone number we could report the license plates of cheaters to. In an ideal world there would be a camera and infra red sensor system that could detect the number of bodies in your vehicle and take a pic of your license plate to send you a fine if you're cheating.
I believe I said much the same thing earlier in the topic. It's just not practical to police the HOV lanes during periods of congested traffic. Even if you could make a report to the police, the police would have to find them, and in heavy traffic there is no way for them to position a patrol car to pull over the single driver and give them a ticket.

Photo enforcement wouldn't work because there is no way a traffic cam could spot perhaps a baby in a carrier in the back seat.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I believe I said much the same thing earlier in the topic. It's just not practical to police the HOV lanes during periods of congested traffic. Even if you could make a report to the police, the police would have to find them, and in heavy traffic there is no way for them to position a patrol car to pull over the single driver and give them a ticket.

Photo enforcement wouldn't work because there is no way a traffic cam could spot perhaps a baby in a carrier in the back seat.
I see it patrolled pretty heavily by motorcycle cops in the morning. I see at least 4-5 people pulled over every week on I10 for going solo in the HOV lane.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I see it patrolled pretty heavily by motorcycle cops in the morning. I see at least 4-5 people pulled over every week on I10 for going solo in the HOV lane.
Well I'm glad to hear that. I usually manage to avoid commuter hours when I'm in PHX, and when I'm where I want to go I usually hang round the neighborhood, go only a few ramps on the freeway when expedient.

Here in SoCal the freeways are a lot more congested and I see HOV violators all the time. Even when home I try to avoid any freeway trips. I live in a nice area that rarely sees traffic congestion on surface streets, and spend most of my time within a dozen miles from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area