Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Only if you like the toilet paper between your toes while you're surfing

IB has less crowds because the TJ river dissects it and brings all of the TJ poop water to the Pacific. I avoid it at all times, but I would especially do so after a rain. That beach gets closed often for this reason.
Thanks for this information. I was not aware of the TJ river dumping waste into the ocean there? Aren't there some sort of environmental laws against that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Thanks for this information. I was not aware of the TJ river dumping waste into the ocean there? Aren't there some sort of environmental laws against that?
Considering it's coming from Mexico, no.

I was just in San Diego. I've been several times and it's a 5 hour drive for me (from Ahwatukee). Might be four if you live in the West Valley, like south Buckeye. Yes the water is a shock at first (esp this time of year, though better around Labor Day and into late September), but once you are in it's not bad and really refreshing.

As for beaches in Cali, our favorites in and around San Diego are Silver Strand (Coronado), La Jolla, and further north Del Mar. Del Mar is probably our favorite. In LA/Orange County it's gotta be Newport, Huntington, Laguna, Hermosa, Venice (if you like the east coast boardwalks you'd probably like Venice), and Malibu. There are some nice secluded Malibu beaches further up north past Point Dume.

Never been to Rocky Point but have heard good things. Will try it one of these days.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
The way I drive Mission and La jolla beach are 4 hours away from west Phoenix ( Litchfield Park ). La Jolla is very nice

Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,177 times
We prefer the SoCal beaches Malibu down to Coronado Beach in San Diego. We love San Diego and in particular La Jolla beach and Pacific Beach (PB) there are many places to swim and yes the water can be cold (about 60- 72 degrees from May-September), but it's totally bearable. I know that I am responding to this very late, but I just wanted to chime in. Rocky Point is not a bad place and contrary to all the negativity that is spread through the media. It is both relatively safe and affordable. It was more affordable 10-15 years ago, but they have seen steady and rapid development of high rise apartments, condos and vacation homes by US citizens. If that is the case, Is it as bad as some people say? Of course not. This doesn't mean that it is ugly, actually the beaches and local bars are decent. This also depends on your age group. It's a party haven for college kids from Arizona, New Mexico and Southern California. Lastly, Puerto Penasco is in a foreign country and not the US. So with that there are certain precautionary steps that you take before and during your trip and a certain level of vigilance and common sense that you keep when travelling anywhere abroad.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:04 PM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
I like Imperial Beach, and I just got back. It is free of rich snobs, drunk college kids, and griping Zonies. I am glad it is maligned here; more peace and pleasure for me.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 PM

11 posts, read 14,859 times
Can’t go wrong with mission beach, pacific beach, and ocean beach in San Diego. Not a bad drive out there, either.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I like Imperial Beach, and I just got back. It is free of rich snobs, drunk college kids, and griping Zonies. I am glad it is maligned here; more peace and pleasure for me.
Most beaches are free of Zonies, I was just in Pacific Beach, much nicer and no crowds anymore. Anyway glad you enjoyed it, I'm too scared of the Tijuana sewage that dumps there personally.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
I'm a fan of cold water, California waters never bothered me.

I prefer going to Huntington or Mission beach aka more "lively" beaches per say. Though the quiet beaches, like La Jolla, or nice on the occasion. You have to switch the beaches every now and then.

I want to visit Rocky Point at some point. Heard the water is warmer, so I'm curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area