Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2019, 03:03 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Those new Philly homes are butt ugly! Those residence must have strong calf muscles.
I know right.

Here is another one:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-77815?view=qv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 09:51 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Philly is 24% more expensive while incomes in both cities are about the same....local purchasing power in Phoenix is much much higher than Philly so not sure about what the Philly people are so high and mighty about....Philly also has much worse crime statistics (Philly had 352 murders and Phoenix 132 in 2018 for example)
Honestly surprising it's only 24% more expensive than Phoenix. Every super urban big city besides Philly and Chicago is multiple times more expensive than Phoenix.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

I don't mind that urban look as much as some people but $900K damn...

Old 11-29-2019, 03:08 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Oh Phoenix.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...10215558_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...10215397_zpid/

Old 11-29-2019, 03:10 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
I find it somewhat ironic that people go on and on about city limits size. It doesnt change the character of the city. You can have a city thats the 4th or 5th largest in the US but is only so because of the square mileage it has. Its certainly that way here in Houston.

I use a comparison of Atlanta and Jacksonville. Atlanta is far more important, global, diverse, and cultural than Jacksonville, but the former has more land space so its "bigger". City limits population tells you nothing about the city.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Doesn’t every large city have large houses? What are you trying to prove?

Old 11-29-2019, 04:42 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
None of these appeal to me personally. Philadelphia is old with many run down neighborhoods, and the architecture of some of the newer builds is unappealing ... but yet, a good share of the newer homes in the exurban areas of Phoenix have absolutely no greenery or shade, which is very unattractive to some of us also.

The nicest homes in Phoenix in my opinion are located in the older historic areas (Willo, Encanto, Palmcroft, etc.), as well as Arcadia & the north central areas between midtown & Sunnyslope. They are generally more expensive than the newer exurban builds, but as I say: you usually get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I find it somewhat ironic that people go on and on about city limits size. It doesnt change the character of the city. You can have a city thats the 4th or 5th largest in the US but is only so because of the square mileage it has. Its certainly that way here in Houston.

I use a comparison of Atlanta and Jacksonville. Atlanta is far more important, global, diverse, and cultural than Jacksonville, but the former has more land space so its "bigger". City limits population tells you nothing about the city.
I completely agree. Phoenix really shouldn't be the nation's 5th largest city unless we're truly going to ACT like it ... and we definitely don't in lots of ways. The main reason Phoenix has such a large population is due to the expansive land area (over 500 square miles). This is why it would actually be beneficial if the city would allow deannexation of the far northern districts (Deer Valley Village, Paradise Valley Village, Desert Ridge, Norterra, etc.), as well as Ahwatukee in the southern part. If that were to happen, the city of Phoenix would still have over a million people, but the national ranking would fall to 8th or 9th largest, and the density factor would be significantly higher.

Last edited by Valley Native; 11-29-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 11-29-2019, 04:56 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Thanks? We have large, beautiful, expensive homes too. Do you think your city is the only one to have these? I don’t understand what you are trying to prove here.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:08 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Thanks? We have large, beautiful, expensive homes too. Do you think your city is the only one to have these? I don’t understand what you are trying to prove here.
I believe there's some size envy going on with the Philly people. They can't stand the fact that their city is overtaken by a rapidly growing younger city in the SW. In their opinion, Phoenix lacks any kind of history, culture, diversity, or well defined architecture. In a way, I can see their point because the city wouldn't have 1.6 million people if it wasn't for the 500+ square miles of land area. Still, to post pictures of big mansions just to prove a point is silly & juvenile.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:16 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I believe there's some size envy going on with the Philly people. They can't stand the fact that their city is overtaken by a rapidly growing younger city in the SW. In their opinion, Phoenix lacks any kind of history, culture, diversity, or well defined architecture. In a way, I can see their point because the city wouldn't have 1.6 million people if it wasn't for the 500+ square miles of land area. Still, to post pictures of big mansions just to prove a point is silly & juvenile.
Imagine how Detroit must feel, in 1990, they were the 7th or 8th biggest city with over 1 million people, now they are in I think the 800 thousands pop wise and aren't even in the top 10 anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area