Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,098,533 times

Advertisements

So it sounds like Aldi is a copy of the old CA Canned Food Stores or Grocery Outlet.

Interesting article on these "discount" stores.
Quote:
Discount grocery stores have both strong points and drawbacks.

Advantages

If you liken garage sales to treasure hunts, you’ll love bargain grocery stores. My prizes have included scented candles I’ve given as gifts, and all-natural peanut butter discounted at more than half off the regular grocery store price.
Some accept manufacturer’s coupons. For instance, if you have a coupon for $1.50 off a 12-ounce bag of ground coffee, you’d pay $6.99 if you went to a supermarket charging a normal rate of $8.49. However, at a bargain store selling the same bag of coffee for $3.99, you’d pay only $2.49!
If you have brand loyalty for certain products, you can occasionally find them for a much lower price at a no-frills grocery. I recently saw Softsoap hand soap bottles for $0.99, compared to $1.49 at a Wegmans supermarket.

Disadvantages

Some discount grocery stores do not accept credit cards. This is no big deal if you normally pay for your groceries with cash or a debit card, but my husband and I buy almost everything with cash back credit cards in order to rack up rewards points.
Discount grocery stores have a smaller selection than a supermarket, and you’ll likely need to visit a supermarket afterward to find remaining items on your list. Are you looking for tarragon or brie? A supermarket is most likely your best bet.
Discount retailers generally don’t stay open as late as a supermarket, so you have to plan your shopping accordingly.

https://www.moneycrashers.com/discount-grocery-stores/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
does it really make a difference if it is Aldi's; Aldis's or whatever as long as we all know what we are talking about? Here the signs out front of the stores say Aldis.
Just curious as to where people got the apostrophe-s from.

Pic?

Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 AM

39,144 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Just curious as to where people got the apostrophe-s from.

Pic?
It is being perceived as a name. We typically make names possessive when we use them in this context. We don't say Dairy Queen's but we do say McDonald's.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM

712 posts, read 559,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
A lot of people who are familiar with Aldi are from the Midwest. It's a Midwest thing to add an apostrophe and an "s" to the name of a store.

I'm from Michigan and the big stores when I lived there were "Kmart's," "Kroger's," "Meijer's", etc.
I am in Ohio and his is true here too. But there are certain stores that don't have the s on the end. No one says I am going to Walmarts, or Targets that sounds just weird. But Kroger is always said with the possessive S on the end. Not sure why but we also call soda Pop

See image, it does NOT have an S at the end even though it is usually added in speech if you live in the Midwest
Attached Thumbnails
Aldi's Supermarkets Coming To The Valley,Building A Warehouse on 303/Indian School Rd.-aldi-390.jpg  

Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 AM

975 posts, read 1,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I am in Ohio and his is true here too. But there are certain stores that don't have the s on the end. No one says I am going to Walmarts, or Targets that sounds just weird. But Kroger is always said with the possessive S on the end. Not sure why but we also call soda Pop

See image, it does NOT have an S at the end even though it is usually added in speech if you live in the Midwest
I've heard "Walmart's" and "Target's" in Michigan, although not as common as "Kroger's" or "Meijer's" or even "Kmart's."

Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is being perceived as a name. We typically make names possessive when we use them in this context. We don't say Dairy Queen's but we do say McDonald's.
Because McDonald's is actually called McDonald's

Old 04-20-2018, 09:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So it sounds like Aldi is a copy of the old CA Canned Food Stores or Grocery Outlet.

Nope. Aldi is a whole different animal. They are not an outlet. They are not a junk discount store any more than Trader Joe's is a discounted version of Whole Foods. Since Aldi and TJ's are related, they operate in a very similar way. Their own brands, few employees, etc to keep costs down

Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 AM

16,411 posts, read 30,399,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

That is COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

Grocery Outlet is what is referred to in the business is a salvage grocer. Salvage Grocers generally buy overruns, close dated products, bankruptcy goods and the like from supermarket chains, jobbers, and manufacturers at a fraction of the normal price and sell them to consumer.

ALDI has an extensive PRIVATE-LABEL program. They have a very limited number of SKUs. They go to manufacturers and sign a contract with them to produce their products. Which companies they buy from is a company secret and is protected by confidentiality agreements. However, the product is produced for them and is a fresh product. They are able to offer lower prices as they order massive quantities of a relatively few number of products. In addition, by offering private labeled goods, they are avoiding the 5-10% markup that most manufacturers get for costs attributed to marketing the products. They also attain savings in that they do all of their own warehousing and distribution.

The two Albrecht brothers (ALDI Nord and ALDI Sud) became billionaires by engineering costs out of their supply chain from the supplier to the customer. If the cost does not benefit the customer, it is not incurred. ALDI is like a retail version of Toyota.

As for the trucker who is complaining about how ALDi requires him to remove the plastic wrap, he needs to realize that HIS EMPLOYER agreed to that provision when signing the contract with ALDI. I can tell you from experience that MANY retailers have provisions with manufacturers on how product is shipped - the number of cases per pallet and the like. For example, Walmart can reject some or all of a shipment if even one carton is damaged because they don't want to deal with the mess. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure it dows not happen.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:40 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,941,242 times
all you doubters will have your chance one the first store opens..
no close outs, no junk job lots, just private label, low prices, low overhead, period.

its not for everyone, and it cant really be your only store..
but, dont discount its worth, and, you might actually like their cereals, peanut butter, nuts, and their dairy products..

It always amazes me when people slam, insult, and marginalize things they never even experienced for themselves..

If you try it and hate it, fine, but to slam it and insult those who enjoy it, before you have ever even stepped foot in one is pretty silly..

Old 04-20-2018, 12:57 PM

712 posts, read 559,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
all you doubters will have your chance one the first store opens..
no close outs, no junk job lots, just private label, low prices, low overhead, period.

its not for everyone, and it cant really be your only store..
but, dont discount its worth, and, you might actually like their cereals, peanut butter, nuts, and their dairy products..

It always amazes me when people slam, insult, and marginalize things they never even experienced for themselves..

If you try it and hate it, fine, but to slam it and insult those who enjoy it, before you have ever even stepped foot in one is pretty silly..
I couldn't agree with this post more. If your so wealthy that saving money isn't an issue then its your call. People don't realize your paying for the name and the advertising. Staples such as milk, eggs, butter, heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, etc are as good as anything you can buy anywhere. They have organic products too.

I watched a friends son a year or so ago, this child has terrible reactions to dyes in certain foods. Aldi's have removed dyes and replaced them with vegetable powders. His mother said one day he ate "dorito's at his grandmother's house and came home in a rage he couldn't control. But he ate Aldi's Nacho Chips with zero issues.

I think to slam something without ever checking it out is sad. I personally am a big fan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area