U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 PM

639 posts, read 2,551,800 times

Advertisements

I just rented a house and the owner is not paying for the pool service. I have no time and no clue on how to service a pool (never had one) and do not want to do more harm than good.

Who does everyone recommend? Is it a weekly thing or a bi-weekly thing? I want a good value but also someone who is good at what they do. I don't mind independent people as long as they are good and responsible at what they do.

Thanks, Eric
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 PM

919 posts, read 3,195,060 times
If you live near a pool supply store you should be able to take a water sample in for a free analysis. They'll run it through a computer and it'll spit out extactly what you need to add and how much (usually chlorine and/or acid). No need for the poolside test tubes and droppers. I swing by my local place every couple of weeks in the summer... takes 10 minutes.

The trickier part for non-owners is figuring out the system. Do you have a little crawler that goes around the bottom, sucking up dirt? Is it a new pool? Do you know where the filters are and how to clean them and backflush?

It might be worth paying someone $40 to stop by once and give you the scoop than pay $50 a month for someone to pop by for 15 minutes a week.

It's actually pretty easy once you know what to do.

Also, you didn't specify where you live. I'd imagine most good pool guys try to stay in a specific part of town, so let the board know where you reside and maybe someone knows a good lead nearby.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 AM

639 posts, read 2,551,800 times
Live in South Scottsdale. House is probably from late 60's. I don't think it matters but Paddock built the pool.

I have no idea what kind of filter I have. I am very clueless on how to do anything with the pool since I have never had one.

I know there is a vacuum thing that goes on the bottom.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 AM

162 posts, read 510,020 times
If you want to save a HECK of a lot of $$, check out troublefreepool.com and do some self research.
We also rent a house and had NO clue how to maintain a pool when we moved here 1 yr ago. After reading until my eyes bled, I opted to go with the BBB method mentioned on the above site.

Well, after 1 year, and an entire summer of a crystal clear pool, I can say that it works great. Best part is that I NEVER had to take water to ripoff pool store, and probably spent <$100 including the $50 test kit that I bought.

I never once added chlorine from the store, and ONLY used unscented ultra bleach. You will have your nay sayers, but trust me, it works great and is easy on the wallet. Go into walmart and get a cart full of bleach for $20, it will last you almost the entire summer.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: