Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 06:12 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Frys and Sprouts have their place but they have nothing,zip,zero over Winco. I could go down a list of things Winco has over the two you love but I get the impression it'd be a waste of time. Good thing lots of people like Winco, it'll be around a loooooong time...
I disagree completely . Just my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 06:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I've already explained myself earlier in the thread, I'm willing to pay more for higher quality and better service and I appreciate a selection of gourmet and unique items. I have no interest in getting a bunch of low quality off brands, subpar produce or low quality meats. I work hard enough and would rather not bag my own groceries or pay a deposit for a shopping cart in addition to consuming the low quality groceries to save a few bucks. It's for the paycheck to paycheck crowd. If it indirectly lowers our Fry's and Sprouts purchases then I'm fine with it but it's not somewhere I'd shop.
There's the absolute fallacy of your argument against Winco. They source their goods from equal to better purveyors that Fry's (Kroger) or Albertway. They get their bulk stuff mostly from Bob's Red Mill, a high quality grain supplier, they get their bulk Chocolate from Valrhona and a couple other suppliers that actually sell to restaurant supply houses and upscale restaurants.

Their meat comes from the same supplier that supplies Sams Club, Costco etc., I've never had a bit of problem with it and in fact revel in the fact that I can buy Tri-Tip from Winco for most times at LEAST $2 less per pound than ANY other chain store.

Same grade, same quality less money. You just keep on believing that mass marketing crap and fancy looking refer/freezer cases and snazzy looking isles with their upscale end caps, you're certainly paying for it!

Old 04-16-2018, 06:33 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
EXACTLY! Between Fry's hiking prices, probably to cover their remodels (where they added wine/cheese bars along with other snooty stuff) and the Albertway merger which sent prices nutso in both stores there's few other reasonable choices.

If Sprouts would quit selling veggies that spoil right after we get them home and overcharging for their bulk items I'd be more inclined to shop there.
Walmart has better produce than Sprouts but they clearly lack the selection you find there. Walmart locally sources quite a bit of it, too.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
I love Sprouts for produce. The one by me has really nice stuff, but their beef and seafood on the other hand, is awful. It would be really nice to have somewhere with great everything. Instead we go to Costco, Sprouts and Fry’s/Safeway getting the products that each do well.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I love Sprouts for produce. The one by me has really nice stuff, but their beef and seafood on the other hand, is awful. It would be really nice to have somewhere with great everything. Instead we go to Costco, Sprouts and Fry’s/Safeway getting the products that each do well.
I like the grass fed steaks from Sprouts as well as the andouille sausage for Cajun dishes and of course the produce. We also get steaks from Costco occasionally and I also sometimes go to Butcher Block Meats if I want something for the smoker I can't find elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Sprouts here (Avondale) has terrible produce...it doesn't last once you get it home and needs to be used right away. A day or two after buying it we're throwing stuff away. We have tried it many times hoping it would be better than the time before but we are always disappointed.

Fry's and Winco have great produce and where we get most of ours. I would shop wal mart if the check out wasn't such a pain in the butt. Winco has really good quality stuff and we would shop there every week if it wasn't so far away.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
There's the absolute fallacy of your argument against Winco. They source their goods from equal to better purveyors that Fry's (Kroger) or Albertway. They get their bulk stuff mostly from Bob's Red Mill, a high quality grain supplier, they get their bulk Chocolate from Valrhona and a couple other suppliers that actually sell to restaurant supply houses and upscale restaurants.

Their meat comes from the same supplier that supplies Sams Club, Costco etc., I've never had a bit of problem with it and in fact revel in the fact that I can buy Tri-Tip from Winco for most times at LEAST $2 less per pound than ANY other chain store.

Same grade, same quality less money. You just keep on believing that mass marketing crap and fancy looking refer/freezer cases and snazzy looking isles with their upscale end caps, you're certainly paying for it!
I don't believe WinCo has USDA Prime steaks but something could have changed. Like I said we only buy Prime. Some people are ok with USDA choice just like some are ok with well done steaks and I'm not. Different strokes

Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,812,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Aldi rezoning in Goodyear is right across from Walmart and a couple blocks from Safeway. The Walmart is one of the stores that is seeing a remodeling to facilitate online purchasing and pickup of groceries as well as no checkout checkout. They are building a "pick up tower" in the front of the store - a large in store kiosk for online ordering and pickup with lockers. I saw it but have no idea yet how it works. Grocery shopping is changing around here, for sure.
I just used it the other day and it's very convenient and easy to use. There's a black pad on the right side where you place your phone and it reads the bar code they emailed you once your item arrives. Almost instantly your item comes out the door and for larger items the locker will open. It's nice not having to wait in the CS line when there's only one person working and there are 3-4 people who are either returning stuff or cashing their checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Sprouts here (Avondale) has terrible produce...it doesn't last once you get it home and needs to be used right away. A day or two after buying it we're throwing stuff away. We have tried it many times hoping it would be better than the time before but we are always disappointed.

Fry's and Winco have great produce and where we get most of ours. I would shop wal mart if the check out wasn't such a pain in the butt. Winco has really good quality stuff and we would shop there every week if it wasn't so far away.
I go over to the Avondale WM,I think their store is much better than the one in Goodyear. They have a large self checkout area which I think has about 10-12 checkouts so you can get in and out quick. The produce is alway in stock and I've noticed lately some is priced the same as Food City which is just down the street. The last couple times I was there they had cucumbers for .20 and avocados for .25. I hope that Winco opens up here soon as I love going there too. With the 303 open it's not as bad as before but it's still a good distance.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:51 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,305,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
I will never spend one penny at Aldi. As a truck driver I had to deliver at there DC. I think it was Kansas city, but the same in Europe. You, the driver unload the pallets, take the shrink wrap of and MUST take it with you.. They are to cheap to rent a dumpster for there own trash......
26 pallets have a few 100 yard plastic wrapped around them.

Cheap store for cheap people.
That's part of their business model. They have very few employees and very low overhead. That is how they keep prices down. It's not about being cheap, it's about saving their customers money buy having fewer expenses

Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Just noticed this on abc 15...

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...ore-in-buckeye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area