Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:57 PM

576 posts, read 836,529 times

Advertisements

Had to go up to Prescott Valley this afternoon. As I was running up on the 303, I seen there was a cop pulled over on the other side with his lights flashing. There was also a van pulled over and two guys were out standing on the road. There was a small fire in the ditch next to them.

By the time I came back a few hours later, apparently the fire had gotten a lot bigger. I-17, the 303, and 74 were all closed. What a traffic nightmare!

Of course, I have no way of knowing, but I suspect this fire was probably started by someone throwing a cigarette butt out the window. A simple careless act like that can create a nightmare for thousands of others. Of course, if that was the cause, the person starting the fire was not delayed in the least, so what do they care!

Just had to vent. Please be careful folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,632,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Had to go up to Prescott Valley this afternoon. As I was running up on the 303, I seen there was a cop pulled over on the other side with his lights flashing. There was also a van pulled over and two guys were out standing on the road. There was a small fire in the ditch next to them.

By the time I came back a few hours later, apparently the fire had gotten a lot bigger. I-17, the 303, and 74 were all closed. What a traffic nightmare!

Of course, I have no way of knowing, but I suspect this fire was probably started by someone throwing a cigarette butt out the window. A simple careless act like that can create a nightmare for thousands of others. Of course, if that was the cause, the person starting the fire was not delayed in the least, so what do they care!

Just had to vent. Please be careful folks.
Who knows (?) about the origin of this one, but many brush fires do begin with a cigarette toss. The world is their ashtray.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Who knows (?) about the origin of this one, but many brush fires do begin with a cigarette toss. The world is their ashtray.
I'm not sure, but I think most cars do not have ashtrays anymore. Been that way for several years. Another classic example of do-gooders intentions (smoking is not good for you, so we will take away your ashtray) gone horribly wrong. Now people are forced to throw them out the window.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,335,664 times
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think most cars do not have ashtrays anymore. Been that way for several years. Another classic example of do-gooders intentions (smoking is not good for you, so we will take away your ashtray) gone horribly wrong. Now people are forced to throw them out the window.
Ashtrays and lighters have gone away in favor of storage spaces and charging docks for mobile phones. I doubt any "do gooder" is trying to stop people from smoking.

No one is forcing anyone to throw anything out the window. If you smoke in your car, you should figure out how to dispose of the butts without throwing them out the window. They don't just disappear once tossed; they can cause fires as mentioned, and just add to the general trash on the streets that is unnecessary.

At a red light recently I watched a lady open a pack of smokes and every bit of extra plastic and paper packaging she had to rip off went out the window, bit by bit. Makes my blood boil.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Ashtrays and lighters have gone away in favor of storage spaces and charging docks for mobile phones. I doubt any "do gooder" is trying to stop people from smoking.
Well, you're partially right:

"According the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, the trend toward "smokeless cars" is likely to continue for three reasons: pressure from anti-smoking groups, fewer smokers, and the need for extra storage space."

Source:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...83214438883934

Old 06-23-2017, 01:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,695,073 times
Quote:
So much for personal responsibility, huh? How asinine. No one is forced to throw a cigarette out of their window. If one must smoke in their car, it's their responsibility to ensure they have an ashtray before lighting up.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 06-23-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 02:16 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,335,664 times
Quote:
Well, you're partially right:

"According the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, the trend toward "smokeless cars" is likely to continue for three reasons: pressure from anti-smoking groups, fewer smokers, and the need for extra storage space."

Source:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...83214438883934
Fewer smokers I can believe. Now if we can do something to reduce the vape group as well

Old 06-23-2017, 02:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,726,636 times
Quote:
See, that's not really true.

Automakers put in power ports everywhere now instead because Mr. and Mrs. Marlboro and their friends the Newports gave up smoking back in the 80s long before moving to Sun City. So there's no need for automakers to equip cars with four lighters and door pocket ashtrays when nobody smokes anymore anyway. These days everyone's loaded down with phones, tablets, and other electronics that they want to charge while on their way, so you have power ports everywhere instead.

As for being forced to toss butts out the window, well, it's really not that difficult nor is it cost prohibitive to purchase one of a trillion different cupholder or insert ashtrays. Some automakers even offer them as accessories, including the cigarette lighter conversion from a power port.

Amazon: Cupholder ashtray

Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,622,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
See, that's not really true.

Automakers put in power ports everywhere now instead because Mr. and Mrs. Marlboro and their friends the Newports gave up smoking back in the 80s long before moving to Sun City. So there's no need for automakers to equip cars with four lighters and door pocket ashtrays when nobody smokes anymore anyway. These days everyone's loaded down with phones, tablets, and other electronics that they want to charge while on their way, so you have power ports everywhere instead.

As for being forced to toss butts out the window, well, it's really not that difficult nor is it cost prohibitive to purchase one of a trillion different cupholder or insert ashtrays. Some automakers even offer them as accessories, including the cigarette lighter conversion from a power port.

Amazon: Cupholder ashtray
people are generally lazy and unwilling to assume any responsibility.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
people are generally lazy and unwilling to assume any responsibility.
Right. It's MUCH easier to just flick it out the window! That was my point, by getting rid of ash trays as standard equipment, it has made this problem much worse.

Ironically, last night, I was watching Live PD and an AZ DPS trooper pulled over a car for flicking a cigarette out the window. He said it is considered criminal littering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area