Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,977,873 times

Advertisements

The comment about the call centers reminded me of a funny story. I was working in computers, mostly phone work at 21st and Thomas in 1996. There was a call center, employing thirty or 49 in the building. We shared the same smoking area. I became acquainted with a lady in her mid twenties, and she seemed OK..so I asked her if she was up for Happy Hour at George and Dragon's after work...not the first time I have been turned down for a date, but the reason was that she was actually on work release and while I was checking into the bar; she would be checking back into jail. It was a face palm, but I moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:04 PM

35 posts, read 149,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The comment about the call centers reminded me of a funny story. I was working in computers, mostly phone work at 21st and Thomas in 1996. There was a call center, employing thirty or 49 in the building. We shared the same smoking area. I became acquainted with a lady in her mid twenties, and she seemed OK..so I asked her if she was up for Happy Hour at George and Dragon's after work...not the first time I have been turned down for a date, but the reason was that she was actually on work release and while I was checking into the bar; she would be checking back into jail. It was a face palm, but I moved on.
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George "dated" the female inmate. He was looking forward to the conjugal visit but it never happened.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:11 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,305,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I wish D in Trouble would post so we know everything is ok. The first few days, weeks, months in a new place are mind blowing. You don't know if you are coming or going.
Might even be a fake. Who knows?

Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM

64 posts, read 49,819 times
Hi I'm here but plan on returning back to NY with a horrible credit score of around 500 nobody will rent to me (can't say as I blame them I wouldn't either) also I really can't take the heat I thought I could but can't. I need to file file for bankruptcy and if I stay it won't cover NY state taxes which amounts to around 8000. But more importantly I miss my home state of NY and have reached out to family members and they were understanding and supportive. To all that told me not to come down you were right. I do have to say that everyone I have met here has been super nice which is super awesome. I guess this was an eye opening lesson although expensive. I hope my building takes me back on Tuesday as it will just be the first business day since I left on Friday. I know it's only to days but I'm not good with the heat (I'm a idiot what was I thinking) I would like to thank everyone for there kind words but I need to get back to NY that's where I belong

Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Not a fake shopped in food city yesterday and bought a new charger from cricket wireless for my phone which is a couple of blocks away

Old 09-03-2017, 04:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,813,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in trouble View Post
Hi I'm here but plan on returning back to NY with a horrible credit score of around 500 nobody will rent to me (can't say as I blame them I wouldn't either) also I really can't take the heat I thought I could but can't. I need to file file for bankruptcy and if I stay it won't cover NY state taxes which amounts to around 8000. But more importantly I miss my home state of NY and have reached out to family members and they were understanding and supportive. To all that told me not to come down you were right. I do have to say that everyone I have met here has been super nice which is super awesome. I guess this was an eye opening lesson although expensive. I hope my building takes me back on Tuesday as it will just be the first business day since I left on Friday. I know it's only to days but I'm not good with the heat (I'm a idiot what was I thinking) I would like to thank everyone for there kind words but I need to get back to NY that's where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Might even be a fake. Who knows?
That's what I'm thinking too.

Sorry but if you don't do well with the heat the first place on your list shouldn't be a desert! Also, who in their right mind would travel across the country knowing the have horrible credit and not look into renting a place before coming out here especially since everyone here warned him first? I know people get homesick but it's only been two days. I hate to say it but I call BS on this whole post!

Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,791,068 times
Well first off, I am happy to see that you got here okay. That in and of itself is pretty amazing with all that's went on this week with Harvey and your traveling with a large senior dog all the way from NY with no car. Unlike a few others, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe what you've posted here about your situation, crazy as it is.

It seems that you've made quite a few mistakes (who hasn't?) and I was really hoping that you would have changed your mind and not moved to Phoenix, but seeing that you did, I agree with you that it is best for you and your dog to go back home to NY, where you have family that can help support you, if not physically taking you in or financially, then at least emotionally as you work through your problems.

I have made quite a few mistakes myself in life and although there are many positives to the Phoenix area, the heat isn't one of them (imho ). One mistake that I try not to do, is to post all my mistakes here online, so that people can disseminate them and make me feel worse than I already do. So I have a little bit of advice for you DIT. I am certain that with some effort you can turn your life around, though it may take awhile. Seek out professional and financial help in your city and don't post too much info on here, but do let us know that you made it safely back to NY.

Best wishes to you! Stay strong and do not give up hope for a better life in the not too distant future !

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in trouble View Post

Old 09-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Thanks HDL that's very kind of you

Old 09-04-2017, 08:58 PM

212 posts, read 229,271 times
Deep in trouble: Sorry it didn't work out for you
Be Safe! And have a safe trip back to your home state.
Hope all goes well for you.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 PM

212 posts, read 229,271 times
it took me about 6 years of the 13 Ive been here to acclimate to this weather, I still think it's God Awful Hot, But it doesn't feel as bad as it did in june 2004, when I first stepped out of my Air Conditioned car and thought my shoes would melt on the pavement. Nobody Acclimates to this place quickly, it takes time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area