Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 02:30 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,318,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Sure if you're looking at it week to week it may seem small but think about it over the course of 20/30/40 years. I'd swear Mn and I are from the same mold as I can relate to everything he said and I too enjoy doing this and kind of look at it like a game. The more I save the more I win and now take into account this isn't just groceries we're talking about it's everything! I very rarely pay full price for anything. Sure there are some things that are non negotiable but you'd be very surprised how many businesses are willing to deal,the worst they can say is no. We just purchased a few pieces up in Cave Creek and while she was ringing it up I asked if there was a discount for buying several pieces. She said we don't usually but I can give you 10% off,Bingo another $120.00 in my pocket!

This has nothing to do with the "for the paycheck to paycheck crowd" as Ive been doing this my whole life even when I was making a six figure plus income. Yes my time is worth money too but it doesn't take that long to scan a few sites or the weekly flyers for the best deals. I'm surely not going to drive all over town to save a few cents but like jimj,when there's a good deal I'm buying a lot of it and freezing it. My neighbor goes to Frys for everything,says he doesn't have time to be worrying about saving a few cents. I guess thats why he's still working at 69 and I semi-retired at 51.
I look at the value of my time differently. For instance spending 20 minutes researching coupons to save $10-$15 is a huge financial loss for me, since I dont particularly enjoy it. I just like what I like and enjoy selection, I have no interest in sampling a bunch of off brands to see if there's one or two just as good as the national brand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times
You guys really put a lot of thought into this. There’s a Frys and a Bashas near me. I usually go to Frys because it’s closer and get the cheapest of everything. Both carry Chompies and Nanas which is good enough for me. Because I don’t buy a lot of processed foods, brands don’t usually matter. But I do go name brand for things like chips and frozen stuff.

Generic things like flour, oil, spices, cleaners etc. don’t matter to me.

I try to keep it under $100/week for the household.

I haven’t really thought much more about it, but bringing my own bags has already turned me away. No thanks.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:50 AM

16,414 posts, read 30,432,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Here is why: groceries are expensive in IL, WI and MN. The lack of competition, higher labor costs or transportation costs (or all of these combined) make grocery chain prices as compared to Aldi's a night and day difference. In other words, I'm not going to Aldi's in AZ. I already have my fill of spots with great pricing. The competition is brutal here and there are lost leaders galore. Just yesterday, I paid $0.77 for grapes at Bashes, $0.39 for bananas, $0.88 for peppers, $1.77 a pound for boneless skinless chicken. It would be even cheaper at Winco. That's UNHEARD of back home. Try $2.99 on sale for grapes, $2.69 a pound for chicken "special", $2 a piece pepper and $0.79 for bananas. It's why Aldi's standout in IL..

The WORST part of living in Arizona was the lack of competition in groceries. My food costs went up 15%-20% when I moved here from the Chicago suburbs as the locally owned fresh markets are generally a lot cheaper than Fry's, Albertsons and Walmart. Yes, you can pick up a couple of the loss leaders at a reasonable price but I prefer a wider variety beyond what is on the front page of the ad.

=========================

I would say that 80% of the people who have posted on this thread have not been to the current upgraded locations which are currently mostly found in Southern California, Beavercreek, OH, and a few suburbs in the Chicago area. They have significantly expanded produce sections nearly tripling the SKUs offered in the produce area

Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,874,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You guys really put a lot of thought into this. There’s a Frys and a Bashas near me. I usually go to Frys because it’s closer and get the cheapest of everything. Both carry Chompies and Nanas which is good enough for me. Because I don’t buy a lot of processed foods, brands don’t usually matter. But I do go name brand for things like chips and frozen stuff.

Generic things like flour, oil, spices, cleaners etc. don’t matter to me.

I try to keep it under $100/week for the household.

I haven’t really thought much more about it, but bringing my own bags has already turned me away. No thanks.
Bringing your own bags is smart. We use insulated bags that we keep in the car to use over and over. It saves throwing paper or plastic bags away and the insulated bags keep your food warm or cold. People have been doing it for many years.

We don't get everything at Aldi but cereal, flour, sugar, things like that are much cheaper. They have good sourdough bread, tasty Asian trail mix, lots of unusual foods; many are European brands. It's different every time though so you need another store to back it up. As for living paycheck to paycheck--no. And I wouldn't dream of buying much food in Walmart. Another thing about Aldi is the clever way they keep the shopping carts from rolling all over the parking lot. It's just like in Europe, you deposit a coin and when you return the cart you get it back. If you're too lazy to return your cart, someone else will return it and get the quarter coin for doing so. Aldi is a great concept--some Americans need to get our of their caves and try it!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 AM

2,809 posts, read 3,199,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Bringing your own bags is smart. We use insulated bags that we keep in the car to use over and over. It saves throwing paper or plastic bags away and the insulated bags keep your food warm or cold. People have been doing it for many years.

We don't get everything at Aldi but cereal, flour, sugar, things like that are much cheaper. They have good sourdough bread, tasty Asian trail mix, lots of unusual foods; many are European brands. It's different every time though so you need another store to back it up. As for living paycheck to paycheck--no. And I wouldn't dream of buying much food in Walmart. Another thing about Aldi is the clever way they keep the shopping carts from rolling all over the parking lot. It's just like in Europe, you deposit a coin and when you return the cart you get it back. If you're too lazy to return your cart, someone else will return it and get the quarter coin for doing so. Aldi is a great concept--some Americans need to get our of their caves and try it!
Great post, thanks!

Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,199,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The WORST part of living in Arizona was the lack of competition in groceries. My food costs went up 15%-20% when I moved here from the Chicago suburbs as the locally owned fresh markets are generally a lot cheaper than Fry's, Albertsons and Walmart. Yes, you can pick up a couple of the loss leaders at a reasonable price but I prefer a wider variety beyond what is on the front page of the ad.

I would say that 80% of the people who have posted on this thread have not been to the current upgraded locations which are currently mostly found in Southern California, Beavercreek, OH, and a few suburbs in the Chicago area. They have significantly expanded produce sections nearly tripling the SKUs offered in the produce area
I can't speak for other parts of the US, but compared to Germany groceries are expensive. I don't understand how they can be ~20% more here even with 7% VAT added in Germany. It may have to do with more expensive distribution costs in a much larger country, with the manufacturers or the store chains. Not sure.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:46 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I can't speak for other parts of the US, but compared to Germany groceries are expensive. I don't understand how they can be ~20% more here even with 7% VAT added in Germany. It may have to do with more expensive distribution costs in a much larger country, with the manufacturers or the store chains. Not sure.
Or a $10.50 minimum wage that will be at $12/hour in less than two years.

We've really noticed an increase in our grocery bill over the last year or so. Heck, we're paying as much now for groceries for my wife and I as we were a few years back when we had two kids at home.

We've been in several businesses that have posted signs saying they have raised their prices (twice) due to the increase in minimum wage. The rest have done the same thing without posting a sign.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:02 PM

^^^

Aldi starts its cashiers in Chicagoland at $15.60 to start so raises in the minimum wagew ill impact them less.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Your food cost went up? Wow. I find food prices to be about the same or considerably less here (produce especially) here than when I lived in Des Moines.

And I agree, a lot of people that say they won't set foot in Aldi are remembering a not so nice one they may have visited a decade ago. I haven't been to the new model stores in the US but we did go to one when we were in Sydney Australia last year and it was amazing!

I'm excited!

Last edited by ElleTea; 04-18-2018 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Your food cost went up? Wow. I find food prices to be about the same or considerably less here (produce especially) here than when I lived in Des Moines.

And I agree, a lot of people that say they won't set foot in Aldi are remembering a not so nice one they may have visited a decade ago. I haven't been to the new model stores in the US but we did go to one when we were in Sydney Australia last and it was amazing!

I'm excited!

Aldi significantly upgraded its new stores in 2013, expanding the frozen space and size of produce selection. The stres were a major improvement.

They stepped up a lot in 2015 when they built their new St. Charles, IL store and really made the store a lot nicer.

However, the El Centro, CA and Beavercreek, OH stores are upscale with significant additions including organic produce. The fixturing was very different with about 2x the refrigerated space. Nearly all the produce is under refrigeration and the stores are visually appealing.

=================

I was talking to a Winco Foods manager in Nevada and an Aldi manager in Ohio. They both told me that when the two chains tangled in Texas, there was a price war as both chains intend to be the low cost option in any market where they meet.

To me, the more competition in the market the better for consumers. I shop at a good number of supermarkets in the course of the year and plan to continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area