U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:37 PM

4,458 posts, read 9,686,993 times

Advertisements

By "gourmet", I mean something along the lines of HEB Central Market in Houston or the old Simon David flagship stores in Dallas. Please tell me there are some.....

And no, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's do not qualify as "gourmet" in my book.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:46 PM

2,386 posts, read 2,175,528 times
AJ's Fine Foods. Several locations in the valley.

https://www.ajsfinefoods.com/

Old 08-23-2017, 07:50 PM

Cool, AJ's looks a little like Eatzi's in Dallas. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM

8,496 posts, read 14,557,185 times
I know this isn't want you're looking for but the Whole Foods flagship store in N Phoenix off of Scottsdale Road is pretty amazing and has some hard to find stuff. I find AJ's to be fairly average and overpriced, much like normal Basha's stores. Anything in particular, ingredient-wise, that you're looking for?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:09 PM

Lots of stuff. Good example, a wider variety of balsamic vinegars. Here you can get regular, fig if you're lucky, and pomegranite. Oh, and raspberry at Smiths (it's awesome). It would be nice to find espresso, assorted fruit infused white balsamic vinegars, etc. Herb infused oils would be nice too. You can get the oils and some vinegars at high end olive oils shops, but they're very pricey. The grocery store pricing, when they carry it, is lower. I know I can order online but the shipping is high (packaging mainly). I'm almost at the point that I'm going to figure out how to make them myself (this could actually be fun). Lots of other things I can't think of offhand. I got spoiled living in Dallas and Houston. There are some amazing grocery stores there and I haven't really found anything comparable since I moved from Houston in 2001 I was hoping PHX might have some good offerings. I could easily spend 2 hours shopping in a grocery store with a wide variety of stuff.

My other option is to start visiting my friends in Dallas more often and bring stuff back. Now that I'll be able to cheap direct flights, it might be worth it

Last edited by yukon; 08-23-2017 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,635,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Lots of stuff. Good example, a wider variety of balsamic vinegars. Here you can get regular, fig if you're lucky, and pomegranite. Oh, and raspberry at Smiths (it's awesome). It would be nice to find espresso, assorted fruit infused white balsamic vinegars, etc. Herb infused oils would be nice too. You can get the oils and some vinegars at high end olive oils shops, but they're very pricey. The grocery store pricing, when they carry it, is lower. I know I can order online but the shipping is high (packaging mainly). I'm almost at the point that I'm going to figure out how to make them myself (this could actually be fun). Lots of other things I can't think of offhand. I got spoiled living in Dallas and Houston. There are some amazing grocery stores there and I haven't really found anything comparable since I moved from Houston in 2001 I was hoping PHX might have some good offerings. I could easily spend 2 hours shopping in a grocery store with a wide variety of stuff.

My other option is to start visiting my friends in Dallas more often and bring stuff back. Now that I'll be able to cheap direct flights, it might be worth it
Based on your love for oils you should checkout the olive mill in queen creek, nice spot for any variety of olive oil you could ever imagine.

I know you're looking for stores but figured I'd mention this as well.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Based on your love for oils you should checkout the olive mill in queen creek, nice spot for any variety of olive oil you could ever imagine.

I know you're looking for stores but figured I'd mention this as well.
Thanks! I will check them out too! I got hooked on herbs, oils and vinegars when I had to cut most salt out of my diet. I was amazed at how all that stuff tastes and the endless possibilities in cooking. The espresso balsamic vinegar is really good as a marinade for steak.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 AM

17,667 posts, read 23,468,656 times
Olive Gourmet – Fine Oils and Vinegars

https://www.outrageousoliveoil.com

Sedona Arizona's finest gourmet extra virgin olive oils and vinegars

I was never a fan of Queen Creek oils. Cute place, though, and nice people.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I know this isn't want you're looking for but the Whole Foods flagship store in N Phoenix off of Scottsdale Road is pretty amazing and has some hard to find stuff. I find AJ's to be fairly average and overpriced, much like normal Basha's stores. Anything in particular, ingredient-wise, that you're looking for?
AJ's is hit or miss depending on the location. They don't all carry the same thing. The one off I10 in Chandler seemed like a glorified Bashas, where as the one in Dana Park is much better. They carry a lot of hard to find wine and other imported goods.

Also checkout Natural Grocers and Sprouts.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:24 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,592,527 times
I would recommend checking out Luci's Healthy Marketplace in north central Phoenix, as well. It's a smaller local place but it's a great little spot and they have a coffee shop/cafe that serves up some really good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area