Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 07:59 PM

410 posts, read 401,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
It's good to see Phoenix move up to more professional jobs.
2021 top industries in the Phoenix area

1. Professional and business services (17% of jobs)
  2. Education and health services (16% of jobs)
  3. Retail and wholesale trade (15% of jobs)
  4. Government (Nearly 11% of jobs)
  5. Leisure and hospitality (10% of jobs)
  6. Financial activities (9% of jobs)
  7. Manufacturing (6% of jobs)
  8. Construction (6% of jobs)
  9. Transportation, warehouse and utilities (5% of jobs)
  10. "Other services" (3% of jobs)
  11. Information (Nearly 2%)
  12. Mining and logging (Less than 1%)
2011 top industries in the Phoenix area

1. Retail and wholesale trade (16.5%)
  2. Professional and business services (16%)
  3. Education and health services (14.5%)
  4. Government (13%)
  5. Leisure and hospitality (10%)
  6. Financial activites (8.5%)
  7. Manufacturing (6.5%)
  8. Construction (5%)
  9. Tie: Transportation, warehouse and utilities (Nearly 4%)
  10. Tie: "Other services" (Nearly 4%)
  11. Information (Nearly 2%)
  12. Mining and logging (Less than 1%)
Good to see its hardly changed in 11 years lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 09:41 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,304,718 times
Hipsters are no longer hip they all grew up , we need GEN Z to change the landscape , we need the ZOOMERS to come here and set up their IGEN CORPUS mindset. Hipsters with their, IPADS, beards, flannel and carefully curated Vinyl record collections have moved on. They retired to Portlandia. But it is so fricking hot here , who wants to be soaked in sweat by the time they reach their cool hang out ? you cant ride your electric scooter to work without taking another shower at work. So I am asking GENZ , you Zoomers to install more showers , locker rooms and such things in your new High tech or low tech businesses. The Boomers get to drive their motorized golf carts to the grocery store before it reaches 100 degrees at 9 AM .
Please zoomers take over and install some showers !! politics , climate change who cares !!

Old 10-07-2023, 09:04 AM

2,022 posts, read 872,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Hipsters are no longer hip they all grew up , we need GEN Z to change the landscape , we need the ZOOMERS to come here and set up their IGEN CORPUS mindset. Hipsters with their, IPADS, beards, flannel and carefully curated Vinyl record collections have moved on. They retired to Portlandia. But it is so fricking hot here , who wants to be soaked in sweat by the time they reach their cool hang out ? you cant ride your electric scooter to work without taking another shower at work. So I am asking GENZ , you Zoomers to install more showers , locker rooms and such things in your new High tech or low tech businesses. The Boomers get to drive their motorized golf carts to the grocery store before it reaches 100 degrees at 9 AM .
Please zoomers take over and install some showers !! politics , climate change who cares !!
You are aleady doomed to failure. Pleading with others to make the changes that you are unable to accomplish? That's sad...

Old 10-07-2023, 11:05 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,278,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
6 Up and Coming US Tech Cities

In the 2023 DICE Tech Salary report, Phoenix witnessed the fastest growing increase in salary from the previous year (+26.2%).

Tech employment has steadily increased in Phoenix over the last decade, and with a projected growth of 4700 new jobs in 2023, this growth does not look like slowing down. As a matter of fact, CompTIA has projected that the entire state of Arizona with see the 6th highest increase in tech occupation growth over the next decade.

In addition to being the fifth-largest city in the US, ‘The Valley’ has grown to become the fifth-largest data centre market in the country and is now ranked as the ninth-largest globally.

Companies will be provided with confidence in Phoenix as one of the up and coming tech cities due to its ability to bounce back after the covid-19 pandemic, replacing all of its lost jobs by the middle of 2021. Phoenix’s powers of recovery from the economic impact of the pandemic can be likened to the mythical creature of the same name!

Although situated in the southwest, non-stop flights are available from London to Phoenix, meaning the city is accessible for European businesses if they have offices on both sides of the Atlantic.

Furthermore, the city's lower cost of living compared to major tech hubs like Silicon Valley makes it an attractive destination for start-ups and tech companies looking to establish a presence with operational costs of 36% less than in neighbouring California.

Phoenix is a welcoming city for multinational companies and small start-ups alike. Companies such as Amazon, Deloitte, Intel, and TikTok all have a presence in the city whilst PHX Startup Week provides education and support to entrepreneurs.

The city's business-friendly policies and proactive initiatives by organisations such as the Greater Phoenix Economic Council have also played a crucial role in attracting tech companies and nurturing a culture of innovation. As Phoenix continues to evolve and cultivate its tech ecosystem, it solidifies its position as a rising star among up-and-coming tech cities in the United States.
https://pgcgroup.com/blog/6-up-and-c...us-tech-cities
Sounds encouraging overall, but we need to focus on more than just the tech sector. Besides, I wouldn't really be boasting about being a huge data center market. This is a segment that isn't exactly high paying ... and data centers are just one piece of the major tech companies, many of which are based out of state. The Phoenix area should become more of a major market for banking/investment, insurance, manufacturing, and pharmaceutical firms as well. You'd think our business friendly climate and lower costs (compared to CA) would make Phoenix a magnet for more HQs to be here, but many of them have moved to places like Texas. We should study their business models and find out what makes them more attractive for big business, then take action.

Old 10-07-2023, 11:21 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,222,437 times
Living in Flagstaff, I don't get down Phoenix way very often. But driving the 303, I'm not sure that hipsters would be compatible with the sea of warehouses/distribution centers there. Seems more of a blue-collar environment.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:43 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,278,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Living in Flagstaff, I don't get down Phoenix way very often. But driving the 303, I'm not sure that hipsters would be compatible with the sea of warehouses/distribution centers there. Seems more of a blue-collar environment.
The Loop 303 corridor is in an outer suburban area where warehouses & distribution centers belong. Actually, there's nothing wrong with this because they're replacing farm land, which is a water glutton. One of the reasons for the warehouse boom in the west Valley is: the facilities in southern CA are limited on space, so they need a place where they can build larger centers for reduced leasing costs. Also, hipsters are usually more comfortable in an urban setting, which would primarily be downtown Phoenix or Tempe.

Old 10-07-2023, 03:56 PM

13,802 posts, read 8,032,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sounds encouraging overall, but we need to focus on more than just the tech sector. Besides, I wouldn't really be boasting about being a huge data center market. This is a segment that isn't exactly high paying ... and data centers are just one piece of the major tech companies, many of which are based out of state. The Phoenix area should become more of a major market for banking/investment, insurance, manufacturing, and pharmaceutical firms as well. You'd think our business friendly climate and lower costs (compared to CA) would make Phoenix a magnet for more HQs to be here, but many of them have moved to places like Texas. We should study their business models and find out what makes them more attractive for big business, then take action.

Exactly. By and large I find the Phx metro has a live and live attitude. Isn't too far to left or right. Yes, the summers are extreme. However, my experience over the past four years has been you get acclimated. Now, I'm certainly not going jogging but as long as I'm wearing a big floppy hat...getting to and from my car isn't an issue. Az is also next door to Ca and the cost of living as you mentioned is s much less here.

For sure the Phx metro is on the list of areas companies leaving wealthier states consider but there's also a lot of competition.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:42 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,155,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The Loop 303 corridor is in an outer suburban area where warehouses & distribution centers belong. Actually, there's nothing wrong with this because they're replacing farm land, which is a water glutton. One of the reasons for the warehouse boom in the west Valley is: the facilities in southern CA are limited on space, so they need a place where they can build larger centers for reduced leasing costs. Also, hipsters are usually more comfortable in an urban setting, which would primarily be downtown Phoenix or Tempe.
Let's not forget I-11 is being proposed I-11 & Intermountain West Corridor Study

Old 10-11-2023, 03:46 PM

Default oh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
You are aleady doomed to failure. Pleading with others to make the changes that you are unable to accomplish? That's sad...
so very very Sad
I DOOMED 1 DOOMED !!

Old 10-11-2023, 03:47 PM

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
so very very Sad
I DOOMED 1 DOOMED !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area