Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM

18 posts, read 61,730 times

Advertisements

I've scanned the threads and can't quite find the answer to this question. Spouse will be working down at ASU and we are wondering if commuting from Peoria will be too far. It's not so much the distance that is an issue, but I've read the traffic horrendous during rush hour. How long will it take to get back and forth?

Also, I would love recommendations on which zip codes in Peoria would be good for a family with kids in elementary, middle, and high school. Is the south end of Peoria not a good place to be?

I know areas like Chandler and Gilbert may be closer, but I'm not really loving those areas. I'm open to suggestions if you have recommendations.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Yes, that is a terrible commute both directions. Don't do it. Live in the east valley if you and your wife are working in Tempe.

Chandler, Tempe or Gilbert would all be great choices.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:28 PM

I was afraid you were going to say that. I read somewhere that Tempe can get a little sketchy if you are south of Guadalupe. Does that sound right? Are there areas to avoid in Tempe? Also, what about Mesa?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Horrible commute. It's not that far on a map, but heading west in the evening is probably the worst rush hour drive there is here.

I used to work with a couple of people that lived in north Peoria and commuted to west Mesa every day, which is not that far from ASU. They were miserable in that traffic, but one was in Peoria for their kid's school and he eventually changed his job and now works in Surprise. The other guy? He'd come in to work about 6 AM and go home about 6 PM to avoid the worst of it. Long days!

Old 06-19-2017, 04:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Horrible commute and no reason for it. There are places much more desirable than Peoria near the ASU employer. What do you prefer about Peoria over Chanbert? That will help with some recommendations. Also, no Tempe south of Guadalupe is not sketchy at all. Many prefer south Tempe (away from the college crowd).

Old 06-19-2017, 04:33 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny3 View Post
I read somewhere that Tempe can get a little sketchy if you are south of Guadalupe.
Actually, it's the opposite. Tempe south of Guadalupe is generally the newer, safer, and more affluent part of the city. A bit pricey though.

Quote:
Also, what about Mesa?
The newer and safer areas of Mesa are mostly in the eastern part of the city.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 PM

We know some people who live in Peoria and it's quite nice. I'm sure "Chanbert" is just as nice. To be perfectly honest, Chandler looks great, but the yearly school schedule is CRAZY for their public school system. And Gilbert seems to be full of Mormons. Don't get me wrong, I know that's a horrible thing to say. But I feel like it's ok for me to say because we are LDS too. We prefer to live in a more diverse community. We are "east coast" LDS and have been in Utah for a few years. We don't want to live where there's so many LDS that it affects the culture of our neighborhood. Sorry if that's super awful to say.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:41 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
I was afraid you were going to say that. I read somewhere that Tempe can get a little sketchy if you are south of Guadalupe. Does that sound right? Are there areas to avoid in Tempe? Also, what about Mesa?
Anything you could ever find in Peoria could easily be found in Chandler/Tempe/Mesa/Gilbert. IMO I'd choose Chandler or Tempe before I looked at Peoria regardless. Peoria is just cookie cutter development city, there's not much more to it.

It makes almost no sense for you to consider Peoria if you are commuting to ASU. Just live in Tempe. Tempe is generally safe, but the worst parts are generally East of McClintock and near Arizona Mills. Other than that it's perfectly fine.

If sterile and new is your thing, Chandler has all that and a lot more. I also would not discount Scottsdale.

Quote:
We know some people who live in Peoria and it's quite nice. I'm sure "Chanbert" is just as nice. To be perfectly honest, Chandler looks great, but the yearly school schedule is CRAZY for their public school system. And Gilbert seems to be full of Mormons. Don't get me wrong, I know that's a horrible thing to say. But I feel like it's ok for me to say because we are LDS too. We prefer to live in a more diverse community. We are "east coast" LDS and have been in Utah for a few years. We don't want to live where there's so many LDS that it affects the culture of our neighborhood. Sorry if that's super awful to say.
Gilbert has the LDS thing, but the LDS influence is not like Utah or rural Northern Arizona. It's just normal people living their lives like you are. But working at ASU would make living in Tempe fun and you'd be part of the community.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,338 times
Yes - a Peoria/Tempe commute, unless it is in the middle of the night would be horrible.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
I've scanned the threads and can't quite find the answer to this question. Spouse will be working down at ASU and we are wondering if commuting from Peoria will be too far. It's not so much the distance that is an issue, but I've read the traffic horrendous during rush hour. How long will it take to get back and forth?

Also, I would love recommendations on which zip codes in Peoria would be good for a family with kids in elementary, middle, and high school. Is the south end of Peoria not a good place to be?

I know areas like Chandler and Gilbert may be closer, but I'm not really loving those areas. I'm open to suggestions if you have recommendations.

Thank you!!!
Terrible commute. I'm pretty sure you can find a place you like in Ahwatukee, Chandler, Tempe, or of course the standard by which all other suburbs should be judged, Gilbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area