Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
I'm not worried about a face-to-face. I can fly out on short notice for an interview. It's the problem of just being contacted. Granted I haven't really applied to many jobs.
I guess it can't hurt to just start applying to everything I qualify for.
I know I have the skills and experience....I get about 3 calls a week for jobs in my area (Philly).
I relocated to Phoenix from the Philly area a few years ago. I submitted resume's online from CareerBuilder.com and Jobing.com. I received email replies with one willing to hire me if I could be here in 2 weeks. Get your resume online and get started. You may be surprised! Should you decide to move without a job there are places here to rent month to month and 3-6 months leases. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by sablebaby; 06-29-2008 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: NOT allowed to advertise on this site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:24 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,890,295 times
When I was still in Myrtle Beach and applying for work here in Phoenix I was contacted by several companies including US Air but they pay cheap

My husband was also contacted when we were still in Myrtle Beach and they flew him out for an interview. It may have helped that we had previously lived in the Valley for a long time, I don't know.

I had also applied in other cities hoping we did not have to come back to Phoenix including Charlotte, Philly and Tampa and I never heard a word neither did my husband.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 PM

133 posts, read 375,137 times
I seem to be running into alot of age discrimination. People are actually visibly shocked to se a 50-year-old female Web developer. Is it that shocking or should I move to a more progressive state?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 PM

133 posts, read 375,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
I seem to be running into alot of age discrimination. People are actually visibly shocked to se a 50-year-old female Web developer. Is it that shocking or should I move to a more progressive state?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,011,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
Just asking....but how do you know it is age discrimination? If it is that obvious then why don't you take legal action? Could it be something else? I'm not doubting you, it is just that my husband is in the IT field and he works with a lot of women in your age group including his boss. If I felt someone was discriminating against me because of my age and it was that obvious then I would certainly be doing something about it!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,421,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
I have also applied for a lot of jobs in the phoenix area that I would qualify for. I have only had just a couple of people actually call me back. Everyone I have talked to is no employer would want to talk to someone that knows for sure they dont even live in Phoenix yet. At least that is the info I have gotten from other people
10-4...ditto that ghostrider! I think unless you're in a executive position or some important position, they generally tell you to call us once you're situated out here! the couple of recruiters that I spoke to echoed that sentiment as well

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,421,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad4ever View Post
I am planning to relocate without a job offer, limited funds, or a place to stay. Will let you know my experience if I make it.
Good luck for your job search, the market is really slow, hang in there.
aw jesus nomad, good luck and let us know how that pans out! From what i hear, if worst comes to worst, Walmart's are a plenty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area