Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

"United States District Judge Susan R. Bolton found Mr. Arpaio, 85, guilty of criminal contempt of court, a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail. Mr. Arpaio’s lawyers said he would appeal."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/u...a.html?mcubz=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Doubt much will happen, after his appeals and they'll say he was a good public servant, they'll let him go on with his life.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Doubt much will happen, after his appeals and they'll say he was a good public servant, they'll let him go on with his life.
His appeals will be rejected. He will be sentenced in October. The question is will he receive jail time. Unless Trump intervenes, I think he will receive jail time even if it's for one day just to send the message that no one is above the law.

Unfortunately, I think his legacy is tarnished. I think he will be compared to Al Capone. Like Capone, he was a person who felt he was above the law and untouchable. Capone dared the authorities to come after him and Joe did as well when he defied the Feds. And like Capone, he ultimately got caught and will face the music. Even if he spends no time in jail, he was ultimately convicted of a crime.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
He has cost the taxpayers of Maricopa County over $140 million dollars due to his unethical (at best) and illegal behavior. The stories about tent city and pink boxers might have made for colorful headlines, but this guy was little more than an abusive egomaniac.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
He has cost the taxpayers of Maricopa County over $140 million dollars due to his unethical (at best) and illegal behavior. The stories about tent city and pink boxers might have made for colorful headlines, but this guy was little more than an abusive egomaniac.
He developed a reputation for being tough on crime for punishing people at Tent City. What most outsiders don't know is 90% of the people serving at Tent City were there for non-violent crimes and many of them were not yet convicted and there for pre-trial. It's easy to be tough on the suburban kid with the DUI. I wonder if he would have resorted to those shenanigans if he was dealing with a standard prison population with MS13 gang members etc. Not so easy making them wear pink underwear

Old 08-01-2017, 02:53 AM

783 posts, read 576,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
His appeals will be rejected. He will be sentenced in October. The question is will he receive jail time. Unless Trump intervenes, I think he will receive jail time even if it's for one day just to send the message that no one is above the law.
I don't know, the illegals and the people pushing sanctuary cities seem to think that they're above the law. It's funny how those people never seem to be held to the same standard. I wish there were more elected officials like Joe Arpaio working to make sure that those people who are violating our laws are held accountable. It's no surprise they went after him with such fervor. But it's not going to change anything. Many Americans are tired of our hospitality being abused and people giving cover to criminals.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:19 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I don't know, the illegals and the people pushing sanctuary cities seem to think that they're above the law. It's funny how those people never seem to be held to the same standard. I wish there were more elected officials like Joe Arpaio working to make sure that those people who are violating our laws are held accountable. It's no surprise they went after him with such fervor. But it's not going to change anything. Many Americans are tired of our hospitality being abused and people giving cover to criminals.

You could not be more wrong,they are being held accountable so that is BS.joe Arpaio is nothing more than an ignorant man with a badge that thought he was above everyone else no different than trump,I hope he gets jail time.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:22 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I think he will get house arrest for 6 months and a fine.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:31 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think he will get house arrest for 6 months and a fine.

IMHO ,that's not enough.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:13 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Unfortunately, I think his legacy is tarnished. I think he will be compared to Al Capone. Like Capone, he was a person who felt he was above the law and untouchable. Capone dared the authorities to come after him and Joe did as well when he defied the Feds. And like Capone, he ultimately got caught and will face the music. Even if he spends no time in jail, he was ultimately convicted of a crime.
While no one should be above the law, neither should the law be unequally applied because of one's celebrity. Arpaio has been convicted of a misdemeanor. He has no prior convictions. There is no way, no how any one would serve jail time on a first misdemeanor outside of the DUI law. Arpaio deserves the same consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area