Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:20 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,301,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Question for all you recent PHX transplants...

What color "rock lawn" did you go with? red, tan, multicolor?

What type of thorn-filled trees and bushes did you landscape your yard with?

And what color tan is your house painted?

Enjoy the 115 degree summers, $800 per month AC bills, and being surrounded by dirt and dust.

I'm sure we'll see you again. When you come back to our beach cities on vacation and clog up our freeways even more, park your cars with cactus license plates and take up all our parking, and clog up our restaurants.

I'll be back soon enough, probably buying a house in an area you wish you could afford

BTW I have grass front and back, swimming pool, potted flowers and plants, palm trees, oleander trees, citrus, a meandering covered patio and very little rock. The house is a tone of grey with off white accents and stacked stone. Electric bills have never gone above $550 in the hottest month, for a 3600 SF single level and swimming pool. In the winter it is under $100 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,559 times
Quote:

Enjoy the 115 degree summers, $800 per month AC bills, and being surrounded by dirt and dust.

I'm sure we'll see you again. When you come back to our beach cities on vacation and clog up our freeways even more, park your cars with cactus license plates and take up all our parking, and clog up our restaurants.
I'm glad folks like you want to stay (or are stuck there). I was there for 35 years. I'd had enough. I could come back and visit for months at a time in CA and still be ahead financially so I'm not too worried about "missing" it.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:

Lush green grass.

Palm trees, grass to run and play on, flowers, orange and grapefruit trees.

Light gray.

Never had one over $350.

Cool, save me a spot. See you at Spring Training.
That chill beach vibe seems pretty hostile. Maybe it's not working.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That chill beach vibe seems pretty hostile. Maybe it's not working.
He probably lives in the IE in one of those small two story houses on a 3,000 sf lot and a lovely view of I-10

Old 04-24-2017, 02:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
He probably lives in the IE in one of those small two story houses on a 3,000 sf lot and a lovely view of I-10
I can tell how ecstatic he is by the anger in his post. LOL.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,186,178 times
Quote:

Axxlrod, you are probably not a desert person. And I'll not be surprised if you haven't been to Phoenix. I own houses there and I'll admit to being a desert rat, even coming fully equipped with a 4x4 and a penchant for drifting down vague roads just because I want to know where they go, particularly around the Grand Canyon.

To tell the truth at least from my own POV I think that Phoenix style rock front yards and cactii totally works! If there were only a few houses like that, meh, but my houses are in beautiful neighborhoods and the concept totally works! I'm thinking of my favorite, which has a beautiful saguaro about 20 feet tall, maybe taller, and the front yard is just striking! I love that house and one day I may move my renter out and move in there myself if SoCal gets too crazy for me.

What is wrong with painting houses in earth colors? My neighborhood (HOA/PUD) in SoCal is all shades of earth tones and my neighborhood too is pretty. In fact I think it's just crazy that the HOA won't let us get rid of our lawns because of the water shortage (yes they say there is more water but we are still limited to 3 days per week). If I decide to stay I'm thinking of putting in artificial turf which a few nearby owners have done, and then instead of mowing it you just blow it. If I stay I have more latitude in my back yard, and I'm planning on switching some out of normal view to river rock, and replacing some of the back lawn with drought tolerant ground cover plants.

As far as the AC bill, I just got my bill from SRP (electric) and the last month cost me $88 although I'll admit the AC is set for a higher temperature than most people would use (maybe 80 or so) and it isn't summer yet. Even if I set it lower your $800/month seems way too high for even the peak temperatures. Maybe some other Phoenix residents can fill us in here, what is your biggest bill from SRP in the hottest part of summer?

I could totally live in my PHX house I just described, it's as nice as my SoCal house and I like Phoenix style landscaping. It only makes sense when you have a limited amount of water, and again it totally works for me. We in SoCal should be embracing this drought tolerant type of landscaping.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,564,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingCA2016 View Post
And for the record... people have been "pouring in" to California since the Hollywood sign went up, hoping for a perfect life, their big break, a better job, or a beautiful view. We don't spray people with Be Gone here ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
One thing to note is: most (if not all) are moving against their will. Not because they want to.

If LA/OC were to plop down scores of skyscrapers that increases the density and supply of housing which drops prices, you bet that couple would move back and so will many others. Or hell, some currently in AZ will even consider moving to the area.. Just shows how desirable it is.
Yep, exactly!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:58 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,987,747 times
Quote:

I thought this was funny. But I must be alone in that one.

It's like we share common feelings, but directed at different people.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,564,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingCA2016 View Post
High density is one of the reasons we are actually leaving. Everything in life became a a hassle, grocery shopping, getting kids to school, holidays, it's all traffic and crowds 24/7. The only thing we would return for is family, and we are leaving by choice. It's not all sunshine and rainbows in OC/LA. Not by a long shot.
You could have moved to Temecula, Murrieta, Wildomar, Menifee for "lower density", or....if you really love the desert....LaQuinta or Rancho Mirage! You didn't have to leave California to "save money". Now, you're just further away from your family...

Old 04-24-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
You could have moved to Temecula, Murrieta, Wildomar, Menifee for "lower density", or....if you really love the desert....LaQuinta or Rancho Mirage! You didn't have to leave California to "save money". Now, you're just further away from your family...
Rancho Mirage doesn't have 4 sports teams, Universities, vibrant downtown areas, high class dining, spring training, etc. Plus, I can be at my in laws house in Corona del Mar by a quick airplane ride in less time than those driving from Rancho Mirage. Makes no sense to live in that area IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area