Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 04:32 PM

16,405 posts, read 30,359,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Why would they be building a distribution center in the west valley of Phoenix if it was only to serve California? Makes no sense. They clearly have plans to penetrate Phoenix and probably Vegas/Tucson eventually. FYI I love Aldi. High quality products for a low price. By the way, did you all know they are owned by the same group that owns Trader Joe's? The Albrecht Brothers, a couple German brothers who were among the wealthiest people in the world at one time (now passed so it is now part of a family trust). Trader Joe's is already all over Cali and AZ so makes sense Aldi would come here.

The two Albrecht brothers did not get along and years ago, split their businesses long ago.

One Albrecht brother established Aldi USA. The other brother PURCHASED the Trader Joe's chain.

They are NOT related companies even though some of their operational philosophies are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 04:34 PM

16,405 posts, read 30,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
$20 says that'd never happen here even if it really happens as you say elsewhere <bold>. They'll chase carts just like every other store in AZ does...

Most of the local kids will return an Aldi cart for the quarters. I cannot think of any place where I have seen an Aldi cart just floating around. People are motivated by quarters.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,635,636 times
I remember Aldi from visiting my cousins in rural PA in the early-mid 1990s. It's funny to see people treat this as a much anticipated amenity. It really is a basic grocery store. I remember it being a tiny store filled with off-brand items. It definitely was a no frills place. The shopping cart thing was odd and was more of burden than amenity, especially when the carts were parked out in the rain and snow.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,933,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I remember Aldi from visiting my cousins in rural PA in the early-mid 1990s. It's funny to see people treat this as a much anticipated amenity. It really is a basic grocery store. I remember it being a tiny store filled with off-brand items. It definitely was a no frills place.
Well, for some of the food basics, like cereal,bread,peanut butter, canned veggies,milk, bananas,eggs,sugar, etc, their everyday low prices, and good quality are definitely noteworthy...and, If you are on a really tight budget, your food dollar goes farther there than any other food chain I have ever seen.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,634,762 times
I'd be more excited if PHX were getting a HEB Central Market.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:36 PM

44,677 posts, read 61,781,466 times
We were recently in an Aldi store in MN. When you enter the store you put a quarter in a small cart coin machine to use while shopping. The store was very small about the size of a drugstore, the products are all private label and the prices are just a hair lower than the big chains name brands. The produce was priced exactly as the big stores and of the same quality. It's self bagging, they did take credit cards, debit or cash. When you leave and load your vehicle you take the cart back to the store and push it into the cart corral and a coin machine kicks out a quarter for you.
Our BIL picked up some cereal and a few other items to try out. Later he said they were bland tasting and not as good as the bigger chains national brands. He gave us some items to try. We were not impressed with Aldi's and chalked it off as another unneeded experience.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,298,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We were recently in an Aldi store in MN. When you enter the store you put a quarter in a small cart coin machine to use while shopping. The store was very small about the size of a drugstore, the products are all private label and the prices are just a hair lower than the big chains name brands. The produce was priced exactly as the big stores and of the same quality. It's self bagging, they did take credit cards, debit or cash. When you leave and load your vehicle you take the cart back to the store and push it into the cart corral and a coin machine kicks out a quarter for you.
Our BIL picked up some cereal and a few other items to try out. Later he said they were bland tasting and not as good as the bigger chains national brands. He gave us some items to try. We were not impressed with Aldi's and chalked it off as another unneeded experience.
They're probably scouting some fresh and easy locations that are still vacant. I don't like the idea of returning the cart. If my wife has kids with her she has to haul them back in the store to return the cart, then back to the car. Seems like nonsense, I'll pay a little more for better selection, quality and service. I'm sure we'd stick to Sprouts and Fry's.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,328,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
They're probably scouting some fresh and easy locations that are still vacant. I don't like the idea of returning the cart. If my wife has kids with her she has to haul them back in the store to return the cart, then back to the car. Seems like nonsense, I'll pay a little more for better selection, quality and service. I'm sure we'd stick to Sprouts and Fry's.
Someone who needs a cart is likely to hand you a quarter before you even start to walk back to return it!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,436,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
interesting news; Aldi's is a "no frills", no name brand kind of store, high quality products, about 30-50% LESS EXPENSIVE than name brands, but still AA quality everything..very few employees at the store, so dont expect any service..

you bring your own bags, cash/debit card only, bag your own stuff so once you find that you like their brands of things you normally buy, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much you save shopping there..a few odds and ends with name brands, but mostly brands you don't recognize..

you even have to put a quarter in the "shopping cart corral" to get a shopping cart!
I have had Aldi's in my area for years. Used to drive 15 miles to one, now 3 miles to nearest one. Great produce and prices (example 39 cents for red grapefruit, versus 1.25, or $1 on sale at name brand supermarket. Cukes 3/$1, versus 89 cents for 1, milk always at least $1 less, and pretty good yogurt at 39 cents each. The candy, cookies and chips/pretzels are very good also. And they have good bread at a good price and gluten-free items for people who use those items.

I say, give Aldi's a chance - you might like it a lot!

I am re-locating soon and won't have an Aldi's but hope they expand to my new area.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-30-2017 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 07-30-2017, 12:53 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,119,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Where does it say "Aldi's Supermarkets coming to the valley"?

There is a distribution center coming to serve California. I don't see anything that says supermarkets are coming to the valley.

Aldi already has a huge distribution center in Moreno Valley in Southern California. It's by far Aldis largest distribution center and able to serve up to 200 stores (normally Aldi distribution centers only serve up to 100 stores). They don't need a second distribution center to serve Southern California. In addition to this, it would make absolutely no sense to build a distribution center near Phoenix to serve Southern California with groceries.
The construction of this distribution center means that Aldi will build at least 50 stores in Arizona. That's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area