Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times

Advertisements

Yeah, have to agree with the others here, you might save 5-10 degrees max by going really far out into the valley exurbs like carefree, anthem or maybe fountain hills but it's not going to change your experience much. I tell newcomers and even some regulars this, it's all about adapting to your climate no matter where you're going. It was 63 this morning and absolutely beautiful out, 99 by the peak of the day and again quite nice on the patio for dinner this evening. By mid-June it's 100+ every day with usually 15-20 extremely hot days per year (110+) and by mid-Sept it usually starts to cool back down. People like to talk about how hot it stays at night but I don't know why, the airport temperate is usually the hottest and what's used on the news but if you're out in the preserves it feels noticeably cooler. So night hiking/cycling works or early mornings.

Overall, dont stress too much over something that lasts 12 or so weeks, if you're like me and love to be outdoors you'll figure out how to work around it by getting up early or taking up new hobbies like night hiking. During the hottest days there's lot to see and do indoors here or take a drive 90 minutes north to the cooler pines of rim country. I've lived in a lot of places and really don't find our weather difficult at all. It's quite predicable for planning just about any month of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Any of the outlying burbs are noticeably cooler at night than the city The more outlying and less developed the greater the difference. In the day, its all about elevation. Buckeye can be 10-20 degrees cooler at night in the drier times and consistently 5-10 in the monsoon. It doesn't translate to the day, though. Buckeye is the hottest summer burb cuz its the lowest. The northern burbs are a couple degrees cooler day and night. But you don't really feel that day difference IMO.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
I had family out here a few weeks back and I decided to drive them up to Toms Thumb at night so they can see the stars from up there. We left Scottsdale and it was 81 degrees at 9PM, and according to the car's thermometer, it was 63 at Toms Thumb. It was only a 20-25 minute drive to get there, and you can see it from our condo. Amazing! The story here is get away from the concrete jungle of the Valley if you want cool nights.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:26 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Yeah but that is in April...expect overnight lows in the mid 80s during the summer. Keep in mind that is a historical low...meaning about 4AM it finally cools back down to 85. It is totally normal to be in the 100s until 11PM.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
It's alot more than 12 weeks. Let's be honest here. Half of May, all of June, July, August, Sept. and half of Oct. That's what I have seen and that makes more than 12 weeks.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
The biggest temperature difference is early in the morning, before the sun rises. If you are the type of person that gets up early (here it would have to be probably around 5am... no Daylight Time adjust) for jogging or biking it might be worth looking for a "cooler" city. It's probably 5-8 degrees cooler in the morning in the outskirts areas.

During the day and early evening there's really little/no difference. Get a place with a pool if you want to be outside in the summer much, IMO.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:21 PM

246 posts, read 400,953 times
We lived in Tempe near ASU for awhile and now live in north Mesa near the 202 Red Mountain near Gilbert Road. We notice that it's not quite as hot in Mesa as it was in Tempe, which I attribute to being away from a more central urban location in Tempe as well as not far south from reservation land that is not developed. I agree that first and foremost you learn to adapt to the summer heat, but our experience is that there is a little bit of moderation in temperature in a more fringe location.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It's alot more than 12 weeks. Let's be honest here. Half of May, all of June, July, August, Sept. and half of Oct. That's what I have seen and that makes more than 12 weeks.
It depends on what you consider too hot, I'm fine up to about 102 or so, especially when it's dry and we get lows into the 60s-70s, but I like warm weather which is why I choose to live here. The mornings and evenings are beautiful right now and stay this way through roughly early June making dinners on the evening perfect and morning bikes/bike rides pleasent. During the day 95-102 makes for great swimming weather, another thing we love to do here.

If you're someone who isn't comfortable above 80 this probably isn't the right city for you, perhaps Seattle or San Fran are better fits. I've done it for 12 summers now with a stint in New England for 5 years in between for work, I couldn't wait to come back. I hated having brutally cold winters that were followed by hot/humid summer days. The local news even had a friz factor report they showed nightly to make some fun of the regularly humid days. During the humid stretches nights offered little more reprieve then we get here, I sweltered at 4th of July events there just as I do here, only that's their "nice" season.

Thanks very much I'll keep my dry, predicable Phoenix weather any day.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 AM

52 posts, read 78,279 times
So in fact do enjoy hear. Im actually fine up to 105F without complaining. This was just a general question. I hate the cold and wind and definitely enjoy the heat more.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelguy84 View Post
So in fact do enjoy hear. Im actually fine up to 105F without complaining. This was just a general question. I hate the cold and wind and definitely enjoy the heat more.
You're good to go then, the sacrifices you make to live on the fringe, such as distances to jobs, sports and cultural attractions are not outweighed by saving a few degrees on the overnight low temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area