Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,674,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Not an endorsement of Anthem for the OP. (the commute is probably not good to Mayo) but your assessment of Anthem as "boring" is incorrect. Anthem has more amenities and activities than almost any other community in the north valley. Anthem has parks with lakes that you can fish, playgrounds and a small train for visitors, a skate park, water park, a huge community center with gymnasium, basketball courts, Olympic pool, tennis courts, game rooms and more. Of course golf at the Country Club. Anthem has lots of shopping and dining in and around the community or you can head down to Tramonto or Norterra in just minutes. I-17 is bad during rush hours, but after hours it is quick and easy to get into the city or up to the high country.

In addition the community hosts seasonal events regularly. They do a good job of trying to involve the community in all that they have to offer.

Anyone that is bored in Anthem only has themselves to blame.
Or perhaps they have interests beyond playgrounds, pools and a handful of stores and restaurants. Every "amenity" that you named can be found in just about any master-planned community in the valley, most without the crazy distance between itself and the rest of civilization. Golf, ponds, community centers, playgrounds, swimming pools and skate parks aren't exactly rare commodities around these parts. Anthem may work for some, but we should be realistic about what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 PM

58 posts, read 69,653 times
I second the 85024 Mountain Gate Area. 12 minute Commute to Mayo without traffic, probably 20 mins with Traffic.

Walkable to Very good Schools, Close to 101/51/17. Close to Desert Ridge/Costco. Close to Reach 11 park system, which is a pretty awesome sports complex.

Lots of great houses in your price range:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/14_zm/0_mmm/

Also:
The Traffic on the 101 going towards Mayo in the Morning, away in the evening is pretty consistently bad. So you don't want to be too far west IMO.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 PM

11 posts, read 10,872 times
Thank you I think my reply got lost so let me type again, as we say in the South, Dang it!

I looked at Cave Creek 4 bdrm under 500k only saw 2 listings neither w/pool which is on our must have list. It does look unique and so scenic! I think it may be a little over our price range.

I will check Mountain Gate out. I looked at Tatum Ranch it looks nice, a couple I would go see although looked like secondary bedrooms were generally quite small.

Can anyone tell me how far to a grocery store from Sonoran Foothills? Thanks again for the replies and traffic flow info that's crucial info for sure!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,293,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRynerOnTheMove View Post

Can anyone tell me how far to a grocery store from Sonoran Foothills? Thanks again for the replies and traffic flow info that's crucial info for sure!
I don't live in the area but I am familiar with it. I believe about 1.5-2 miles North to shopping on Carefree Highway or 2-2.5 miles South to shopping on Happy Valley Rd. The shopping on Happy Valley is more of a power center with some big box stores and many restaurants. If I'm wrong on the distance someone will come along to correct me but it's pretty close.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM

140 posts, read 174,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Or perhaps they have interests beyond playgrounds, pools and a handful of stores and restaurants. Every "amenity" that you named can be found in just about any master-planned community in the valley, most without the crazy distance between itself and the rest of civilization. Golf, ponds, community centers, playgrounds, swimming pools and skate parks aren't exactly rare commodities around these parts. Anthem may work for some, but we should be realistic about what it is.
I don't believe that anyone isn't being realistic. Sometimes the distance does suck. For example, if you don't like a local vet or dentist you have to add 15 minutes to your trip to go out of town. However, OP said "We like walking, taking kids to do playgrounds and kid activities, library story time, swimming (hoping to find our own pool)."...and Anthem is pretty great for all of that and I suspect for lower housing prices. I'm sure that other neighborhoods have some great things to do but I don't know that they have the convenience and and variety of parks and activities that Anthem has. It's just a great place for kids and my wife/kids can stay extremely busy and yet go weeks without driving more than 4 miles from our house. And you mentioned that 17 was a nightmare...that is just silly. Are you thinking years ago when it was a 1 lane road? I drive 17 to/from 101 almost daily, as I work near Mayo Clinic, and never have to touch my brakes.

OP, check it out if you want. If you have any questions let me know and I'd be glad to answer.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,674,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEastCoast View Post
I don't believe that anyone isn't being realistic. Sometimes the distance does suck. For example, if you don't like a local vet or dentist you have to add 15 minutes to your trip to go out of town. However, OP said "We like walking, taking kids to do playgrounds and kid activities, library story time, swimming (hoping to find our own pool)."...and Anthem is pretty great for all of that and I suspect for lower housing prices. I'm sure that other neighborhoods have some great things to do but I don't know that they have the convenience and and variety of parks and activities that Anthem has. It's just a great place for kids and my wife/kids can stay extremely busy and yet go weeks without driving more than 4 miles from our house. And you mentioned that 17 was a nightmare...that is just silly. Are you thinking years ago when it was a 1 lane road? I drive 17 to/from 101 almost daily, as I work near Mayo Clinic, and never have to touch my brakes.

OP, check it out if you want. If you have any questions let me know and I'd be glad to answer.
I didn't say anything about the 17 being a nightmare. It's usually fine actually. I just don't see any reason why people would recommend a 20+ mile commute when there are communities with very similar amenities, much closer to the rest of the metropolitan area. Anthem is isolated and has cheaper housing than if it were more conveniently located. People should mention that as it's value proposition because the rest can be found much more conveniently located, sans giant outlet mall perhaps.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,981,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Not an endorsement of Anthem for the OP. (the commute is probably not good to Mayo) but your assessment of Anthem as "boring" is incorrect. Anthem has more amenities and activities than almost any other community in the north valley. Anthem has parks with lakes that you can fish, playgrounds and a small train for visitors, a skate park, water park, a huge community center with gymnasium, basketball courts, Olympic pool, tennis courts, game rooms and more. Of course golf at the Country Club. Anthem has lots of shopping and dining in and around the community or you can head down to Tramonto or Norterra in just minutes. I-17 is bad during rush hours, but after hours it is quick and easy to get into the city or up to the high country.

In addition the community hosts seasonal events regularly. They do a good job of trying to involve the community in all that they have to offer.

Anyone that is bored in Anthem only has themselves to blame.
That's not a gleaming endorsement for Anthem considering most apartment complexes in Scottsdale all boast many of those same amenities (spare a few) for the most part. Ill stand by my statement that Anthem, while a perfectly nice exurb, is rather boring.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM

140 posts, read 174,786 times
Detroit- sorry, I got you mistaken with Big Cats.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM

125 posts, read 106,453 times
Default Desert Peak, Mountaingate, Moon Valley -- in reverse order

Given what you said you're looking for, I'd second the poster who suggested Desert Peak and Mountaingate in the 85024 zip code. They do have scorpions there. If you choose to buy in that area, I recommend getting the house sealed (fan vents, etc.). Easy, easy commute to Desert Ridge/Mayo, and it's a nice, family friendly environment.

I love that you liked Moon Valley! Established, lovely homes. Maybe a little bit older in age than the other areas you're considering. But IMO the stability, tranquility, and central location of Moon Valley is much better than cookie-cutter neighborhoods. There's a reason there are very few homes on the market in that area!

Old 05-22-2017, 02:30 AM

11 posts, read 10,872 times
Default Moon Valley

Thanks Banjo! Nice to hear the endorsement of Moon Valley you are right not a lot of listings but that is always a sign people aren't dying to leave. I have seen Mountaingate and the homes are nice but no listings with a pool and some grass at least yet. I will look at the other neighborhood you mentioned today. The scorpion thing is scary, how effective is sealing the home and what about seeing them in regards to playing outside? Are there a lot just walking around outside in the yard? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area