U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:25 PM

161 posts, read 203,272 times

Advertisements

IMHO you won't find anything close to Central Market in Phoenix. As a foodie who always shopped at Central Market weekly, we certainly missed it when we moved to Phoenix. AJs isn't the same caliber- it has a small amount of gourmet items but nowhere near the vast quantity or selection as Central Market and is somewhat like a simplified Eatzi's without the Eatzi's European market ambiance. I shopped around at Whole Foods North Scottsdale (the largest one in the metro area), Fry's Marketplace (a glorified, large Kroger with an expanded wine bar, but even then, the bulk food, fresh ready made food and on-site bakery were similar quality as to what you'd find as an ordinary grocery store), Trader Joe's, and supplemented with getting organic produce from Costco and ordering HEB online (they deliver some Central Market products)...if you order over a certain amount, shipping is free. I also would get my spices at Penzey's Spices (Shea and Tatum).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 05:35 PM

8,483 posts, read 14,532,470 times
Maybe check out Defalco's for the oils and vinegars. They have some Italian items that you can't get at the mainstream stores. Unfortunately, we don't have a great variety of higher end food stores. This isn't exactly the most cultured area and because of that, places that you're used to likely wouldn't have much of a market here.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:25 PM

4,458 posts, read 9,677,888 times
Trust me, anything PHX has, will be better than ABQ offerings. Although I think I see some Dallas trips in my future. Betty_Baylor, thanks for the tips, I'll definitely check some of those places out. I left Dallas in 2000 and still miss Eatzi's all these years later.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 PM

2,386 posts, read 2,170,794 times
There is an Oil and vinegar shop in Chandler Fashion Mall
https://www.oilvinegar.com/en-us/

Check out these shops if you get up to Prescott.
https://oliveunaturally.com/

This place is fun and funky. It even has Superstition Meadery within the store!
You can shop for spices and then head downstairs for a flight of mead!
Welcome | Spice Traveler PrescottSpice Traveler Prescott

Old 08-26-2017, 11:34 AM

566 posts, read 618,310 times
For gourmet shopping you're going to have to go to several places to get what you want.
Cost Plus- has a variety of different foods, vinegar's, oils etc.
Lee Lee market-a really fun grocery store with foods from around the world
The French Grocery- I buy duck fat there and some other items. Small shop, but unique.
Homegoods- usually attached to TJ Maxx. I have found some really great vinegars and oils there. Pretty good deals on specialty spices as well. Not all of the stores are the same though. If you don't find anything in one location, try another.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:21 PM

8,483 posts, read 14,532,470 times
These are all great suggestions given what we have and I don't mean to disparage them, but it's pretty sad when a newcomer asks for gourmet grocers and we offer up Whole Foods (me), Cost Plus and Home Goods. I think that's partially a product of cheap housing being one of our largest attracter.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:38 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,625,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
These are all great suggestions given what we have and I don't mean to disparage them, but it's pretty sad when a newcomer asks for gourmet grocers and we offer up Whole Foods (me), Cost Plus and Home Goods. I think that's partially a product of cheap housing being one of our largest attracter.
There's quite a few options depending on what you're looking for.
La Grande Orange Grocery

Luci's Healthy Marketplace

http://andreoli-grocer.com/

Open Air Market at the Phoenix Public Market |

DeFalco's Italian Eatery - Scottsdale, Arizona

Gelato Dolce Vita and Grocery

allpierogi

Old 08-26-2017, 08:34 PM

4,458 posts, read 9,677,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I wouldn't blame your housing. Not every city has gourmet grocery stores. PHX has a large % of retirees and it's entirely possible a majority prefer to eat out rather than cook-that could be an influencing factor. PHX does have some good restaurants. I was just hoping that there would be some good grocery offerings because of the size of PHX. Tampa didn't have a whole lot of gourmet grocery offerings either. I'll definitely check out all the suggestions everyone has provided, even the Whole Foods location that was mentioned.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,625,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I wouldn't blame your housing. Not every city has gourmet grocery stores. PHX has a large % of retirees and it's entirely possible a majority prefer to eat out rather than cook-that could be an influencing factor. PHX does have some good restaurants. I was just hoping that there would be some good grocery offerings because of the size of PHX. Tampa didn't have a whole lot of gourmet grocery offerings either. I'll definitely check out all the suggestions everyone has provided, even the Whole Foods location that was mentioned.
It's not a blame on housing it's on the economy, Phoenix grew really fast and basically created an economic engine that was very dependent on growth. As a result something like 4 out of 10 jobs were based on housing growth back in the 90s-early 2000s. It's still a key piece of the economy here but I don't think we're as dependent on housing now since frankly it's never returned to nearly the size it used to be.

I did list a bunch of gourmet/smaller markets but I'm not aware of anything like that mega HEB you posted in Houston. I think the bigger trend here is on farmers markets and other smaller specialty stores as opposed to mega stores.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:56 PM

95 posts, read 236,956 times
What are gourmet grocery stores? What items should those stores normally carry? Any examples of items?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area